Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2022 Trek Verve 2 Disk upgrade questions

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-21, 07:48 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts

Someone stole my Verve 2 Disk a couple of mornings a go. The police were able to recover the bike minus its wheels. So far as I can tell everything looks to be in decent shape, but will know tomorrow when I drop it off at the LBS for inspection.

So since I have to get new wheels, I figured this would be a perfect opportunity to do some upgrades… first I want to go to TLR wheels from the Verve 3 Disk. Secondly swap to a 9 speed Cassette, and lastly upgrade rotors to 180 mm.

my question is, will my current deraleur work with a 3x front crank, or am I going to need to go with a 2x like the Verve 3 Disk?
Old 10-17-21, 07:50 PM
M Rose

One more question, can I upgrade to a 180 mm rotor without needing new calipers and brake levers?
Old 10-18-21, 04:41 PM
M Rose

Never mind, I got new wheels and tires today. Ended up going back to stock.
Old 10-18-21, 10:36 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by M Rose
One more question, can I upgrade to a 180 mm rotor without needing new calipers and brake levers?
Yes you can, you can use some adaptors for the old calipers.

Most likely you should not do it because the frame and the fork may not be specced to withstand the higher braking forces from the 180mm rotor. At least consult Trek before doing it.
Old 10-19-21, 05:10 AM
poiuyt

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by M Rose
It's very likely that you can fit 180mm rotor (provided that there's enough clearance), but it might not be worth it and it can even be dangerous. If you tires don't have enough grip, more powerful brakes will just block the wheels (which can lead to a control loss if it's the front one). Upgrading to better 160mm rotors (with better cooling) seems to be a better upgrade to me, if you live in a mountainous area: you would take advantage of the "cooling benefit" of a 180mm rotor, without increasing too much the braking power.

If you look at what manufacturers are doing, you will mostly find 180mm rotors from trail mountain-bikes and some touring e-bikes with 55mm+ tires. High-end cross-country racing mountain bikes, high-end hybrids (Specialized 6.0/X 5.0, Canyon Pathlite 7) and even electric gravel-bikes like the Canyon Grail:On (which are designed to be used in conditions much harder than an hybrid) are using 160mm rotors.

Also, if you use your bike with paniers, you'll actually change the weight distribution of the bike, and decrease the pressure on the front wheel, which means that it can block even faster if your brakes are too powerful.

Last edited by poiuyt; 10-19-21 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-19-21, 09:20 AM
M Rose

I was told the opposite… I can and did upgrade the front rotor to 180mm. I will also be upgrading to a 9 speed cassette in the rear next month some time.
Old 10-19-21, 12:01 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Unless the surface is very loose (or icy, etc.), it's generally pretty difficult to truly lock the front wheel. Riding position and weight distribution will have some influence on this for sure. But you're generally far more likely to go over the bars with too much front brake than you are to lock the front wheel and have it wash out from under you. Again, if you're riding narrow slick tires on loose gravel, then this doesn't apply. But for a Verve with its 45mm tires on typical paved or dirt trails, I think you'll find the benefits of the larger rotor to outweigh the drawbacks.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 10-19-21, 03:48 PM
M Rose

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Unless the surface is very loose (or icy, etc.), it's generally pretty difficult to truly lock the front wheel. Riding position and weight distribution will have some influence on this for sure. But you're generally far more likely to go over the bars with too much front brake than you are to lock the front wheel and have it wash out from under you. Again, if you're riding narrow slick tires on loose gravel, then this doesn't apply. But for a Verve with its 45mm tires on typical paved or dirt trails, I think you'll find the benefits of the larger rotor to outweigh the drawbacks.
so far with my third ride in and 25 miles the 180 mm seams to be doing just fine…
Likes For M Rose:
Old 10-20-21, 12:46 AM
M Rose

So last night while waiting for my wife’s lunch brake at Walmart (she works the late shift), I see a scraggly looking guy laden with a back pack walk out the doors. Normally I don’t pay too much attention to the people walking in and out as I am more concerned of whe. My wife will be out to relieve me of my guard duties and let me into a warm room for an hour. But this guy bugged me for some reason. I watched as he laughed a bag full of cans around to the bicycle area and I see a set of wheels lashed to his back.

I do a double take and from almost half way a crossed the parking lot I know that those are my mission wheels.

I decided to just go up and talk to the guy and see what the story was on those nice looking wheels.
It was a very interesting conversation that soon fallowed.

Me: “Hey man, nice wheels”
Him: “Yea they are cool huh”
Me: “Hell ya they’re cool, I’ve been looking for a set just like those. They would look so sweet on my bike.”
Him: “Raeally, you ride?”

(I am I full riding kit, my helmet hanging in my glove clad hand(

Me: “ya I ride, so where did you get them wheels?”
Him: “They came off of a very particular bike”
Me: “hmmm”
Him: “ Ya a really nice Trek that was stolen a few days ago.”
Me: “Really you don’t say. This Trek? It wasn’t grey by any chance with a funny blue flashing light?”
Him: “Ya, how did you know?”
Me: “You didn’t happen to find these wheels early Saturday morning did you?”
Him: “Ya how did you know?
Me still not answering his questions: “You weee behind the fitness center looking under the wood weren’t ya?”
Him, getting a real worried and scared look in his eyes slowly replied “Yaaa? How did you know that?”
Me: “ I saw ya, and talked to ya. You told me to go over to Safeway and look for someone else. So here’s the deal man… you lied to me, you lied to the cops, and those are my wheels. I’m going to take them back and if you have an issue with it by all means call the police and reference file number 1234XYZ. Tell the police that M Rose stole his wheels from you.”
Him: “ No I don’t think so.”
Me: “I know so, I’m calling Cole right now.”

I dialed dispatch and asked for Officer Cole to find out he wasn’t on duty, but transferred to an on duty Deputy. I filled the deputy I. On what was going on and he asked if I had the suspect in view. I told him I was standing less than an arms reach away and they guy wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon. The deputy asked to talk to the vagrant. They spoke for a few minutes and I got my phone back.

Him: “Here’s your wheels and tires man, you didn’t have to get the police involved.”

I ignored him as the Deputy started asking me questions. The Deputy wanted to know if the whole bike was back in my possession. I told the Deputy I was still missing my axles.

Deputy yells over phone “Charles give the man his Axles before I drive down there and arrest you.”

Him: “I don’t have the axles in me but I can get them in a few minutes, meat me at a specific gas station in 30 minutes.”
Me to both Deputy and him: “Ya I know where specific gas station is, I’ll be there in 30 minutes, or when ever I feel like showing up.”

He hands me my wheels and leaves. I finish talking to the Deputy for a few more seconds. I then go eat lunch with my wife and fill her in on what just happened.

After lunch I run up to specific gas station where I had some fries already casing the area for me. As I was approaching I see a Deputy pull in to the gas station, get out of his rig, and talk to him.

I ride up and park my bike just outside of ear shot of the Deputy and the man. A few minutes later the Deputy gets in his car and pulls to the far side of the station. I ride up and talk to the vagrant.

Him: “took you long enough”
Me: “ What you got a hot date? I’ve been waiting over 72 hours for my stuff to be given back to me, you can be a little inconvenienced for my dinner date.”
Him, not too happy to have had to talk with the deputy and my tone: “ here is your stuff…. BTW you got any mumbles”
Me: “Got any what?”
Him: “Mumbles again”
Me: “Dude, really, you steal my bike, aren’t honest with anyone about who took it after you had been confronted at least three times, 2 times by me? You really think I’m that dumb? First of all I don’t do drugs, sell drugs, or have anything to do with DRUGS, secondly their is a cop right over there watching us. You’re one stupid SOB.”

I turned and got on my bike and started riding away.

Him: “You need to be more honest.”
Me stopping my bike to turn and look at him “What?”
Him: “It’s obvious your tweeting right now”
Me: “No it’s obvious that I’m boiling and it’s everything I can do not to loose control.”

He starts saying something else as I ride off ignoring him.

I hear a truck door slam shut and the engine roar to life. Then I hear screaching tires, I turn back to see the deputy pulling Him out of the passenger door and cuffing him.
Old 10-28-21, 06:34 PM
M Rose

I’m thinking of selling my Verve.
Old 12-06-21, 06:02 AM
Thomas_Faulkner

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is your bike's height, if it's not a secret?
I'm interested in buying
Old 12-06-21, 11:29 AM
M Rose

Originally Posted by Thomas_Faulkner
What is your bike's height, if it's not a secret?
I'm interested in buying
it’s the large frame, selling with Bontrager MIK Disk rack, DuoTrap S Sensor, Bontrager 300 Ride Computer, Bontrager Bottle Cage, and tire pump.

Last edited by M Rose; 12-06-21 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-15-22, 06:06 PM
M Rose

TheVerve is listed for sale

https://eastoregon.craigslist.org/bi...484146947.html
Old 09-03-22, 12:43 PM
M Rose

Sold my Vere last night… I ended up letting it go for way under its value.