Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Using an undersized tube , what issues does this cause?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-03-22, 11:44 AM
jambon

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there ,

Can I get away with a tube marked 35 c in a 44mm tire ?

What kind of issues if any would I have ?

Thanks
Old 06-03-22, 11:49 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
It'll work because butyl tubes have the ability to stretch several times their unstretched size. However, the tube is stretched much thinner so flats will be more likely. If it's all you got, pop it in and ride to the bike shop or W*lmart to get a size closer to your tire, then keep the undersized one as a spare.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 06-03-22, 12:13 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
The only time I couldn't get a glueless patch to work was in a similar situation. By the time I got the patched tube back in the tire and pumped it up to pressure, apparently the patch had almost set and then the tube stretched away from the patch as it was inflated.

Moral of the story? Always have a spare tube. And as Clyde said, get a tube that's closer to the correct size.
Old 06-04-22, 07:34 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
It'll work because butyl tubes have the ability to stretch several times their unstretched size. However, the tube is stretched much thinner so flats will be more likely. If it's all you got, pop it in and ride to the bike shop or W*lmart to get a size closer to your tire, then keep the undersized one as a spare.
Thinner tube is not much of an increase in flat likelihood. Thinner tube will mean slightly faster pressure loos.
Old 06-04-22, 08:56 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,297 Times in 1,109 Posts
I agree with KerryIrons. If something gets through the tire, the minuscule difference in tube stretch probably isn't going to be the make or break factor in getting a flat. If I had to choose a tube a size larger or size smaller, I'd rather have the smaller for ease of mounting and being less likely to get pinched.

Old 06-04-22, 10:47 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
OTOH rubber is a material that stretches most where weak or thin, so any areas of thinning or any
scratch on the rubber will disproportionately thin out more increasing the risk of puncture or leak.
Probability is you will be ok but depends on individual tube factors. (Once had a bent with 406
wheels with a 34mm tire and 25mm tube with microcuts all over it, tube flatted every ride
for 5 rides -slow learner- til I looked it over and noted the microcuts and tossed it).
Old 06-04-22, 10:54 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
I've had good results using 18 to 28 mm tubes in 32 mm wide tyres.

Going for 37 mm was stretching it a bit and, depending on the pressure, tube getting stretched open can happen (tried it, with varying success, but wouldn't recommend it).

Yes, I'm aware that tubes do stretch quite much over their stated max tyre width, but it appears they don't really "like" being stretched too much.

Now, the question is: is the difference between 35 mm (if we assume that's what 35 c means) to 44 mm enough of a difference to make a difference.
I have no idea.
I'd feel comfortable using such a tube in a 37, or even a 40 mm wide tyre, but considering the cost of tubes, I might be tempted to give it a test with a 44 mm wide tyre only if I had no other use (wheel) for it. Just not on the front wheel.
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 06-04-22, 12:09 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Some discussion of possible problems with thin tubes in wide tires in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...cher-flat.html
Old 06-04-22, 11:39 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I guess in theory, the smaller tube, stretched thinner might be weaker to punctures. In practice, I doubt it. Based on my experience anyway. I always use tubes at least one size smaller than the tire. Just making up numbers, but if it's a 25mm tire, I'll use a tube whose stated range is up to a max of 21 or 23mm. I've even used those size tubes in 35mm tires with no flats ever.

Anything that pierces the tire itself, will puncture a tube regardless of whether it's a tiny bit more stretched than a larger tube.

Also, getting a tube into a tire and that tire mounted is much easier with a smaller tube, much less to get pinched between the tire bead and the rim.