Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike repair stand

Old 05-20-22, 06:32 AM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Bike repair stand

I need a bike repair stand for cleaning and maintenance, with that said , I want it to be future proof so it should handle d shaped posts and carbon bikes as well ..

what do you recommend that is reasonably priced ?
Old 05-20-22, 07:50 AM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Here’s a good comparison article, the Park Tools stand is showing $249 at Amazon.

https://bestreviews.com/sports-fitne...-repair-stands
Old 05-20-22, 08:07 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
I need a bike repair stand for cleaning and maintenance, with that said , I want it to be future proof so it should handle d shaped posts and carbon bikes as well ..

what do you recommend that is reasonably priced ?
Many would say that this stand isn’t reasonably priced but I would argue that it is the best value. You can buy a cheaper stand but it won’t work as well nor last as long…even in the Park line. The clamp is by far the best clamp around. It will handle a very wide range of tube sizes. The clamp force can easily be adjusted to prevent crushing the tube. And it is easier to operate single handed than the silly screw type clamps. I have that kind of clamp at home and far prefer it to the Park screw type clamps my local co-op has.

My stand isn’t the professional grade one but it is close. I paid a whole lot for it 30 years ago and have never regretted doing so.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-20-22, 08:17 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
[QUOTE=cyccommute;22513344The clamp force can easily be adjusted to prevent crushing the tube. [/QUOTE]

I think that's true of most stands.

I've been seeing some good reviews on this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Bikehand-Mech...ef_=ast_sto_dp
Old 05-20-22, 08:43 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
If you want it to be future proof, make sure it has a weight limit that is large enough to handle things like an e-bike. My wife's bike weight 65 lbs, neither of my two repair stands will hold that weight securely. The one cyccommute links to has a limit of 100 lbs.
Old 05-20-22, 09:03 AM
BJack312

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts
I have the Bike Hand repair stand from Amazon. It is well built and stable. A very good value for the price.
Likes For BJack312:
Old 05-20-22, 09:06 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by prj71
I think that's true of most stands.

I've been seeing some good reviews on this one...

https://www.amazon.com/Bikehand-Mech...ef_=ast_sto_dp
Depends on what you call “easily adjusted”. Holding the bike up while screwing in the clamp is a major pain. Being able to just swing the arm of the clamp closed is much easier.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-20-22, 09:11 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Here's the one I bought several years ago as I needed it to take up as little space as possible and still be good and sturdy. Have used it on my bikes including my carbon ones without any problem. Also I take with me on our motorhome trips.https://www.amazon.com/Feedback-Spor...ps%2C99&sr=8-7
Old 05-20-22, 09:41 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Many would say that this stand isn’t reasonably priced but I would argue that it is the best value. You can buy a cheaper stand but it won’t work as well nor last as long…even in the Park line. The clamp is by far the best clamp around. It will handle a very wide range of tube sizes. The clamp force can easily be adjusted to prevent crushing the tube. And it is easier to operate single handed than the silly screw type clamps. I have that kind of clamp at home and far prefer it to the Park screw type clamps my local co-op has.

My stand isn’t the professional grade one but it is close. I paid a whole lot for it 30 years ago and have never regretted doing so.
For the win. If you are serious about working on your own bikes, listen to this man.
Old 05-20-22, 10:08 AM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by BJack312
I have the Bike Hand repair stand from Amazon. It is well built and stable. A very good value for the price.
I have this as well. Only used it a few times, but I like it.

If I could change one thing it would be the operation of the clamp. When I fasten to my seat post, if the jaws are open enough for the post to pass through, I need to crank them down slightly for the clamp to hold. Then when I loosen the clamp, I have to unscrew the handle a bit to widen the opening.

Not a deal breaker, and don’t see a need to pay more for a better clamp.

Mark
Old 05-20-22, 10:28 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
I got the Performance-branded version of this Topeak workstand on sale a few years back. I paid less than they go for now, but it's a great workstand. Adjustable height, adjustable angle, stable, wide tripod base.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-20-22, 10:33 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Another vote for the Park PCS-10.2

Get it and forget it.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 05-20-22, 11:32 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
I wanted future proof, This Bikehand is rated at 110lbs and docent break the bank,
Would it stand up to professional use every day, maybe not, but that's not my intent.

Barry
Old 05-20-22, 11:44 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
If you want a truly future proof stand, you'll probably want one that does not clamp around a tube or a seat post. I use the Park PRS-22.2 Team Issue Repair Stand. Many pro teams use this as well. It clamps the front fork down with the bottom bracket sitting in a cradle. No clamping around tubes. Plus, you can swivle it around and adjust the height...and it's portable. Park does make a less expensive model that functions the same but can't recall the part number.

Old 05-20-22, 01:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4250 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Another plus one for Park Tool Stands. If you are already looking to the future don't buy the cheap stuff now get something of quality and the Park stands are good stands.

The Team stand as shown above is not a bad option for future proofing but honestly I am happy with my PRS 25 but the PCS 10.3 is a fine option or the PCS-4.2 is fine as well.
Old 05-20-22, 01:21 PM
whipnet

Bikes: Fat

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 20 Posts
I have fat-bikes, so the Park PCS-10.3 for me. Pricey but needed and worth it.

Last edited by whipnet; 05-20-22 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-20-22, 03:38 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
aldi stand..30 bucks
Likes For BikeLite:
Old 05-20-22, 04:07 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by msalvetti
I have this as well. Only used it a few times, but I like it.

If I could change one thing it would be the operation of the clamp. When I fasten to my seat post, if the jaws are open enough for the post to pass through, I need to crank them down slightly for the clamp to hold. Then when I loosen the clamp, I have to unscrew the handle a bit to widen the opening.

Not a deal breaker, and don’t see a need to pay more for a better clamp.

Mark
I have the same stand and the same comment.

I have a 25 year old Park Tool stand that has a better clamp, but everything else about the park tool is worse. The bike hand stand is higher, yet is more stable, and is way more adjustable than the park. I wish the clamp was better, though.
Old 05-20-22, 05:23 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by skookum
I have the same stand and the same comment.

I have a 25 year old Park Tool stand that has a better clamp, but everything else about the park tool is worse. The bike hand stand is higher, yet is more stable, and is way more adjustable than the park. I wish the clamp was better, though.
My stand is a pre96 PRS-6 which, I’ll admit was too low when I bought it. But I had someone weld a couple of feet to the stand about 20 years ago and I’ve been pleased with it since. Here it is holding my tandem.

My daughter has an old folding PRS-6 that I modified with a Park repair stand extension. That fixed the height problem with that stand. The extension isn’t that expensive either. It was easier to modify because of the bolt on head

I had yet another Park stand with the same weld on head that my stand has that I was going to try to modify but my daughter gave it away (I told her she could) before I had a chance to work on it. I think it would have been easy to cut off the clamp head and use the extension tube and either bolt or clamp the head to the tube. The guy I had weld the extension onto my work stand offered to do an adjustable height but I opted not to do that…stupid me

Old 05-20-22, 08:22 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I have a feedback sports bike stand. Treats me. No complains. Definitely recommend spending good money on a bike stand. You don't want it collapsing as you're working on your bike.
Old 05-21-22, 06:51 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
If you want a truly future proof stand, you'll probably want one that does not clamp around a tube or a seat post. I use the Park PRS-22.2 Team Issue Repair Stand. Many pro teams use this as well. It clamps the front fork down with the bottom bracket sitting in a cradle. No clamping around tubes. Plus, you can swivle it around and adjust the height...and it's portable. Park does make a less expensive model that functions the same but can't recall the part number.

What if the fork is not on the bike? And how does it deal with a plethora of front fork axle/dropout standards? Or widely varying BB widths?

Edit: never-mind, I see it adapts to different standards and also works with a rear dropout.

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-21-22 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-21-22, 09:29 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 178 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I have the PRS-22.2 and I also have the PRS-25. The PRS-22.2 is great, but I personally use the PRS-25 much more often because it's just easier to clamp the seat post and start working on my bike.
Old 05-21-22, 11:22 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
I have the aldi stand, which looks very similar to the $66 Amazon stand at less than half the price. It's OK for basic stuff. I don't know if it will stand up when a lot of force is necessary, as, for example, when one wants to remove the fixed cup of the BB. I'd take that work to an LBS, so the stand is OK for my use. If you want to do work that takes force, I'd go with the something a lot closer to stands made for commercial use. As someone said, you don't want the stand to collapse on you.
Old 05-21-22, 12:42 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
A good, quality stand will last for decades of use, and one that’s well designed and easy to use will make those years a pleasure and save you a lot of headaches. I had no problem paying ~$300 for my latest stand, a Park PCS 10.3 because I knew it was exactly what I needed— easy setup, versatile, good ergonomic design— and that the brand, known for their durability, will most likely continue to supply repair bits, if they’re needed, for many years down the road.

I hang my rack on the wall in the garage, so all I need to do is one motion to fold out the legs, and it’s ready to go. In particular, I like that I can hang a bike by the seat on the clamp mech for quick jobs, but the fine tuning of the clamp jaws allows me to quickly and easily clamp frame tubes or seatposts as I prefer. I’m 6’1”, and the PCS 10.3 can put the bike up high enough that I can work comfortably, without straining my back.

I like that it has a tool tray, and I added a second, larger one as well, and those are really convenient, but I also got a Park handlebar holder when I bought the stand, and never having had one before, am tempted to say that a bar holder is probably the best accessory you can add to any stand.

I posted a thread here about it not too long ago: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...cs-10-3-a.html

Last edited by chaadster; 05-21-22 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Linky
Likes For chaadster:
Old 05-21-22, 10:02 PM
Entropy_S

Bikes: Diamondback Response DB78

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Park Tools are great, although pricey, so a good alternative might be Bikehand, which is considerably cheaper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.