Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What to do with old bicycle chain

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What to do with old bicycle chain

Old 06-14-22, 06:33 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 50 Posts
What to do with old bicycle chain?

I just replaced my bike's chain and wonder if the old one can be recycled in any way?

I'm not into bicycle chain crafts, so I won't be making a belt or lamp out of it. Besides, it is quite greasy and I'd prefer not to clean it, if I don't have to.

I checked the local recycling company and its website says nothing about bike chains. Before I chuck it into the landfill, I wanted to ask if there is a place to recycle bike chains that you know of?
Old 06-14-22, 07:30 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 273 Posts
I volunteer at a big city high volume bike Co-op. Our mission is to recycle, reuse and provide low-cost bike solutions for the community.

Please do NOT donate your worn and/or mangled chain to your local Co-op. We'll just inherent a greasy mess that will take time to check for stretch and then quickly discard. Then as sure as the world turns, someone will fish it out of our metal recycling and try and fit it on a bike and suffer all kinds of skipping and accelerated drivetrain wear. They will then come back to our mechanics for a solution to their problems, wasting more of our time. Or even better, say that they'd brought if from us, and it was defective so want a refund or replacement.

The optimum societal solution is to discard deep into steel recycling, and then lock it.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 06-14-22, 07:54 PM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
Some people use old chains to lock the saddle to the frame, with a rubber tube covering much of the length. Perhaps it would be valuable to the Co-op if it were labeled to only use to secure a saddle.
Old 06-14-22, 07:57 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
I give um to a friend of mine who uses them for forging Demascus blades. He is always interested in good steel...
Old 06-14-22, 10:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Trueblood
Some people use old chains to lock the saddle to the frame, with a rubber tube covering much of the length. Perhaps it would be valuable to the Co-op if it were labeled to only use to secure a saddle.
No, they don't need that, they can get plenty of old chains for that. That is not going to be a problem for them. Donating useful stuff is good but donating trash for them to throw away isn't so helpful.

Without cleaning it, it probably would just go to trash maybe with some cleaning you could recycle it somewhere but I would think they wouldn't take it super nasty like that.
Old 06-14-22, 10:16 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
I am surprised that San Fran does not have organized metal recycling. A chain would be considered for steel recycling
Old 06-15-22, 07:13 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I put my chains in a baggie and put in the recycle bin. I assume that a baggie over a greasy rusty chain is recyclable, as I assume they pull steel out of the pile with big magnets. I have not checked with the recycle center.

A long chain that can tangle up on other stuff could be a hassle for the sorters at recycle centers, a baggie prevents that.

I once saw a photo of someone using an old bike chain to make boot cleats for hiking on ice, I tried it and it was a dismal failure. Don't bother trying it, the lack of sharp points prevented it from digging into the ice.

ADDENDUM:

Found the photo:

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 06-16-22 at 05:53 AM.
Old 06-15-22, 07:31 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I read somewhere that acid-loving plants (think azaleas, rhododendrons, gardenias, and blueberries) often need a trace of iron. Since I had cleaned one chain before I measured it, and it was too long, I left it hanging outside for a few months. OK, then I had a rusty chain and was getting a couple blueberry bushes. Planted the chain a couple inches under one blueberry. I don't know if it helped the bush, but that one thrived while the other bush eventually died, and the berries taste fine!
Old 06-15-22, 09:08 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I once saw a photo of someone using an old bike chain to make boot cleats for hiking on ice, I tried it and it was a dismal failure. Don't bother trying it, the lack of sharp points prevented it from digging into the ice.
I bet chainsaw chain would grip well

Originally Posted by pdlamb
I read somewhere that acid-loving plants (think azaleas, rhododendrons, gardenias, and blueberries) often need a trace of iron. Since I had cleaned one chain before I measured it, and it was too long, I left it hanging outside for a few months. OK, then I had a rusty chain and was getting a couple blueberry bushes. Planted the chain a couple inches under one blueberry. I don't know if it helped the bush, but that one thrived while the other bush eventually died, and the berries taste fine!
I may have to try some iron around my blueberry bushes. Not sure about using a bike chain given that I don't know what is in the lube. Rusty nails or something might be a safer bet.
Old 06-15-22, 10:30 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
Kids in my old neighborhood threw them over power lines.
Old 06-15-22, 02:20 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I am surprised that San Fran does not have organized metal recycling. A chain would be considered for steel recycling
I agree with Marcus above. At my town transfer station a bike chain would go right in with other metal recyclables. Our dump has a container for small nutsy boltsy metal items that would be too small to move again with a bucket loader. I'd put the chain there.

A plastic bag would pollute the metals. We would recycle that separately at the local supermarket or put it in the landfill container at the dump.
Old 06-17-22, 09:22 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 140 Posts
i keep a bucket in my shop and all chains and metal parts go into it and i dump it in the recycle bin at a local charity.
Old 06-18-22, 11:06 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I dump mine in the bin in back of the nearest bike shop.
City of Calgary has no provision for recycling metal other than cans and alu pans and plates.
The dump will charge you a minimum fee. None of the industrial metal recyclers have bins that are accessible to the public.
Likes For skookum:
Old 06-18-22, 12:31 PM
Yan 

Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 404 Posts
Trash bin.
Old 06-18-22, 01:10 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I'm pretty sure you could clean em up, post them online and sell them as "vintage" components.
Old 06-18-22, 01:16 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
I have a metal recycling facility just down the street from me. I take all kinds of metals, including old bike parts there, because the curb-side recycling will only take metal cans and such, not metals in other forms.

Old 06-18-22, 06:45 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
There are many useful tools that can be made from bicycle chain. Pipe wrenches, oil filter wrench, pipe vice, clamps, the list goes on and on… but yes I just hold onto mine until I have enough scrap to take down to the recycle yard and get paid for it.
Old 06-20-22, 08:45 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
chain whip
Old 06-22-22, 07:35 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
chain whip
Yeah, I'd make some if I didn't have some that my dad made 50 or so years ago. It is a nice project for anyone who needs some chain whips. I'd probably make some nicer ones, but the ones my dad made have sentimental value and they still work fine.
Old 06-25-22, 07:20 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
In the metal recycling bin along with any other steel or aluminum waste. Well except the aluminum cans. They go in with the recycling. Or a friends pickup bed with the massive amount he recycles for $.
Old 07-04-22, 05:46 PM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
Clean it up real good and keep it handy for the next dog that does not know when to stop.