Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Rolling while folded - 20in wheels

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-20, 11:39 PM
sodsbodkings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

This will be a commuting and touring bike. I want to easily roll my folded bike into grocery stores and cafes.
Heaviness isn't a big consideration for me - because I hope to predominantly roll it around.
Reading on frame failure stories, I'm leaning towards bikes with no hinge in the main frame; or maybe a bike with alternative hinges.
I'm going for 20-24in wheels which will give me a better ride up hills and on bumpy terrain.
Folded size isn't super important, just needs to fit under a desk which I'm sure all of them do.

I'm 5 foot 5 and average weight, in Canada. I'm cool with spending as much as you'd spend on a regular bike.

What do you think?

Last edited by sodsbodkings; 06-20-20 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-21-20, 05:08 AM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Do you really need to roll it? My 20 inch Dahon gets folded and placed into the shopping cart if I'm grabbing food during my commute. Going into the office I just bring the bike in and out (most folders fit easily on an elevator), where you can fold it in your cube...again smaller frame so folding may not be needed.
Old 06-21-20, 09:00 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by sodsbodkings
This will be a commuting and touring bike. I want to easily roll my folded bike into grocery stores and cafes.
Heaviness isn't a big consideration for me - because I hope to predominantly roll it around.
Reading on frame failure stories, I'm leaning towards bikes with no hinge in the main frame; or maybe a bike with alternative hinges.
I'm going for 20-24in wheels which will give me a better ride up hills and on bumpy terrain.
Folded size isn't super important, just needs to fit under a desk which I'm sure all of them do.

I'm 5 foot 5 and average weight, in Canada. I'm cool with spending as much as you'd spend on a regular bike.

What do you think?

Old 06-21-20, 09:30 AM
sodsbodkings

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakindude
Do you really need to roll it? My 20 inch Dahon gets folded and placed into the shopping cart if I'm grabbing food during my commute. Going into the office I just bring the bike in and out (most folders fit easily on an elevator), where you can fold it in your cube...again smaller frame so folding may not be needed.
Yes I do. That's the title of this thread - I'm not asking people to argue with me and ask me to explain to them all the scenarios where I need to roll it around.
Old 06-21-20, 09:33 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
With the exception of the 16" Brompton, rolling any folder is something you only want to do for short distances. Also, it may depend on where you live, but in the crowded city where I live, rolling even a folding bike in stores is very hit or miss in terms of permission. Trader Joe, for example, is always crowded and they won't let in any folded bike not even a Brompton.
For that reason, I opted for the lightest folder I could afford so it's super easy to pick up and put in the shopping cart as kayakindude mentioned above. And in stores where the bike is permitted, it's so light I can easily hold it in one hand while i shop.
I suggest you check out your favorite places and see what they will permit or won't, if you have not already done so. If they're all good with rolling your folder through, then go for it. Sounds like the Pacific Reach Birdy might be an option for you as the frame doesn't have a hinge and it folds quickly and easily. Tires are not quite as big as you want but it has full suspension.

Last edited by linberl; 06-21-20 at 10:55 AM.
Likes For linberl:
Old 06-21-20, 10:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the now discontinued Bike Friday Tikit , also 16" wheel like Brompton,
.. was made to roll on it's locked straight ahead front wheel, when folded.

their 20" wheel bikes were made for travel-touring, when folded and partially dismantled,
they fit in a suitcase, that (samsonite) suitcase has wheels ,
though, as a suitcase, it will go on the airport luggage trolley with a duffel bag of the rest of your touring kit..

their Llama & NWT are very nice bikes, made in Oregon.. they replaced the Tikit with a PakIt, also 16" wheel,
they're a lot lighter by not being a quick fold..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-21-20 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-21-20, 11:40 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
1 Rolls while folded.
2 No hinge on main frame.
3 20" to 24" wheels.

I don't think such an animal(folder) exists.
You'll probably have to compromise on one point
and just settle for two of the three.
Likes For 1nterceptor:
Old 06-21-20, 01:25 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by fietsbob
the now discontinued Bike Friday Tikit , also 16" wheel like Brompton,
.. was made to roll on it's locked straight ahead front wheel, when folded.

their 20" wheel bikes were made for travel-touring, when folded and partially dismantled,
they fit in a suitcase, that (samsonite) suitcase has wheels ,
though, as a suitcase, it will go on the airport luggage trolley with a duffel bag of the rest of your touring kit..

their Llama & NWT are very nice bikes, made in Oregon.. they replaced the Tikit with a PakIt, also 16" wheel,
they're a lot lighter by not being a quick fold..

Mentioning discontinued bikes is a waste of a person's time, but you've resumed your habit of CONSTANTLY doing just that.
Old 06-21-20, 01:44 PM
sodsbodkings

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
they're a lot lighter by not being a quick fold..,,,
Llama and NWT can roll when folded? Do you know if Bike Friday does custom requests for 20 in wheels?
I don't need to fold my bicycle that fast, I'm not in the tour de france where every second counts. As long as it doesn't take 5 minutes. Some locks take forever to open and pack away or loop around your bike around a street bike rack, honestly I don't know why it's a big deal that a bike unfolds super fast.
The Dahon Clinch intrigued me because that lockjaw hinge seems to be stronger than conventional hinges, requiring an extra minute of fiddling with an allen key tool. But I've heard the lockjaw hinges have their own issues. ?

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
1 Rolls while folded.
3 20" to 24" wheels.

That where it sounds like it's going. :| Thanks.
Old 06-21-20, 01:53 PM
sodsbodkings

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
With the exception of the 16" Brompton, rolling any folder is something you only want to do for short distances. Also, it may depend on where you live, but in the crowded city where I live, rolling even a folding bike in stores is very hit or miss in terms of permission. Trader Joe, for example, is always crowded and they won't let in any folded bike not even a Brompton.
For that reason, I opted for the lightest folder I could afford so it's super easy to pick up and put in the shopping cart as kayakindude mentioned above. And in stores where the bike is permitted, it's so light I can easily hold it in one hand while i shop.
I suggest you check out your favorite places and see what they will permit or won't, if you have not already done so. If they're all good with rolling your folder through, then go for it. Sounds like the Pacific Reach Birdy might be an option for you as the frame doesn't have a hinge and it folds quickly and easily. Tires are not quite as big as you want but it has full suspension.
I don't live in a mega huge city so no problems with bringing in a folding bike - baby prams are bigger, etc.
I don't want to hold my bike in one hand while I shop.
Pacific Cycles Birdy - dubious name given that there's a folding bike brand called Birdy - it does have a 20in wheel. It looks like the brand is based in Taiwan ... will do digging..

Last edited by sodsbodkings; 06-21-20 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-21-20, 02:27 PM
linberl

I don't live in a mega huge city so no problems with bringing in a folding bike - baby prams are bigger, etc.
I don't want to hold my bike in one hand while I shop.
Pacific Cycles Birdy - dubious name given that there's a folding bike brand called Birdy - it does have a 20in wheel. It looks like the brand is based in Taiwan ... will do digging..
https://www.pacific-cycles.com/birdy
Old 06-21-20, 05:15 PM
grayrest

Bikes: Birdy, Orbea Gain, Optima Baron, SatRDay

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Pacific Cycles Birdy - dubious name given that there's a folding bike brand called Birdy - it does have a 20in wheel.
Pacific Cycles makes all the Birdy frames. R&M (the designer/brand owner) does the building/distribution for EU and Pacific does it for asia and the US directly.
Old 06-21-20, 05:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Originally Posted by tds101
Mentioning discontinued bikes is a waste of a person's time, but you've resumed your habit of CONSTANTLY doing just that.
keep an eye out on used resales BiFri reconditions them as 'pre loved ' & the [yak] google group & BiFri FB group and Craigslist is where they turn over.
Old 06-21-20, 05:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Llama and NWT can roll when folded? Do you know if Bike Friday does custom requests for 20 in wheels?
I don't need to fold my bicycle that fast, I'm not in the tour de france where every second counts. As long as it doesn't take 5 minutes. Some locks take forever to open and pack away or loop around your bike around a street bike rack, honestly I don't know why it's a big deal that a bike unfolds super fast.
The Dahon Clinch intrigued me because that lockjaw hinge seems to be stronger than conventional hinges, requiring an extra minute of fiddling with an allen key tool. But I've heard the lockjaw hinges have their own issues. ?

That where it sounds like it's going. :| Thanks.
Look at their website. roll while folded 20" No , custom options ? within their jigs and fixtures limitations

they do offer proportions like your favorite big wheel bike from filling out the data form. only folder in a range of sizes..
Old 06-21-20, 05:38 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

keep an eye out on used resales BiFri reconditions them as 'pre loved ' & the [yak] google group & BiFri FB group and Craigslist is where they turn over.
See,...NOW you shared some useful information. Stop giving suggestions without providing a way to look them up. You're a senior member of the forums, but seem to have an issue when it comes to promoting actual content. And if your intention was to have the op Google it, stop being so rude.
Old 06-21-20, 07:13 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Many of the Dahon style folders actually roll very well after fold.
they just need a velcro strap to secure the 2 folded portions together.
Pushes a bit like a wheel barrow when the handlebar is left un-folded.

I'd still recommend one, unless your weight/height/riding does no allow it.
Likes For pinholecam:
Old 06-21-20, 07:42 PM
linberl

My Dahon Mu has those magnet thingies at the wheels - does Dahon no longer use them? They work very well. I've seen them for sale for self-install, too.
Old 06-21-20, 07:45 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
1 Rolls while folded.
3 20" to 24" wheels.

Pacific cycles Birdy website now shows a 20" model so you CAN have all 3.

Likes For linberl:
Old 06-21-20, 08:05 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Yes I do. That's the title of this thread - I'm not asking people to argue with me and ask me to explain to them all the scenarios where I need to roll it around.
Interesting response to someone trying to share some real life folding bike experience with you. Next time try going with something other than saying I'm arguing with you. Take a look at the Helix...what is your price range?
Likes For kayakindude:
Old 06-21-20, 09:31 PM
gleearch

Bikes: Birdy Monocoque Standard Disc, Tern Verge D9, Tern Link D8, Dahon Curve

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
There is the Pacific Reach IF. 451 wheels and can be rolled while folded. It's discontinued but you can find the occasional bike crop up on Craigslist and you can still buy direct from Pacific Cycles. They have very limited stock but if you contact them through their website, Max Yeh will work with you. The frame does fold but that secondary bar does provide additional support and rigidity to the frame.
Here's a link to a review by the defunct NYCeWheels. (I do miss their reviews).

The Birdy's can be rolled when folded. Video of it here:

It also has a rear rack designed for it that has roller wheels that allow you to roll it when folded. There are also lots of after market roller wheels that you can install without a rack to roll it. If you want 20" wheels, you are looking at the Birdy R 20. It's difficult to find Birdy's in America. You may want to work with Bfold in NYC or directly with Pacific Cycles. That or take a vacation to Asia where you can find good deals on them and pack it into your suitcase. (Once travel is safe again).
Old 06-22-20, 05:37 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
The Tern Link D8 or D7i will roll while folded and has 20” wheels and folds very fast and has a rear rack. However the chainring is on the outside of the fold it seems so it seems you’re not careful you can tattoo yourself or others with an oily chainring mark while rolling or storing it. You might not like the frame hinge set up and it appears they had some kind of issue and recall with it 6 years ago.
Old 06-23-20, 01:36 AM
gleearch

Bikes: Birdy Monocoque Standard Disc, Tern Verge D9, Tern Link D8, Dahon Curve

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My wife has a Tern Link D8. Has a grip shifter, 8 speeds, andros 2 stem, and the Tern rear rack, which is a nice rack, and comes with a bungee cord. It folds easy enough but it's not a small fold nor fast. It's not the lightest of folding bikes but light enough to carry for a short distance (I didn't know you could roll it folded). It's not the fastest bike. It is a decent bike, that has a stable ride and comes with a lot of mid range features at a mid range price. We bought our Terns without knowing about the recalls. Now I check the hinge before we ride and to date (3 years and counting) there have not been any issues and our serial numbers are not part of the recall. Eventually we will replace these bikes with something else that I feel is more dependable. It's not a great feeling, wondering if your bike will ever fail. It may never happen but once the thought is there, it's not going to go away. There are plenty of Tern owners who have never had a failure.
Old 06-23-20, 07:58 AM
billridesbikes

Originally Posted by gleearch
My wife has a Tern Link D8. Has a grip shifter, 8 speeds, andros 2 stem, and the Tern rear rack, which is a nice rack, and comes with a bungee cord. It folds easy enough but it's not a small fold nor fast. It's not the lightest of folding bikes but light enough to carry for a short distance (I didn't know you could roll it folded). It's not the fastest bike. It is a decent bike, that has a stable ride and comes with a lot of mid range features at a mid range price. We bought our Terns without knowing about the recalls. Now I check the hinge before we ride and to date (3 years and counting) there have not been any issues and our serial numbers are not part of the recall. Eventually we will replace these bikes with something else that I feel is more dependable. It's not a great feeling, wondering if your bike will ever fail. It may never happen but once the thought is there, it's not going to go away. There are plenty of Tern owners who have never had a failure.
At least the Tern folding is faster than packing up my Bike Friday NWT. Haha
Here is the link to see if your model is part of the recall
https://www.ternbicycles.com/2014-li...luntary-recall
Old 06-23-20, 09:30 AM
linberl

Folding is different from packing, though. The NWT does have a quick fold. And once you know it, it is pretty fast. Of course, my pakiT folds even faster, I can do it now in 21 seconds. But, honestly, I don't see the difference between 21 seconds, 30 seconds or even 40 seconds in terms of folding - if your life is so pressured that those 10 seconds are life-changing, you need to different life, lol.
Old 06-23-20, 12:41 PM
billridesbikes

Originally Posted by linberl
Folding is different from packing, though. The NWT does have a quick fold. And once you know it, it is pretty fast. Of course, my pakiT folds even faster, I can do it now in 21 seconds. But, honestly, I don't see the difference between 21 seconds, 30 seconds or even 40 seconds in terms of folding - if your life is so pressured that those 10 seconds are life-changing, you need to different life, lol.
I only use the quick fold on the Bike Friday and a nylon bag to stash it in the hotel closet so it's out of sight from staff in those 'no bicycles allowed inside' kind of hotels or smuggle it through the lobby and up the elevator. It's too inconvenient and bulky to carry around folded, so I only carry a cable lock for cafe stops. Otherwise it gets packed in the rolling suitcase. Sadly this year Bike Friday has been stuck in the suitcase as travel has come to a halt.

Also, that 10 seconds difference can be critical when you're avoiding the Hilton security staff or when your boss is in the lobby looking for you to to 'ask one more thing about the presentation tomorrow'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.