Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Tires for steep gravel, 700

Old 05-17-22, 10:56 PM
EricOnHisBike

Bikes: 1995? Diamondback Apex, 2000 Specialized Allez Elite, 2021 Giant Revolt 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Tires for steep gravel, 700

I think it's time to take off the stock tires that came on my 2021 Giant Revolt 2. It came with some Giant tires listed as 700 x 38 that measure out to 40mm wide.

I'm not looking for something with general versatility, my biggest concern is Washington state gravel mountain roads that can be as steep as 10% and more.
Giant indicates my bike can take as wide as 700x45. I'm not considering switching to 650b rims at this point.
My top contenders are the Schwalbe G-One Bite/Ultrabite combination in 700 x 45, Teravail Rutland in in 700 x 42 or the WTB Raddler in 700 x 44.
Any thoughts on these tires?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-22, 04:20 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 127 Posts
I climb 15% loose gravel roads on 38mm Barlow Pass and 40mm Ventures with only some rear wheel slip when standing. Ventures work better for me, but Barlows are okay. Having good legs on the day, and technique are important.
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 05-18-22, 06:53 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Wider tires will help, as will knobby tread. But if you're worried about the rear tire slipping on steep climbs, the biggest factor is technique: try to remain seated, or at least keep your weight over the rear wheel, and make sure your gearing is low enough.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-18-22, 07:09 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Wider tires will help, as will knobby tread. But if you're worried about the rear tire slipping on steep climbs, the biggest factor is technique: try to remain seated, or at least keep your weight over the rear wheel, and make sure your gearing is low enough.
This.

10% is not really that steep and pretty much any tire with knobs on it will give you the grip you need. It's the technique of keeping your rear tire planted while still keeping enough weight on the front to make your bike go where you want it to.

I hit a dirt section that gets to around 20% last night and was in a full crouch over my bike when riding it.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 05-18-22, 01:53 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by EricOnHisBike
I think it's time to take off the stock tires that came on my 2021 Giant Revolt 2. It came with some Giant tires listed as 700 x 38 that measure out to 40mm wide.

I'm not looking for something with general versatility, my biggest concern is Washington state gravel mountain roads that can be as steep as 10% and more.
Giant indicates my bike can take as wide as 700x45. I'm not considering switching to 650b rims at this point.
My top contenders are the Schwalbe G-One Bite/Ultrabite combination in 700 x 45, Teravail Rutland in in 700 x 42 or the WTB Raddler in 700 x 44.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I've been on WTB Riddler 700x45 for over 5,000 miles (on my second set) and very happy. Minnesota is not known for mountains, but we have the Driftless Region and that area is home to many of our gravel races. We see 15% grades on gravel climbs, and with my gearing and the Riddlers, I can climb most anything (as long as my lung and legs are trashed).

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 05-18-22, 09:19 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
The stock Giant tires are horrible by the way as they have a very stiff casing and a pretty mediocre tread compound. Most any tire is going to be a huge improvement, and low tire pressure is always a helper in addition to good technique as mentioned above.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 05-19-22, 04:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
descending at higher speeds on gravel, on the large side & kinda loose = tricky fun
Old 05-19-22, 12:22 PM
EricOnHisBike

Bikes: 1995? Diamondback Apex, 2000 Specialized Allez Elite, 2021 Giant Revolt 2

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies. Good to know dwmckee that almost any tire I get will be an improvement.
Likes For EricOnHisBike:
Old 05-20-22, 07:43 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
dwmckee 's advice is rock solid, and so is the bit about technique. Combine any tire with a supple carcass (120tpi or higher) and practice good climbing technique, and you won't have much to worry about. Tread pattern is not as important as some people think. My advice is to go with what gives you the supple carcass, stay wider (38mm at minimum) and set it up tubeless–if you you haven't already–for better low pressure performance.
Old 05-20-22, 10:18 AM
EricOnHisBike

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, it came setup tubeless and I was going to stick with that. I've done a lot of paved climbing lately, but my last gravel climbing was August of last year, so I'm sure some practice will be in order.
Old 05-20-22, 12:29 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 276 Posts
I just got the Teravail Rutlands on my gravel bike and was very impressed with their performance. I'm in Southern California and it's all steep here. Descending this morning in foggy, moist, rocky, and sandy conditions was very confidence inspiring on these tires. I switched from some Schwalbe Thunder Burts that were light but very iffy on the steep stuff...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 05-30-22, 03:45 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Stay seated. It sucks, it's brutal. But unless there's enough texture to grab onto, stay seated.
Likes For Hmmm:
Old 06-03-22, 01:34 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts

While technique helps gears and tires make a night and day difference. Don't kid yourself. I mostly ride around on 32mm gravel king slicks. I have 40T in the back and can get up most things that trouble some mnt bikers. Yet there's this one section I can't on my gravel bike. I have tried a few different tires. All of them less than 38mm though. and nothing with great big knobby. I want my gravel bike to be able to do 50+ miles on the road at reasonable speed ( 15+ ) and then hit gravel. I think I must have done this section at least 5 times on my gravel bike with 3 sets of tires. never made it up. I took my new mnt bike ( blur 2022 ) on it's 2nd day and went right up it. My heart rate was 175+ ha-ha and I was slow ( like 2mph ) but it kept up chugging along.

mnt bike Blur Maxxis Aspen, 29"x2.4WT, 3C, EXO, TR ( 2.4 inches is about 61 mm )
grvl bike 32mm gravel king, stock revolt adv 2 tires, wtb something. can't remember. ( with 40T. I would die with the factory 34t on this hill )
Old 06-03-22, 01:41 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by EricOnHisBike

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
I have the same bike. The factory tires are horrible. The gravel kings "SLICKS" are better for most things, if you can believe that. The one area the factory tire seems to better than any tire I have is how damn durable it is. There's reason it so damn heavy! I have got a few side wall punctures with my gravel kings, what ever goes factory on the new IBIS MX gravel bike.

If you have not already I would put a 40T cassette on the back. Just have to buy a new chain and back out the b screw. Makes staying seated with your weight on the back tire easier.
Likes For sean.hwy: