Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

SPD sandals for indoor riding

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 05-23-22, 01:23 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts

Thoughts on wearing SPD sandals instead of shoes for indoor riding?

I've never worn cleated sandals but injured a toe last year and wore a regular slide sandal with a platform pedal just to keep some fitness while it healed. Didn't feel as awkward as I expected, though it was far from ideal.

Thinking that sandals could be good for breathability, especially on longer sessions where there's not that much air flowing through the feet compared to riding outside.
Old 05-24-22, 09:59 AM
Bearhawker

Bikes: '23 Devinci Hatchet Carbon Apex1 '19 Norco Bigfoot 6.1 ,'12 Motobecane Turino (killed by dog crash), '12 Trek 3700 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 74 Posts
I ride almost exclusively in Nashbar SPD sandals - they fit my wide feet great.

They have a toe cap which technically makes then shoes not sandals) but they are *VERY* well ventilated.
Old 05-24-22, 11:24 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
In my (very limited) experience, SPD sandals aren't as stiff as full shoes. Whether that's a problem for you will depend on where you like to place your cleats and how long you ride at a time.

If you're not too precious about a pair of shoes you're comfortable with already, you could always cut holes in them.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-20-22, 03:51 PM
Muni

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I love our Cyclingdeal sandals. With the recessed area for SPD cleats, you can walk around easily even though the soles are plenty stiff. No need to worry about marking up the floor at home either.

I noticed that Exustar and Cyclingdeal both have the same manufacturer in Taiwan produce sandals for them so go with whichever is cheaper (assuming you're interested).
Old 09-30-22, 04:39 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
I do have a dedicated pair of shoes for my trainer. They get as sweaty as hell during a hard indoor session, but I just don't care! I do dry them with a fan so they don't smell too bad in the long term. I do quite like the idea of sandals for extra ventilation, but I prefer to train in the same shoes that I use on the road.
Old 09-30-22, 06:47 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,781 Posts
I can see the idea of wanting cooler feet. As for drying them after rides, I just put my shoes on a boot dryer. Mine claims to produce ozone to kill the microbes, but I doubt it's really doing enough to do that. Just the moving air (I don't have the heat in the dryer turned on) dries them out and that's enough to keep the microbes from growing and making the shoes smelly.
Old 09-30-22, 08:03 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts
this is a neat idea and new to me. 1. I didn't know there are sandals for cycling cleats. 2. I would not have thought to use them for winter roller riding, but now I might.
Old 09-30-22, 10:40 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Meant to post an update after recently getting a pair of Shimano sandals that I found on sale. Fit is a bit weird for me and the sole is definitely not stiff but feet are a lot cooler.