Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do You Wear Team Logo Apparel?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Wear Logo’d Apparel?
No never, wouldn’t even think of it
57.14%
I only fly my own racing teams colors
16.33%
Enjoy logo’d apparel and makes me feel more racy
2.04%
Some times
15.31%
I mix and match logo’d and non-logo’d
11.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Wear Team Logo Apparel?

Old 02-28-22, 08:43 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Me and My Mechanic

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 02-28-22, 09:33 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
I don't have and likely wouldn't buy any "team" jerseys since I have no association with such. I also generally don't care to pay to advertise some brand, though if I wouldn't eschew something on clearance if I liked the jersey for other reasons. Only thing I have with big logos is this jersey I bought for the fun of it.

Likes For gpburdell:
Old 02-28-22, 09:58 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I've never understood why it's ok for basketball/football/baseball/hockey/soccer/F1 fans to wear team gear all over the place, but if a cyclist does this, they're somehow seen as some kind of poseur pretending to be on the team. I can't actually think of another sport where this scenario applies.

I see people wearing college/pro basketball jerseys at the gym all the time. Never once have I been like "oh wow, is that actually Lebron James using that cardio machine?".
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 02-28-22, 10:10 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I've never understood why it's ok for basketball/football/baseball/hockey/soccer/F1 fans to wear team gear all over the place, but if a cyclist does this, they're somehow seen as some kind of poseur pretending to be on the team. I can't actually think of another sport where this scenario applies.

I see people wearing college/pro basketball jerseys at the gym all the time. Never once have I been like "oh wow, is that actually Lebron James using that cardio machine?".
You are quite off base.
Nobody is wearing a basketball or football jersey and trying to claim they are doing so for aero or tech benefits
Old 02-28-22, 10:15 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la

Head asplode for the "team kit" hater..........here's a pic I took at the 2018 Tour....I think 2018. Folks in Europe treat cycling like the US does American football. You have fan clubs that wear team kit and meet up to eat food and watch the game. Here you have the same thing at one of "Cycling's Superbowls", the Le Tour. Fan club that rode into town the day before down the Champs and went to their reserved restaurant to watch Stage 20 close out. What fun!

More fun than the guy getting angry on the road or internet chat at seeing team kit or rainbow stripes.

Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-28-22, 10:33 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 682 Posts
When I raced, I wore the team outfit at every event or group ride. Now I wear whatever comes at a good price. That's usually plain jerseys, but Hammer Nutrition had a great deal on quality stuff once and I didn't mind sporting their name to save a few bucks, and there was a sale on Tour of California merch once that lead to me buying a jersey for less than $20.
Old 02-28-22, 10:39 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
I selected "I only fly my own racing teams colors", but I do have some other kits I wear from time to time. Like, I've got a DAMn kit as a 3x DAMn champion; I was gifted a Bianchi kit that I like to wear when riding my Bianchi; and a couple kits I bought to support local businesses. I will ride bibs and jersey any time I ride for training, fitness, and racing. OTOH, I ride in street cloths all the time when running errands.

Birchwood team kit

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 02-28-22 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added pic
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 02-28-22, 10:47 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Nobody is wearing a basketball or football jersey and trying to claim they are doing so for aero or tech benefits
Does this nonsense make sense to you?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-28-22, 10:48 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I sometimes wear used jerseys from obscure amateur teams because you can buy hem cheap.
I remember when probikekit.com was pretty much just this.
Old 02-28-22, 10:50 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I guess technically I am still on the local racing team but since I have not raced in several years, the jerseys tend to remain hung in the bicycle kit closet.

I do break the no team jersey with one old, old jersey from the 70's. Nobody would think my a poseur sporting that thing and I do often get compliments on it.

If a pro kit makes someone smile and gets them on their bike, who cares? That is how I think of it.....except I wouldn't do it myself.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-28-22, 10:51 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I have worn "sponsor" type or "club" logo jersey. One of my favorites was from a local brewery ride. I don't have any "team" kit and don't suspect I will. They typically don't offer that stuff in big boy sizes.
Old 02-28-22, 10:52 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
...and a couple kits I bought to support local businesses.
What local stuff, out of curiosity? I can't say that I've seen many; the only one that I can think of, off the top of my head, is Kramarczuk's.

Edit: Oh! And Fulton! Living in the Fulton neighborhood, that should have come to me sooner
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
So what are my racing team colors? Lets see... On my white bike its Grey, on my black bike its Orange, on my oragne bike its Black... What Fun!
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I just about never wear team logo jerseys, especially mountain biking.

I have an ADR Agrigel reproduction jersey I’ll wear in July.

I also picked up an extra light Borah Teamwear packable wind breaker for $15 off ebay. It is so hideous, but works really well so I’ll wear it when I need an extra layer.

John
Old 02-28-22, 10:55 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by alcjphil
That doesn't mean that those teams don't have sponsors. I still wear the team kit I bought from the amateur team I used race for and it is covered with logos from the companies that support the team
Yes, this is my point. There's a notion that pops up in these threads that team kit = pro wannabe.
Old 02-28-22, 11:19 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by caloso
Yes, this is my point. There's a notion that pops up in these threads that team kit = pro wannabe.
That's just funny to me ... I wear my local team kit as a fully committed amateur and I *spend my money* to wear companies logos. I'd hate to think anybody'd *pay* money to this old dork on a bike.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 02-28-22, 11:43 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by WhyFi
What local stuff, out of curiosity? I can't say that I've seen many; the only one that I can think of, off the top of my head, is Kramarczuk's.

Edit: Oh! And Fulton! Living in the Fulton neighborhood, that should have come to me sooner
I've always like the Fulton kit ... I don't have one, but they are good looking!

My local kits are all mostly old, I have too many kits to justify buying more than the latest team kit.

Here's my local kits: Surly Brewing Furious; Excelsior Brewing; Four Firkins (sadly closed); MPLS Bike Love (sadly no longer a thing); Birch's On The Lake (freebie event jersey); there's a couple Twin Six winter jackets; also other non-local kits old New Belgium jersey; and the so old it's cool Specialized jersey.

(You got me to dig through the closet, so you got the full run down of non
Birchwood kits )

That really old Specialized jersey I bought back in the early 90s (pic from WNCX at Aquila Park many years ago)

Still my favorite jersey, MPLS Bike Love with Art of Adam Turman design! (pic is post 'Royal' Westside Dirty Benjamin many years ago)

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 02-28-22 at 02:45 PM.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 02-28-22, 11:59 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
No, I don't wear any pro team replica outfits. I think it looks rather dorky personally. Now if you're one of the actual drugged up cycling pros that competes in the big cycling classics it looks cool. Everyone else, the wannabe's, just looks like a dork. Cycling clothing looks pretty geeky anyway so I try to minimize that geek factor as best I can on me.
What I do wear is maybe an event jersey that I rode in. Other than that, it's pretty much just very generic cycling clothing that you order online now that my go to LBS closed their brick and mortar stores.
Old 02-28-22, 12:15 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
I've also found that I get less attention from the Bubbas/coal rollers/cycling/haters if I dress as unassuming as possible. It helps to play possum on the bike.
Old 02-28-22, 12:38 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
No, I don't wear any pro team replica outfits. I think it looks rather dorky personally. Now if you're one of the actual drugged up cycling pros that competes in the big cycling classics it looks cool. Everyone else, the wannabe's, just looks like a dork. Cycling clothing looks pretty geeky anyway so I try to minimize that geek factor as best I can on me.
What I do wear is maybe an event jersey that I rode in. Other than that, it's pretty much just very generic cycling clothing that you order online now that my go to LBS closed their brick and mortar stores.
What about the clean amateur masters racers who compete in downtown crits and farm country road races?
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-28-22, 12:41 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
What about the clean amateur masters racers who compete in downtown crits and farm country road races?
What about them?
Old 02-28-22, 12:48 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I wear whatever stuff my wife buys me. She got me stuff for christmas with some names on it. I don't know if its a team or the maker of the clothes. Looks neat tho I guess. I don't even remotely follow pro racing so I wouldn't know ship from shinola when it comes to that. If I don't wear what the missus buys me I have to buy my own clothes !!
Old 02-28-22, 01:16 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4840 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
One could make the argument that it's no different than a fan wearing the jersey of his favorite team/player when he goes to watch that team/player play. The difference, however, is that you're just watching. With cycling, you're actually participating in the same activity.
Old 02-28-22, 01:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
I wear whatever is bright and colorful for greater visibility. I typically mix and match non-logo’d with logo’d so I don’t appear to be a total poser but I’m not fooling anyone either. I do think it makes me pedal a bit harder. The best deals I have found for any type of budget cycling apparel is on AliExpress but then you get what you pay for.
Old 02-28-22, 01:20 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I'm OK with reproduction vintage team jerseys, beer jerseys and some college jerseys (places I attended or worked). I've sometimes pondered doing the experiment of getting a POW/MIA jersey and seeing if that warded off the truckin' rednecks and coal-rollers, but I'm not that cynical.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.