Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How can you figure out whether to restore or not.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-15-21, 09:15 PM
Unlovedwarrior

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How do you know what to do with a possible vintage frenchy. Sell as is restore then sell part it out or just toss it out?
Old 07-15-21, 09:20 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Brand name needed to answer. Herse?

Constructeur, Handmade, or Production -

Unique or pedestrian.

Original paint, original components

how old, how much rust

Alternatively - learn French, couple of tools, some grease and ... and take that 'vintage frenchy' for a spin. Ooohh, La La.

Last edited by Wildwood; 07-15-21 at 09:30 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 07-15-21, 09:40 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Refurbish it!

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Ooohh, La La.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-15-21, 09:49 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
What do you want from life?
By The Tubes. 1970’s
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-15-21, 10:12 PM
repechage

Seriously, really depends as with ANY bike will the result fit your needs? Have you assessed basically what needs to be done?

on a French bike-
things that might crop up-
Pivo “death” stem
simplex black plastic derailleurs
( rear ... maybe, front, exchange before trouble)
rigida steel rims- any steel rim when wet does not stop well.

a truthful assessment on your experience.
if a first time project, stick with a Japanese bike. Cables, tubes, tires, and the associated bits are probably all you will require.
Likes For repechage:
Old 07-15-21, 10:24 PM
Unlovedwarrior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brand name needed to answer. Peugeot

Constructeur, Handmade, or Production - I'm assuming production

Unique or pedestrian. Idk pedestrian I guess

Original paint, original components everything original including shockingly decent decals.

how old, how much rust idk age or model chain and drivetrain really rusty and some rust on it in different places but tires and tubes still hold air and even with rust still rides ok.

Alternatively - learn French, couple of tools, some grease and ... and take that 'vintage frenchy' for a spin. Ooohh, La La.

Original paint, original components everything original including shockingly decent decals.

how old, how much rust idk age or model chain and drivetrain really rusty and some rust on it in different places but tires and tubes still hold air and even with rust still rides ok.
Old 07-15-21, 10:29 PM
Unlovedwarrior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by repechage
Seriously, really depends as with ANY bike will the result fit your needs? Have you assessed basically what needs to be done?

on a French bike-
things that might crop up-
Pivo “death” stem
simplex black plastic derailleurs
( rear ... maybe, front, exchange before trouble)
rigida steel rims- any steel rim when wet does not stop well.

a truthful assessment on your experience.
if a first time project, stick with a Japanese bike. Cables, tubes, tires, and the associated bits are probably all you will require.
Idk what I want to do, but as for what needs to be done basically remove all rust and/or replace chain and that stuff, brakes still work scary good but possibly replace the two shifter cables and the brake lines when I finally replace the brakes. Definitely replace tires really soon 26"
Old 07-15-21, 10:37 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Do you have bicycle type tools? Ever repaired anything?

Surface rust is an easy fix. Deeper rust is more work. Rusty components clean well if you can dis&reassemble.
Whether riding or selling - clean stuff is worth much more.

Does the frame fit your size body?
Old 07-15-21, 10:50 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
Use the "Gallery" feature to post pics before 10 posts, or get to 10 posts and put the pics up here. Then we can help you along the way. Against my better judgment, I have a weakness for French bikes. Spent the evening with a fellow BF member performing minor surgery on a particularly stubborn fixed cup of a French threaded bottom bracket on my Peugeot PX10.
Old 07-16-21, 12:08 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
Originally Posted by Unlovedwarrior

...put it out by the curb and hope someone else takes it.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-16-21, 03:05 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 441 Posts
Aide Photo

OP's Galerie
Old 07-16-21, 03:48 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 419 Posts
If you have any interest in riding this bike or a "French" bike of this vintage, clean it up, soak it with WD-40 and put it away till you find another "French" donor bike with a clean crank set, functional drivetrain and hopefully aluminum rimmed wheels. If you have the tools and knack, build a bike from the 2 and add $50 for tires, tubes and cables, you might have a $100 bike. If your really into detailing, you might be able get more for a well polished "restoration" I think you can get $20-25 for the brakes if you "part it out". It is an intrinsically cool bike so well worth saving, but not something to try and make a buck on.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 07-16-21, 04:44 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Make sure your tetanus shot is still good.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 07-16-21, 05:15 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
If you heart is set on this bike but this is your first bike overhaul this NOT the bike to start on. Besides the rust issues being French it will have some eccentricities such as odd thread sizes, etc. Store it for later and pick up something more standard to learn on. As someone else replied pick up an older Japanese bike to learn on. 1980's Fujis needing some TLC can often be had for pocket change and make very nice bikes when completed. They are good quality, easy to work on and even the low end models used good quality components. Strictly personal opinion but 1984 through 1986 seem to be the best years but any year is good.

Are you sure those 26" wheels? Look like 27's from here.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 07-16-21 at 05:24 AM.
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 07-16-21, 05:30 AM
tonyfourdogs

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail (1991)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Fond memories of my first bike restoration in this thread. Frame doesn't look too bad at all from that picture. Would be a shame to chuck it. If it's not the right project for you, I'm sure someone in your area will be pleased to take it on.
Likes For tonyfourdogs:
Old 07-16-21, 06:05 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Yep definitely the right project for the right person. If you don't want to deal with it, move it on to someone who wants to fix it up. It's not worth much as is. You can also donate it to a bike co op.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-16-21, 06:41 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,861 Posts
I had a blast teaching my gal about bike mechanical stuff while playing with restoring and refreshing (and lightening) the exact model of Peugeot.

If you can salvage most of the parts, it isn’t too bad, but Simplex mechs, cottered cranks, Mafac CPs and the fun shifters and brake levers require patience.

i have a set of steel wheels from the project that are orphans...
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 07-16-21, 06:47 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
First step is to binge as many threads you can on similar refurb topics here in the forum, including threads with detailed accounts (preferably go for the threads with lots of pictures) of others' experiences.

Then do another binge on every thread specific to rebuilding "Peugeot UO8" models.

That should get you started.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-16-21, 08:14 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 225 Posts
I always look at the paint. The bike may be dirty but if the paint underneath is in good condition it will make any restoration easier. also if the paint is in good shape the bike will probably not have been ridden as much. You can get a beautiful result by deep cleaning the frame , rubbing out with white polishing compound , then either waxing or, like I often do, clear coating with Rustoleum Automotive clear. (warning, never spray this over fresh paint. Disaster lurks as it will alligator the finish if the paint is not THOUROUGHLY dry).

Also check to be sure the seat post and stem aren't stuck. that can be a show stopper. Beware of heliomatic rear freewheels. best to just replace the wheel rather than mess with them. Heavily rusted bike - stay away. wheels with severe hop in rim - look for new wheel. cotteed crank - you better have access to a cotter press.

Old French bikes in particular can have compatibility issues. They can usually be bought cheap though so buying a parts bike might be a good idea.

When things work out though you might just end up with something like this 1962 Pug I restored for the Bike Exchange a few years ago.

Likes For capnjonny:
Old 07-16-21, 08:38 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by Unlovedwarrior
Idk what I want to do, but as for what needs to be done basically remove all rust and/or replace chain and that stuff, brakes still work scary good but possibly replace the two shifter cables and the brake lines when I finally replace the brakes. Definitely replace tires really soon 26"
make the rear shift cable the front. Buy one cable that way, same with the brakes...
But, those levers are I do not think to be trusted and even way back flexed an uncomfortable amount.
New front derailleur. locate one with the same basic cable housing need.
Rims look cringe worthy, can be derusted, Kroil the spoke nipples before any attempt to true the wheels.
Chain needed it appears
I would get new brake pads.
Tires probably Michelin Dynamic 27". Not 26"
Total up the shopping basket, including possible new cotters as the bottom bracket should be serviced
Consider your labor, ability and time. Tools at hand?
Could be reasonably nice when done, with the possible need for new or rebuilt wheels.
end value when done other than an entertaining bike? totally underwater I think.
Old 07-16-21, 08:44 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by capnjonny
I always look at the paint. The bike may be dirty but if the paint underneath is in good condition it will make any restoration easier. also if the paint is in good shape the bike will probably not have been ridden as much. You can get a beautiful result by deep cleaning the frame , rubbing out with white polishing compound , then either waxing or, like I often do, clear coating with Rustoleum Automotive clear. (warning, never spray this over fresh paint. Disaster lurks as it will alligator the finish if the paint is not THOUROUGHLY dry).

Also check to be sure the seat post and stem aren't stuck. that can be a show stopper. Beware of heliomatic rear freewheels. best to just replace the wheel rather than mess with them. Heavily rusted bike - stay away. wheels with severe hop in rim - look for new wheel. cotteed crank - you better have access to a cotter press.

Old French bikes in particular can have compatibility issues. They can usually be bought cheap though so buying a parts bike might be a good idea.

When things work out though you might just end up with something like this 1962 Pug I restored for the Bike Exchange a few years ago.

exchanged rims or wheels, Suntour derailleurs, (plastic avoidance) new chain and looks like a freewheel too, Mafac half hoods abandoned, (reasonable as replacements are too expensive now), new pads, cables, housing.
turned out well.
Old 07-16-21, 11:18 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
That Peugeot Mixte would cost a great deal to properly restore (way more than you could sell it for). If would also cost a fair amount just to get it road worthy and safe to ride. Again, the result would cost more than you could sell the bike for. And, based on the oxidized state, there is not much to part out and sell (no offense intended). That said...

Build it up as a junk bike (don't let that name offend you). A junk bike will (most likely) not be pretty but it will be road worthy and safe to ride. Replace only what is absolutely needed, such as cables, tires and brake pads. That, alone, will set you back close to a $100 (if you can do the work yourself). If you have to have a bike shop do the work, add another 100.00.

I often times build junk bikes for myself. They work great and do not have "steal me" written all over them. My last junk bike worked perfect and I had less than fifty dollars invested.

Looks pretty good from the street...

But not so good up close. None the less, ugly or not, it was a really good bike to ride...

Old 07-16-21, 12:57 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
I think it's a cool bike and would be well worth restoring if you enjoy restoring things. @randyjawa is right, you wouldn't be able to sell it for anything near what it would cost you to restore. You'd basically be paying for the experience of having done it and the satisfaction of saving a cool old bike.

If you don't want to do anything with it, I'd try to find a new home for it. You might be able to sell it for a few bucks. You might have to give it away. Either way, you can probably find someone who wants to keep it out of the landfill.
Old 07-16-21, 01:18 PM
Unlovedwarrior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you have bicycle type tools? Ever repaired anything? Actually yea I've been basically repairing a friend's motorized bike for him to exercise my problem solving, thinking out of the box and critical thinking plus I'm able to do normal guy stuff like that and other, I'm not like most guys when it comes to guy stuff but I'm learning. I've been buying new tools as I need them for different projects mainly woodworking and recently stuff for bikes.

Surface rust is an easy fix. Deeper rust is more work. Rusty components clean well if you can dis&reassemble. Yea rust removal won't be hard I'm sure I can dis and reassemble it.
Whether riding or selling - clean stuff is worth much more. I originally pulled it out to see if it was fixable/ridable, need something until I can afford a fuel pump for 17 Camry.

Does the frame fit your size body? Idk I think. Haven't got on it yet it rides in it's current shape had my useless brother test that.
Do you have bicycle type tools? Ever repaired anything? Actually yea I've been basically repairing a friend's motorized bike for him to exercise my problem solving, thinking out of the box and critical thinking plus I'm able to do normal guy stuff like that and other, I'm not like most guys when it comes to guy stuff but I'm learning. I've been buying new tools as I need them for different projects mainly woodworking and recently stuff for bikes. Surface rust is an easy fix. Deeper rust is more work. Rusty components clean well if you can dis&reassemble. Yea rust removal won't be hard I'm sure I can dis and reassemble it. Whether riding or selling - clean stuff is worth much more. I originally pulled it out to see if it was fixable/ridable, need something until I can afford a fuel pump for 17 Camry. Does the frame fit your size body? Idk I think. Haven't got on it yet it rides in it's current shape had my useless brother test that
Old 07-16-21, 01:21 PM
acm

Bikes: '84 Centurion Pro Tour 15; '97 Cannondale M900

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
If your goal is to make a little money on it, just sell it as-is. There's no money to be made in bike restorations, especially with parts being on the wrong side of the supply-demand chart right now. Especially considering this bike will need French parts!

Doesn't make sense to part it out either since the only part of this bike that is in apparently decent condition is the frame. Clearly it lived outside for a long time!
Likes For acm:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.