Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Not exactly C&V but adjacent: 1-1/8 threadless roller bearing headset

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-21-22, 07:45 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 406 Posts

I know 1-1/8" threadless headsets aren't C&V in the strictest sense, but I also know that we have a good number of members here that love roller bearing headsets, specifically the A9 stronglight. I'm one of them, put an A9 on my '82 Miyata 1200.

Anyways, I figure this topic might be interesting for the forum. It's a 1-1/8" threadless headset with tapered roller bearings, made by SolidBikes in Sacramento, CA. Not the lightest headset, 5.5 ounces (nice 1-1/8" threadless external cup headsets are around 3 ounces), but it's cheap, only $35.00.

I'm also posting here about it because there's hardly any mention of this headset anywhere online, despite there being a good number of threads asking about headsets of this size/type.

I'm not sure where to push this conversation, if anywhere...just thought some members here might find the headset intriguing. I purchased one and it's on the way in the mail, I'll let you all know how it goes!

Headset For 1 1/8" Press Fit | Solid Bikes (bigcartel.com)

Likes For Piff:
Old 06-22-22, 08:42 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
the roller bearing itself looks quite similar to what was used in the Stonglight Delta and A9 headsets. They used a conical washer to provide a hard surface for the bearings to run on. I'm still trying to understand whether the washers also move around a little to provide some self-alignment or not. The rest of the headset is made of aluminum, resulting in a very light headset.

a shot of the Delta headset...

...and the details of the Delta's lower bearing assembly....

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 06-24-22, 02:38 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I'm still trying to understand whether the washers also move around a little to provide some self-alignment or not.
They don't.

Or if they do, it's not by design, and only successful by chance.

The races are cones. To provide alignment there must be a pair of (sections of) spherical surfaces.
Old 06-24-22, 01:04 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
I know 1-1/8" threadless headsets aren't C&V in the strictest sense
The first AheadSet equipped bikes came out sometime in the early 90s. If 25 years is the cutoff for C&V, they definitely qualify.

MTBs and then BMX, with road bikes several years after.
Old 06-24-22, 10:30 PM
Piff 

Originally Posted by RandolphCarter
The first AheadSet equipped bikes came out sometime in the early 90s. If 25 years is the cutoff for C&V, they definitely qualify.

MTBs and then BMX, with road bikes several years after.
Then I'll charge ahead guilt-free!

Update: They arrived yesterday. Will be posting some pics and a quick writeup in a week probably, there's a fair amount to do first in order to get the bike running.
Old 07-19-22, 06:59 PM
Piff 

For those interested...

The headset works great! Like most roller bearing headsets it has a bit more drag. Beneficial for the bike it went on, I wanted the front end to be a bit less twitchy and for it to ride with no hands easily. A little finicky to setup; the compression ring has to be tightened down on the steerer tube before tightening down the top cap. If you tighten the top cap first and then the compression ring the headset will bind, it's too tight. The directions sent with the headset do say to do this, but for some reason I second-guessed them.

Heavier than most headsets, but if you're looking for a cheaper 1-1/8 threadless roller bearing headset I can't think of another option.
Old 08-09-23, 12:26 AM
Piff 

As an update, the headset is smooth as glass a year later. Zero issues with knocking or grit or indexing

Yeah it's no longer $35, now $50, but still a fine product that will probably last many decades of use.
Likes For Piff:
Old 08-09-23, 01:12 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 244 Posts
I love vintage but I'm a big fan of those and of sealed bearings on bottom brackets.
Old 08-10-23, 07:57 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
I have a Surly steamroller in my que to build up. I have a handsome cycles disc fork and one of these would be sweet.
the potential build;
Surly steamroller
650b rims
Shimano deore disc front hub
SRAM automatic coaster brake rear
Brooks flyer saddle
4" riser bars
Bruce Gordon rock and road tires.
Not sure what crank
Old 08-10-23, 08:42 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
this is an exceptionally good part. Works good and lasts a long time.

the two conical washers will adjust to compensate for any mis-alignment of the head tube faces

the contact on these is a line along the length of each of the rollers - rather than a point of contact as would be the case with a ball bearing unit.

/markp
Old 08-10-23, 09:52 AM
Piff 

Yeah, the part works great, as I understand it at the start of BMX riding back in the day the standard ball bearing headsets weren't living up to the abuse so this company cottoned on to the idea of roller bearings, maybe they had a roadie friend with a stronglight. Anyways, they're tapered instead of perfectly cylindrical, a nice improvement over the original. Interesting company, they also sell frame tubing (assumedly for BMX bikes).

Last edited by Piff; 08-10-23 at 09:56 AM.