Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My hands love Dutch handlebars

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-04-20, 11:06 AM
zeeway

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.5, single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts

My return to biking was about six years ago on a hybrid with straight handlebars. Very solid bike, but my hands hurt after riding a short distance. Tried various fixes, but none worked very well, so I decided to sell that one and...

I bought a road bike, but those drop bars did not improve my hand pain. I did raise the stack height with spacers and that helped a bit. Also padded the drop bars, and that helped.

After converting the road bike to single speed, I did not need the brifters, so I bought some wide-sweep handlebars and added hand brakes. Hmmm, that helped a lot, but my wrists were still at a funky angle.

So I measured the resting angle of my wrists - seemed to be 20 degrees backsweep. And (voila) found some Dutch handlebars that have the same backsweep angle. I have these adjusted so that my wrists are not bent in the long axis direction..and my hand pain is gone. While I realize a road bike with Dutch handlebars would not be accepted by my roadie friends, my hands do not care about that. They feel much better and so do I.
Likes For zeeway:
Old 09-04-20, 11:21 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Good deal. Every rider for their own style. You'd think the bike brands would at least try to sell a bike in US that other countries have used for years but guess can't find right marketing name to push.

Old 09-04-20, 11:25 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Link?

I think this could help my wife. She tried Jones bars but the angle was too extreme.
Old 09-04-20, 12:04 PM
zeeway

Originally Posted by wgscott
Link?

I think this could help my wife. She tried Jones bars but the angle was too extreme.
Look up UPANBIKE handlebars on Amazon

Last edited by zeeway; 09-04-20 at 08:06 PM.
Likes For zeeway:
Old 09-04-20, 01:11 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by zeeway
My return to biking was about six years ago on a hybrid with straight handlebars. Very solid bike, but my hands hurt after riding a short distance. Tried various fixes, but none worked very well, so I decided to sell that one and...

I bought a road bike, but those drop bars did not improve my hand pain. I did raise the stack height with spacers and that helped a bit. Also padded the drop bars, and that helped.

After converting the road bike to single speed, I did not need the brifters, so I bought some wide-sweep handlebars and added hand brakes. Hmmm, that helped a lot, but my wrists were still at a funky angle.

So I measured the resting angle of my wrists - seemed to be 20 degrees backsweep. And (voila) found some Dutch handlebars that have the same backsweep angle. I have these adjusted so that my wrists are not bent in the long axis direction..and my hand pain is gone. While I realize a road bike with Dutch handlebars would not be accepted by my roadie friends, my hands do not care about that. They feel much better and so do I.
I put a pair on my straightish-barred commuter. More comfortable hand position, more upright seat position - I love’em
Likes For Litespud:
Old 09-04-20, 01:40 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
I have angled handle bars on all my bikes. Straight handlebars are awful for non offroad use. At least me for commuting and mainly city driving. One of the reasons I hate mountain bikes as commuter bikes.
Likes For Harhir:
Old 09-04-20, 02:10 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
IMO a 20d bend is still a MTB bar. Nothing in common with Dutch bars that are 40 to 80d.
Mine are 70d AFAIK and I won't be using anything else. For 20 years I had straight and 10d bars and SUFFERED horribly.
Old 09-04-20, 02:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Yeah, those Amazon links show riser bars with a little sweep, more akin to 1980s-'90s mountain bike handlebars than classic European swept bars.

There's a reason why swept bars have been popular for decades -- they work well for many cyclists. There are variations, from the wide flared bars like the Nitto Albatross, to North Roads to porteur handlebars.

My early 1990s Univega went through a few phases, from the original straight (well, slightly arced) MTB bars to riser bars (also basically mountain bike bars) to the current incarnation with albatross bars. That's a keeper. It offers almost as many hand positions as my drop bar road bikes -- comfortable and versatile.
Old 09-04-20, 02:37 PM
diggida

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Really interested in these, love to see pics of your bikes with these bars!
Likes For diggida:
Old 09-04-20, 03:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
I have used handlebars that are comfortable for me for daily commuting and city riding for over 65 years, been comfortable for day trips of over 100 miles too. Never needed to change to different hand positions to be comfortable while riding, these handlebars were comfortable from the get-go. One zillion (or so) non enthusiasts world wide seemed to have made a similar decision.

Old 09-04-20, 06:45 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Likes For gios:
Old 09-05-20, 04:19 AM
zeeway

Originally Posted by cubewheels
If you install those handlebars upside down (flipped left to right, NOT simply rotated on the stem so you'll have to remove it from the stem and swap the brake hoods left and right), it will look like a drop bar and put you in a more aero position while preserving the sweep (which is good for your hands).

Plus, it looks so bad-a-s-s!
Agree that looks good. But that cool aero position was putting a lot of weight on my hands, which was a problem for me when I used drop bars. My core strength is pretty good (for a 78 year old), but apparently not good enough to be even a pretend-roadie.
Likes For zeeway:
Old 09-05-20, 06:49 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I swapped to wrap back bars on my ebike. Some Origin 8 Transit Ergo bars I got of CL for $20. That required a riser stem to keep my knees from hitting the bars in turns.

Now I have an upright bike with a seating position not unlike my 70's Suburban. While the swept back angle is more natural for the wrists, I feel it is the upright position that takes all the pressure off your hands and wrists.
Old 09-05-20, 07:29 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
zeeway You gotta find what works for you and go with it Last year at 57, I converted my straight bar bike to drops after a dozen years of hand issues. My other two bikes are already drop bar bikes. I did consider bars like what you described, but I went with what has been working for me on the other two bikes...and it works...for now.

I'll check back in 20 years when I'm 78.

Enjoy your ride and thanks for sharing...that's what makes BF so great!
Old 09-05-20, 11:20 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Anyone who wouldn't accept your choice of gear is to be ignored. There's a real nouveau snob culture out there lately.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 09-05-20, 01:27 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
If you install those handlebars upside down (flipped left to right, NOT simply rotated on the stem so you'll have to remove it from the stem and swap the brake hoods left and right), it will look like a drop bar and put you in a more aero position while preserving the sweep (which is good for your hands).
And you won’t get the upright position of a Dutch bike, which is part of the point. Aerodynamics are meaningless for low-speed city riding.
Likes For C9H13N:
Old 09-05-20, 01:44 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
...and your nose Dutch ovens
Old 09-05-20, 04:47 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts

I'm trippin' on that kickstand of Campbell's Chunky soup.
Old 09-05-20, 05:25 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Whack on a set of Ergon GC1 (or equivalent ergo swept bar grips) and next level the comfort!
That little bit of wrist support is awesome, especially on swept bars like the Jones.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 09-05-20, 05:34 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Same situation here. I can't ride drops -- my neck don't bend that way no more -- and straight bars pound the hell out of my wrists. Swept bars, ahhhh.... nice. I can ride all day.

Just for reference, here are some bars that I've tried. Some of these happened to be deeply discounted at the old Niagara Cycle:

FSA Metropolis
Origin8 Citi Classic
Velo Orange Tourist
Old Schwinn steel bar

Don't overlook those old steel bars. They won't add all that much weight, and are a practical solution to a real problem if your wrists happen to prefer swept bars. Some folks think that steel bars are actually a bit more comfortable, similar to steel frames.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 09-06-20, 07:17 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Having experimented recently with drop bars, trekking bars (of a sort) and upright bars (Albatross shape), one observation I have is a caution for those who still ride at speed regarding braking with the swept bars.

When you brake on the swept back bars, your hands are not pushed into the bar, as is the case with drop bars and (relatively) straight bars. Instead, you have to rely on hand strength to keep your hands in braking position. Not at issue at lower speeds.

OTOH, when you are going fast downhill with curves and bumps and all the other things that actually happen in riding, there is a safety factor to a braking position that resists your momentum as the bike slows. Moustache bars can offer similar hand positions while leaving the braking in a well-supported position for faster riding.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 09-06-20, 07:56 AM
zeeway

Originally Posted by ofajen
Having experimented recently with drop bars, trekking bars (of a sort) and upright bars (Albatross shape), one observation I have is a caution for those who still ride at speed regarding braking with the swept bars.

When you brake on the swept back bars, your hands are not pushed into the bar, as is the case with drop bars and (relatively) straight bars. Instead, you have to rely on hand strength to keep your hands in braking position. Not at issue at lower speeds.

OTOH, when you are going fast downhill with curves and bumps and all the other things that actually happen in riding, there is a safety factor to a braking position that resists your momentum as the bike slows. Moustache bars can offer similar hand positions while leaving the braking in a well-supported position for faster riding.
We may have an apple to oranges situation with definitions, but the other advantage when I switched to the Dutch bars and hand brake levers (instead of brifters) was I was able to brake more effectively. Maybe it was related to a combination of causes specific to me, but I always found braking on a drop bar with brifters to be a bit awkward.
Old 09-06-20, 09:00 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by zeeway
We may have an apple to oranges situation with definitions, but the other advantage when I switched to the Dutch bars and hand brake levers (instead of brifters) was I was able to brake more effectively. Maybe it was related to a combination of causes specific to me, but I always found braking on a drop bar with brifters to be a bit awkward.
There are plenty of ways to set up drop bar levers such that they are awkward to use, and reach can be an issue. My point is not a general comment on braking effectiveness. I was able to brake effectively with every configuration including Albatross style bars.

My only point is that when you are braking from high speed, upright bars require you to use hand strength to maintain your position as you decelerate since your palm is moving along the bar, not being pushed into it. For low speed biking it really isn’t a concern. That’s why they work so well for city riding.

Otto
Old 09-06-20, 12:15 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
That's definitely worthy of note. Controlling a bike when your hands are closer to your center of gravity is something to think about and prepare for.
Old 09-06-20, 12:44 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I just put some Ritchey Kyotes on my Monster Cross bike. With 27.5º of sweep, they're much more comfortable than more radically swept bars, like Jones. I think we all have our sweet spot, and it's nice that there are so many variations to choose from these days.

If you haven't checked out Whatbars.com, it enables you to look at different bars overlaid on one another for shape comparison.
Likes For Rolla:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.