Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 02-09-16, 02:54 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
one of the best things i ever had for winter training was a basement with a bike set up on a trainer, rollers right next to it, and a squat lamp next to that.
being able to cut down on the 'overhead' time of setting up, or figuring out how to train - hell, just having a space to do it and feel comfortable doing it - was a huge reduction of the cognitive load of training. i had a space. i could go down there and train; and then come up and make dinner.
I live on a farm, so I have a nice big shed. In a corner I have my first road bike set up permanently on a trainer and a squat cage setup with weights and a bench. It's awesomely convenient being able to just pop up there for a workout. It saves time, and I'm still close to the family, so if perhaps the wife is going to be late or shopping, etc, then the kids can come grab me if there's a problem or sometimes they even come and hang with me while I'm working out. They do have a nasty habit of asking questions just when you're trying to put in a big effort like a sprint interval or in the middle of a set of squats! The only problem I had was when the first winter came and I was having difficulty progressing with the weights. A patio heater fixed that problem.

On the cost side, the weights were a big outlay, but not ridiculously huge. It's only a cheap Chinese gym setup. Everything is fine except I have bent my bar slightly. Buying a good quality bar is on the list, but the one I have is still ok and has been going strong for 4 years now. The weights check out to be correct, no dodginess there. The total outlay for everything including the Kurt Kinetic trainer was less than 2 years worth of gym membership. The fact that I don't have to wait for any equipment is an enormous bonus and the convenience factor that cuts down the total workout time is great.
Old 02-09-16, 03:01 PM
TrackMonkey7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm really enjoying this discussion. I'm probably one of the only regular competitive track cyclists who commutes ~4 hours to get to his home track. 'Cognitive load of training' becomes a very real thing when needing to be awake and aware for an additional 8 hours one day per week. That's before I take into account that I need to race that day, too (I use this fact to justify buying trick aero gear, helmets, wheels, shoecovers etc. ). I try to convince myself that the commute is just sitting down for four hours, but it really adds up week after week. T-Town is actually easier because I head out the night before and stay at someone's place overnight, so the drive is more relaxing as all I have to think about is getting there.

That being said, I've done a few things to make my workouts easier to execute. I always set up in my back entry, as that is where my bikes live with my trainer near the door, and the front of the bike pointing into the house. So, I've wedged my trainer close to the door meaning I only have to move it a foot or two, and I have a fan set up pretty close to where the front of the bike is. Again, it only has to move a foot or two. For the gym, they pretty consistently take ~1 - 1.5 hours. I leave about 1.75 to 1.5 hours before my gym closes, so that by the time I get there, I have an hour or so basically to myself. There's pretty few curlbros at the gym at 9:27 PM on a Monday night.

Additionally, when the weather starts getting nicer and more of the workouts can be done outdoors, I'll simply ride my track bike to work which is less than five minutes away with all the stuff I need in a bag. I work at a bike shop primarily as a mechanic. Our storage is upstairs which means hauling bikes up and down constantly, and we always test ride repaired bikes. Thus, it's a very physical job. I've found that if I go home to do my workout, I'll just have dinner, pass out for a few hours, wake up groggy and not give 100% on the workout or just skip it entirely. When my only way home is to ride my bike, I may as well do the workout.
Old 02-09-16, 03:32 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trackliche
And how did you find this affected your event performance? ((Mind out of the gutter here, please!))
IOW, did you see that the training setup seemed to pay off? Did you come into spring with a higher level of fitness than before?

I'm currently working on this setup. My trainer/rollers are good, and I'm waffling on the lifting setup; it's a big commitment in money and especially in space.
My gut says the emotional payoff (your "cognitive load of training" is a phrase I'd like to adopt, please!) would be worth it alone. I'm the type to get really down when the gym gets super crowded for a few weeks or the weather is really crummy for a while. Did you see a big quantitative as well as the qualitative effect there?

TC
I returned to bike racing after a 30+ year absence only two years ago. I used traditional training methods last year which meant plenty of LSD training over the Winter. The training consisted of 90 minutes on the rollers each night and 90-120 minute road rides on the weekends. I started racing early (mid-March) in order to get me up to racing speed by the Summer. Last year was a limited success due to a prolonged bout with Bronchitis followed by a gardening accident which knocked me off the bike for a few more weeks. My mental focus never did recover from these issues and I will say last season felt like a bust, except that I met the goal I posted in my signature on this forum. It was to compete in 100 races and my final tally was 109. So goal complete, but overall not feeling good about last season. Lesson learned: Have more goals.

This year's my goals are again posted in my sig. To that end, I am focusing on the entire season. I have bought a new trainer and a power meter to shift to power based training along with a periodization-based training plan. This is all new to me, but so far it is working pretty well. I'm down 20lbs thus far, so I am progressing on goal number 1. The other goals will require focus through October and beyond, which I what I lacked last year. I am using the TrainerRoad software, which is compatible with my trainer and more importantly with my iPhone, which means I can record data while on the rollers, the road, and the track(once I get new cranks). Since my goals are focused on the entire season, my training plan us mapped out through October. I know October is a long way away, but I am comfortable enough with varying individual workouts based upon how I am feeling. This also means I will continue some high intensity training days in the basement even during the Summer, which I've never done before.

Anyway, here's a snapshot of my training plan that I put into an Excel spreadsheet. The blue and adjacent cells are completed training days. The white and adjacent cells are planned trainings. Bright yellow cells are FTP test days. Pale yellow cells are optional outdoor training days. I already have all of my vacation days and race days planned for the season. Now all I need to do is execute.

I'm pretty psyched right now, but I'll let you know if it all works out towards the end of October.

P.S. I have everything setup in the basement and after dinner I give Mrs. D a kiss good night and head downstairs for the next two hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Training Plan.jpg (104.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-09-16, 11:41 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Woo! This was always one of my favorite topics over on FGF. It would get heated! It's tough for text to come off with the friendly discussion tone I'm trying to use. Keep that in mind here:
What is your rationale for your statement?
It's my understanding that the whole point of high intensity, short time efforts is to train the alactic and glycolytic energy systems. Or alternatively, to train like you fight. Recovery from each effort relies on the recovery of those energy systems, not on the ability to run aerobically. Power lifters don't run- they lift. Power riders don't ride- they sprint.
What's your take, taras0000?

TC
I think we might be closer to being on the same page than you think. I tend to tag anything that is submaximal as aerobic work. I don't think that a sprint athlete should neglect lower intensity aerobic work. Should they spend a lot of time doing it? NO. It's been my experience that aerobic work has helped my sprint training. Anything that improves your work capacity will allow you to improve maximal output. Take two weightlifters. Both squat 300#. One is only able to manage 4 reps. The other is able to manage 6 reps. Who do you think has the higher max? I know it's an oversimplification and only one way to see it.

It is my opinion that the extending one's ability to operate at their limit will allow them to raise that ceiling. To go faster requires more energy each time an improvement is achieved. Being a more efficient machine makes better use of the limited energy and recovery reserves available to an athlete. The athlete that is fresher at the beginning of each workout is more likely to make improvements that day. If he can do this more often than his competitors, he is able to build on that improvement much faster. Having a good aerobic base will allow you to improve on your glycolitic/lactic systems. This allows you to recover faster between efforts. Faster recovery means shorter workouts for the same amount of work = more time for recovery. Sprint work in itself will improve these things to a certain degree, but there are more effective/efficient/quicker ways to make these improvements, which in theory should speed up your sprint progression. Does this hold true for sprinters at the highest level of the sport. Probably less so than the guys who are chasing podiums on the weekends. At the Elite level a whole different level of training manipulation occurs to elicit infinitesimal improvements.

This is based on my own experience and what I've seen work. There are other training methodologies that work as well, and each one has it's merits and deficits. Looking back now, I would definitely make tweaks to my programs from years ago, but I would certainly not neglect the aerobic side of things. I would maybe do fewer "long" rides, and shorten them too, but I wouldn't go on a pure "sprint only" program as I found that although I got faster, it only helped to improve on my weaknesses, but I stagnated everywhere else. Keeping aerobic work in my program allowed me to "build a taller pyramid".
Old 02-10-16, 09:27 AM
JimiMimni

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish there were some way to qualify/quantify the training load of traffic on the way to racing.

Racing in the Springs (7-11/OTC Track) this winter has been a pretty hefty investment in "cognitive training load," with a minimum of 3 hours in the car per session/race day. I think I spent 5 hours in the car yesterday for an hour of racing. SO in the context of time spent preparing, AND training, I guess I'm getting pretty close to 40 hrs/wk if I make two trips to the Springs. That counts two 90-minute weight sessions, and 7-18 hrs/wk of riding. Lots of prep time goes in to that too. Maybe I should be less of a nancy about kitting up, and I could drop it to 38 hours a week. Heh
Old 02-10-16, 11:22 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
one of the best things i ever had for winter training was a basement with a bike set up on a trainer, rollers right next to it, and a squat lamp next to that.
being able to cut down on the 'overhead' time of setting up, or figuring out how to train - hell, just having a space to do it and feel comfortable doing it - was a huge reduction of the cognitive load of training. i had a space. i could go down there and train; and then come up and make dinner.
I think you just coined a new term for Sports Science

(seriously)
Old 02-10-16, 11:28 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by JimiMimni
I wish there were some way to qualify/quantify the training load of traffic on the way to racing.

Racing in the Springs (7-11/OTC Track) this winter has been a pretty hefty investment in "cognitive training load," with a minimum of 3 hours in the car per session/race day. I think I spent 5 hours in the car yesterday for an hour of racing. SO in the context of time spent preparing, AND training, I guess I'm getting pretty close to 40 hrs/wk if I make two trips to the Springs. That counts two 90-minute weight sessions, and 7-18 hrs/wk of riding. Lots of prep time goes in to that too. Maybe I should be less of a nancy about kitting up, and I could drop it to 38 hours a week. Heh
The struggle is real.

A couple of years ago, I backed off from the "full time masters racer" training schedule because I looked back and saw that I was neglecting my career (not learning new tech, exhausted, sleeping lots, and not getting to work early, etc...), I was also neglecting personal relationships. When I went to "weekend warrior" status, it was like my days got longer. I had time to do stuff, run errands across town, meet friends for drinks after work, etc...

...but I got fatter...so there's that, too.

I don't know if there is a happy medium between "weekend warrior" and "full time masters racer". I know there is, not sure if I'd be happy with it.
Old 02-10-16, 12:40 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never been a "full-time" master's racer, but I am certainly a "part-time" guy who puts in about 20 hrs per week (before July's crash). Like Carleton, I was tired, slept a lot etc. I finally fixed it by training the same but changing jobs to cut out about 4 hrs of commute to my job every day. Amazing what 4 extra days lets you do! Now back to about 12 hrs per week without gym work (doctors still don't want me stressing shoulder...but soon now). Seems to be working.
Old 02-10-16, 03:04 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
When I went to "weekend warrior" status, it was like my days got longer. I had time to do stuff, run errands across town, meet friends for drinks after work, etc...
Not to rag on the typical roadie model too much, but this is exactly how I felt when going from the chronic cardio paradigm to the track (with about 1/3 the saddle time, much more intervals and intensity). Previously: 6-hour sufferfest on Saturdays, followed up by being utterly useless for what little remained of the day; and then another ride on Sunday. Now: Saturday done before 10am; Sunday off. Weekends reclaimed. To be fair, during the week I probably spend more time than before, if you count lifting M/W/F. But I'm fortunate to have weights in the garage.
Old 02-10-16, 03:30 PM
Trackliche

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
I think we might be closer to being on the same page than you think. I tend to tag anything that is submaximal as aerobic work. I don't think that a sprint athlete should neglect lower intensity aerobic work. Should they spend a lot of time doing it? NO. It's been my experience that aerobic work has helped my sprint training. Anything that improves your work capacity will allow you to improve maximal output. Take two weightlifters. Both squat 300#. One is only able to manage 4 reps. The other is able to manage 6 reps. Who do you think has the higher max? I know it's an oversimplification and only one way to see it.

It is my opinion that the extending one's ability to operate at their limit will allow them to raise that ceiling. To go faster requires more energy each time an improvement is achieved. Being a more efficient machine makes better use of the limited energy and recovery reserves available to an athlete. The athlete that is fresher at the beginning of each workout is more likely to make improvements that day. If he can do this more often than his competitors, he is able to build on that improvement much faster. Having a good aerobic base will allow you to improve on your glycolitic/lactic systems. This allows you to recover faster between efforts. Faster recovery means shorter workouts for the same amount of work = more time for recovery. Sprint work in itself will improve these things to a certain degree, but there are more effective/efficient/quicker ways to make these improvements, which in theory should speed up your sprint progression. Does this hold true for sprinters at the highest level of the sport. Probably less so than the guys who are chasing podiums on the weekends. At the Elite level a whole different level of training manipulation occurs to elicit infinitesimal improvements.

This is based on my own experience and what I've seen work. There are other training methodologies that work as well, and each one has it's merits and deficits. Looking back now, I would definitely make tweaks to my programs from years ago, but I would certainly not neglect the aerobic side of things. I would maybe do fewer "long" rides, and shorten them too, but I wouldn't go on a pure "sprint only" program as I found that although I got faster, it only helped to improve on my weaknesses, but I stagnated everywhere else. Keeping aerobic work in my program allowed me to "build a taller pyramid".
Right on. I'll agree that there's a place for aerobic work in a sprint program. SOMEthing's got to get you to the start of your f200, to where the moto drops you off in a keirin, and help with the last 250m of a kilo. Seems to me that stuff can be taken care of with a few tempo rides per week (I do it Francis-style, 70%Max over race-distance durations) in between hard days.

I think where we differ is in assuming the aerobic work in any way affects the recovery from alactic and glycolytic energy system training protocol. Aerobic work isn't the bottom of the pyramid on which a sprint is built. It's not even necessarily the biggest part of the pyramid on which a quick kilo is built. The difference between the lifter doing 4 300# reps and the lifter doing 6 300# reps isn't aerobic energy. If it is, then those lifters should be doing 1) way more weight to work a relevant strength-based energy system or 2) doing way way way more reps and winning whatever competitions it is that measure how long someone can lift before they can't anymore. Maybe Crossfit or something?
I feel pretty strongly that the science backs up my approach here, but would be extremely interested to see studies presenting information counter to this. I fully understand the "gut feeling" and the info gleaned from years of training logs. I've been over and back and forth myself quite a bit. I call into question not the data or correlation thereof, but rather the interpretation.

TC
Old 02-10-16, 08:35 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Right on. I'll agree that there's a place for aerobic work in a sprint program. SOMEthing's got to get you to the start of your f200, to where the moto drops you off in a keirin, and help with the last 250m of a kilo. Seems to me that stuff can be taken care of with a few tempo rides per week (I do it Francis-style, 70%Max over race-distance durations) in between hard days.
This is the reason why sprinters NEED to do some sort of aerobic training

I think where we differ is in assuming the aerobic work in any way affects the recovery from alactic and glycolytic energy system training protocol.
A good aerobic base makes for more effective training when working these systems. Yes you don't need to do aerobic work to train at higher intensities, but it's a chicken/egg sort of thing here. A allows you to build B, but training B will also build A to a certain degree, which will bring improvements back to B.

Aerobic work isn't the bottom of the pyramid on which a sprint is built. It's not even necessarily the biggest part of the pyramid on which a quick kilo is built.
You don't need it to be fast, but as you mentioned in the bolded part above, it makes you a more effective/rounded racer. The aerobic capacity will also allow you to survive a full day of sprint rounds, with warm-ups and cool-downs. If you're only fast, but not fit, fatigue will prevent you from using your speed later in the day. The fresher you are, the faster you are as the day goes on.

The difference between the lifter doing 4 300# reps and the lifter doing 6 300# reps isn't aerobic energy. If it is, then those lifters should be doing 1) way more weight to work a relevant strength-based energy system or 2) doing way way way more reps and winning whatever competitions it is that measure how long someone can lift before they can't anymore. Maybe Crossfit or something?
This wasn't about highlighting how one energy system is necessary to develop another, but about work capacity. Work capacity allows one to train more effectively, and you will develop it when applying specificity, but it will develop more slowly this way. Just like the term fitness, work capacity is relative to the needs of the athlete. A sprinter doesn't need the same kind of work capacity as a pursuiter, but if two sprinters (identical in physical make up and strength) at the beginning of the season have identical times, the one with the better work capacity will be the one who will be able to train more effectively and progress quicker. You can use aerobic work to develop this capacity. The trick is not doing too much of this type of work to detract from speed.

I feel pretty strongly that the science backs up my approach here, but would be extremely interested to see studies presenting information counter to this. I fully understand the "gut feeling" and the info gleaned from years of training logs. I've been over and back and forth myself quite a bit. I call into question not the data or correlation thereof, but rather the interpretation.

TC
The truth is that we can all be doing different things and making progress. Even truer is that we will never be able to implement the most cutting edge techniques as those will be closely guarded secrets of the most Elite riders. Charlie was a brilliant trainer and much of what we have to deal with is based on stuff he was doing in the 80's. I have yet to read his book, but am really looking forward to it. I'm interested in trying his stuff as I think at my age, with real life getting in the way, it may be a more effective use of time/resources for me. How long have you been implementing his principles and what sort of improvements have you seen from his techniques.
Old 02-11-16, 06:26 AM
Trackliche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know what? I got all inflamed about this, and thought I'd go through some of my papers and drop a research-backed bomb regarding how full of **** you are.

After picking through my hard drive of PDFs and my treasured sheaf of wrinkly, bunny-eared, stapled-and-restapled research papers, I didn't really find a whole lot of ammo to argue with. Basically, the research I could find on the subject says that the effect of aerobic fitness on multiple sprint exercise (this is extremely poorly-defined, BTW) is up in the air. Some research shows a positive correlation between factors of increased aerobic fitness and performance in multiple sprint exercise, while others don't. A big sticking point seems to be the lack of data regarding the mechanism by which this occurs. Obviously, there are all sorts of caveats and "oh, but. . ."s, and "this is only one part of the puzzle"s, but in this specific instance, I didn't find much with which to arm that missile I wanted to North Korea you with.

In other words, it appears that you're not wrong.

Hum.

TC
Old 02-11-16, 06:38 AM
Trackliche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh- I should point out that a lot of the aerobic fitness indicators that were measured for those studies were of our previously-outlined "submaximal" variety. Lots of VO2Max, etc. IOW- hard aerobic, not easy aerobic.

TC
Old 02-11-16, 06:50 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
4 hours each way? You guys need to move closer to a velodrome!

I have two indoor timber velodromes and 6+ outdoor tracks within an hours drive. Two outdoor tracks are around 10 minutes away in the car!
Old 02-11-16, 07:12 AM
dunderhi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dalai

I have two indoor timber velodromes and 6+ outdoor tracks within an hours drive. Two outdoor tracks are around 10 minutes away in the car!
Okay, please tell where you live, so that I can start planning for my retirement. I'll need to let the Mrs. know well in advance.
Old 02-11-16, 07:39 AM
JimiMimni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai

I can ride to my usual track in 30 minutes. Unfortunately, it's snowed been snowed in since November. We're discovering this "neat" phenomenon where water will freeze in the board gaps of turn 1. Even if the track LOOKS clear, you might be in for a treat!
Old 02-11-16, 07:50 AM
JimiMimni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know what? I got all inflamed about this, and thought I'd go through some of my papers and drop a research-backed bomb regarding how full of **** you are.

After picking through my hard drive of PDFs and my treasured sheaf of wrinkly, bunny-eared, stapled-and-restapled research papers, I didn't really find a whole lot of ammo to argue with. Basically, the research I could find on the subject says that the effect of aerobic fitness on multiple sprint exercise (this is extremely poorly-defined, BTW) is up in the air. Some research shows a positive correlation between factors of increased aerobic fitness and performance in multiple sprint exercise, while others don't. A big sticking point seems to be the lack of data regarding the mechanism by which this occurs. Obviously, there are all sorts of caveats and "oh, but. . ."s, and "this is only one part of the puzzle"s, but in this specific instance, I didn't find much with which to arm that missile I wanted to North Korea you with.

Hum.

TC
I tried doing research on cycling in grad school, and had to give up. 95% of the literature I was finding was garbage, either through poor study design, poor protocols, contradictory findings (usually because of poor study design and/or protocols) or simply because the work isn't relevant to racing. Unless you've got some review papers that have hundreds of citations, keep any single study in the "Maybe." category. Also, if you've got those papers, PLEASE SHARE!
Old 02-11-16, 09:36 AM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any of you guys going to be at Milton this weekend?
Old 02-11-16, 09:40 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ill swing by, not racing though (Im in protest for the lack of sprint events lol)

what kit/bike are you on Ill be sure to introduce
Old 02-11-16, 09:54 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JimiMimni
I can ride to my usual track in 30 minutes. Unfortunately, it's snowed been snowed in since November. We're discovering this "neat" phenomenon where water will freeze in the board gaps of turn 1. Even if the track LOOKS clear, you might be in for a treat!
Sounds like you are talking about my local velodrome. I'm getting my exercise by shoveling snow off the velodrome.

I live 10 minutes away by car. I know of two riders who bought houses near the velodrome after it opened
Old 02-11-16, 05:42 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Hum.

TC
It's kind of funny how we'll never know for sure. I always used to try and model my training around what the Aussie Kilo/3rd man did in the late 90's/early 2000s. Guys like Shane Kelly, Ryan Bayley, and Ben Kersten could kick ass in Sprints, Keirins, Scratch, and Wheelraces. And prior to these guys, their Sprinters did less roadwork, and more specific sprint work. During the beginning of the Kelly/Eadie/Bayley era, the Brits also emulated similar methods. This was when Hoy, McLean, and Queally were just starting to make inroads into the top 10 (sometimes cracking top 5) on the world level. Then the Brits changed their methods and were quickly becoming the world-beaters. The Aussies shifted their approach to closer mimic the Brits in response. I'll never know if the fitness gained in the Brit's early years were the reason they were able to improve when they changed, or whether it was a waste of time and they should've been doing it all along. I think we'll know for sure in a few years when we see how the younger riders who've been immersed in a more specific speed program their whole career do. Maybe then we'll get some better insight/answers into this.

I really wish you could've found something definitive. I'm too lazy to do this kind of research anymore and would have loved to be wrong and know for sure that I should try new methods. Back to training program ADHD and bouncing back and forth between training philosophies.
Old 02-11-16, 07:07 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
So I finished second layer of glue on my tubular rims, but I don't get why I have to wait 24 hours.
I think 4~5 hours is dry enough to put an another layer.
Do you guys wait 24hours?
Old 02-11-16, 07:14 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by gycho77
So I finished second layer of glue on my tubular rims, but I don't get why I have to wait 24 hours.
When in doubt, follow the instructions
Old 02-11-16, 07:44 PM
dunderhi

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gycho77
Probably because you got glue all over your rim and still haven't attached your tire, so now you need to wait for it to dry. Quit frankly, I've glued dozens of tires and raced in hundreds of races and never did the layering technique. I have never rolled a tire. That said, I think there is a broad range of acceptable techniques that will securely glue a tire to rim.
Old 02-11-16, 08:05 PM
JimiMimni

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
Sounds like you are talking about my local velodrome. I'm getting my exercise by shoveling snow off the velodrome.

I live 10 minutes away by car. I know of two riders who bought houses near the velodrome after it opened
I'm most assuredly talking about the BVV! You just gave me a good idea for when my lease ends!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.