Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

81 UNIVEGA Brush Paint

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

81 UNIVEGA Brush Paint

Old 06-23-22, 06:05 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
81 UNIVEGA Brush Paint

OK... My 12 year old rattle can paint job finally got my attention. It was in especially bad condition now that I am riding more remote torn up asphalt roads. So I removed it's components, then cleaned and sanded it leaving what was left of the old paint as a primer. I needed a strong thick paint so I went with Rustolium Gloss Enamel. The only Orange color I could find was Kubota Orange at TSC. I made a small batch mix of 80% Enamel and 20% Penitrol to give me more working time with the paint. I used a soft camel hair 1" brush and worked slowly painting the joints and small tubes first, then after hanging, the large tubes. Then came the long wait for it to dry. About two weeks in a Central Texas Garage in June. During cooler months I hang the frames in the attic to dry. The paint is dry when it no longer smells. I mounted my DIY Knock Off Decals using water to align them. It is not a perfect job. To do that I would have stripped all the old paint and rattle caned Rustolium Grey primer. I am satisfied with the job. I have a thick coat of paint that is shinny enough with out any clear spayed on.

Note: This bike is not a wall hanger... Ha

Decal Info: https://www.bikeforums.net/22525491-post125.html
Old 06-23-22, 06:18 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I used Penetrol quite a bit when varnishing Teak and Mahogany on our sail boat. It not only allows time to blend and work the brush strokes, it continues to allow the paint to “flow” prior to drying. This gets ride of some imperfections in application. Nice job!
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 06-23-22, 06:55 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
One Coat!? Nice. Never heard of Penetrol. I’ve worked quickly when brushing Rustoleum on frames and have no problem with runs sags or whatever. To work more slowly and not have runs to correct would be cool. Again, One coat? What color was it before?
Old 06-23-22, 08:47 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
Nice job!
Old 06-23-22, 09:11 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 132 Posts
Looks great. I'd never heard of Penetrol. Also never heard of the tape transfer method. Definitely gives me something to look forward to and experiment on an old frame that needs rescuing.
Old 06-24-22, 06:16 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 745 Posts
Having had less-than-ideal results with a Spray.bike paint job, I'm curious about trying your brush-on method. After all the stripping and sanding and spraying and clear-coating and polishing, etc, I swore I'd just get the next one powder-coated somewhere..... But the powder-coaters I've found locally either aren't interested in doing a bike frame or want $200-300 (with the caveat that 'I've never done a bike frame, so no guarantees......") for the job. Does the penetrol level out the brush-marks? How fast do you have to work? Have you tried mixing Rustoleum colors? Any other tips & tricks?
Old 06-24-22, 12:24 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
......What color was it before?
It was Rattle Can Rustoliume Orange. Further more I did not strip off all the old paint. My objective was to get a thick, protective, durable, coat of paint on quickly. I just de-greased the frame and lightly sanded it down. I could not find regular orange outside of the rattle can so I went with Gloss Kubota Orange.

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
...Does the penetrol level out the brush-marks? How fast do you have to work? Have you tried mixing Rustoleum colors? Any other tips & tricks?
If starting out to brush paint a frame start with one ya don't mind learning on. Use Rustolium Gloss White as it is most forgiving. Clean the frame well and sand it down smooth. I have heard that guys up north where its cool do not have to use Penitrol. Over here in Texas where the temp is usually well above 70°F its a must. If you don't use Penitrol then you might get brush marks and clumps as you paint. Faint brush marks will level out as the paint dries. Paint thinner could effect the gloss finish. I usually only need one coat and then go back after drying and touch up the holidays.

Here's a link to another Brush Paint Job: https://www.bikeforums.net/22266799-post1.html

You can use Rustolium Gloss Enamel in a paint sprayer. I have heard that you need a higher percentage of Penitrol. Do the Youtube for details.

Note that I am receiving no remuneration for mentioning Rustolium or Penitrol. They just happen to be the only ones I have worked with successfully...

Last edited by zandoval; 06-24-22 at 12:30 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 06-24-22, 02:09 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 654 Posts
@zandoval good job. That looks great. I have been looking forward to seeing your bullhorn handlebars. You had mentioned that you liked them and being that I am usually on my hoods, I have been thinking about getting bullhorns. Your Peugeot looks great too.

When I have sprayed Rustoleum with a paint gun, I have added mineral spirits. I had forgotten about Penitrol.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 06-24-22, 06:14 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Here is Randy's MYTENSPEEDS how to do a very good job with a brush and Rustoleum which I think is the very best there ever was/is/wil be. Thanks again Randy.

https://cycle.haus/mytenspeeds/Site%...troduction.htm