Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Velo Sport Routier 10

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Velo Sport Routier 10

Old 05-30-07, 09:53 PM
Altinos
Fiend

Bikes: Specialized Expedition, Schwinn World, Schwinn Varsity, Nishiki Meridian SC, Atala Grand Prix, Azuki

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velo Sport Routier 10

https://picasaweb.google.com/altinos/VeloSport

A freebie. I thought that it would be lighter once I got the steel components off, but it's still a little heavy. Still, a free lugged steel bike in my size (or damn close) is not bad. I can't find out much about them, other than they were made in Canada, and one in very good shape recently sold on eBay for $132. Much better shape than this one.

This one has interesting Shimano Tourney center pull brakes that don't require a yoke.
Old 05-31-07, 01:02 PM
GJD

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got an '82 Velo Sport Prestige. Their top end were good with an emphasis on touring. Mine has Tange #2 tubing, fully lugged, and complete Shimano 600 group. 25lbs for the complete bike. Velo Sport were assembled in Quebec, but were purchased by Procycle (Rocky Moutain) in the 90s. Procycle stopped making them earlier this decade.
Old 05-31-07, 07:04 PM
pinerider
bici accumulatori

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa touring bike, 1964 CCM roadster, 1959 CCM Motorbike, 2002 KHS FXT mtb + more to fix!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a VeloSport Appalache 15 touring bike I use for winter commuting. It has 3 x 5 speeds, non-indexed downtube shifters. I changed the Shimano Alevio ( I think?) rear derailleur for a Deore LX after the Alevio got sucked into the spokes. It has low rise Weinmann cantilever brakes that are different from what you see on most bikes. The brakes don't inspire me to go out on a loaded tour.
Old 05-31-07, 08:48 PM
Altinos
Fiend

Bikes: Specialized Expedition, Schwinn World, Schwinn Varsity, Nishiki Meridian SC, Atala Grand Prix, Azuki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tonight I stripped off the rest of the parts, and was shocked at how heavy the crankset was, which means the frame is lighter than I thought. It doesn't have any braze-ons, so this would make an interesting fixie if I wanted to run it with just a front brake.
Old 06-05-07, 05:06 PM
defrag

Bikes: Lynskey Sportive / Marinoni Fixed / VeloSport Appalache Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GJD
I've got an '82 Velo Sport Prestige. Their top end were good with an emphasis on touring. Mine has Tange #2 tubing, fully lugged, and complete Shimano 600 group. 25lbs for the complete bike. Velo Sport were assembled in Quebec, but were purchased by Procycle (Rocky Moutain) in the 90s. Procycle stopped making them earlier this decade.
I bought the same bike in 82 or 83. Some pictures here.
Old 06-05-07, 05:52 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by GJD
Velo Sport were assembled in Quebec, but were purchased by Procycle (Rocky Moutain) in the 90s. Procycle stopped making them earlier this decade.
Actually, the purchase of Velo Sport by Procycle goes back to 1974. Initially Procycle did only the assembly, but by the late 1970s were manufacturing the frames.

The Link Mechansim on the Tourney brakes was introduced in 1977, so presumibly, the bicycle is no older that that. The decals indicate it is no newer than 1981. In the early 1980s, the Routier 10 was 2nd from the bottom of the adult, lightweight lineup.
Old 06-05-07, 06:24 PM
Altinos
Fiend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you know what kind of steel it was? I want to say hi tensile but it seems lighter than that.
Old 06-05-07, 06:30 PM
T-Mar

It's almost certainly hi-tensile steel. The literature doesn't state the steel, which is a good bet it's inexpensive. Early 1980s, versions have a claimed weight of 29 lbs and that's also in the hi-tensile range.
Old 06-05-07, 07:45 PM
vjp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey T-Mar,

I have meant to ask you this before, I also have a VeloSport and it is actually pretty high end, Italian BB and steerer, Campagnolo dropouts, Columbus SL tubing, nice short lugs and detail cutouts. I am pretty sure that it is contract built, and I believe that it is a 1982 model. Do you know a model or remember that kind of build in a VeloSport? I had hoped that it was a Jocelyn Lovell model but I think that they came later and were a little lower end.

Thanks

vjp
Old 06-06-07, 08:32 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by vjp
Hey T-Mar,

I have meant to ask you this before, I also have a VeloSport and it is actually pretty high end, Italian BB and steerer, Campagnolo dropouts, Columbus SL tubing, nice short lugs and detail cutouts. I am pretty sure that it is contract built, and I believe that it is a 1982 model. Do you know a model or remember that kind of build in a VeloSport? I had hoped that it was a Jocelyn Lovell model but I think that they came later and were a little lower end.

Thanks

vjp
I know your bicycle pretty well. It is a Supra and came in a rose color called vermeil red. However, it should be 1983 or newer. Yes, they were almost certainly contract built. If I recall correctly, the waiting period on them and the Mirage was about 4 months. The Bloor Cycle team raced on them in the mid-1980s.
Old 06-06-07, 10:20 PM
vjp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks T-Mar! The serial # is 83007 so it probably is an 83. It was painted by brush with red house paint when I rescued it and after stripping it was red underneath and had traces of chrome on the fork which I had no choice but to strip. Did they ever have a brochure or catalog? I got mine as a frame and fork with a Record BB and Super Record headset, did they come complete or as a frameset?

vjp
Old 06-07-07, 06:39 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by vjp
Thanks T-Mar! The serial # is 83007 so it probably is an 83. It was painted by brush with red house paint when I rescued it and after stripping it was red underneath and had traces of chrome on the fork which I had no choice but to strip. Did they ever have a brochure or catalog? I got mine as a frame and fork with a Record BB and Super Record headset, did they come complete or as a frameset?

vjp
The bicycle was sold complete using a Nuovo Reccord/Super Record mix. The amount of chrome varied, depending on the year. Some years, there was none. For reference, the ones around 1983 tended to have chrome dropout flats, fork crown and and drive side chain stay. I've got some decent pics of circa 1985 models, if I can find them.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the Jocelyn Lovell model put out by Velosport was a later, entry level model.
Old 06-07-07, 07:05 AM
Altinos
Fiend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
It's almost certainly hi-tensile steel. The literature doesn't state the steel, which is a good bet it's inexpensive. Early 1980s, versions have a claimed weight of 29 lbs and that's also in the hi-tensile range.
Perhaps it seemed a lot lighter to me because the crankset is solid steel and weighs about 10 lbs.
Old 10-16-08, 09:20 PM
misterxis
Mister X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone know this model of Velo Sport?
Old 10-16-08, 09:21 PM
misterxis
Mister X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 10-17-08, 07:59 AM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by misterxis

Looks like it's the "Jesus" model. j/k I don't know, but she's a nice looking mixte.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

https://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog
Old 10-17-08, 08:18 AM
T-Mar

I'd say that it has rec'd some fairly substantial ugrading. Those forks look like replacements and the wheels are mismatched. Good pics of the drive side and tubing sticker may help. Also, post the serial number. Based on the decals and lugless, DBS construction, it should be very late 1980s or 1990s. Traditionally, the mixte models were Routier or Courrier models.
Old 01-13-09, 06:53 PM
misterxis
Mister X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually all parts were replaced, including the fork. Where can I find the serial number on the frame?

What is the meaning of "mixte"?
Old 06-03-15, 01:12 PM
MyVeloSport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a website showing Year o Manufacture by logging in the Serial Number of a Velo Sport?
Old 12-04-22, 02:03 PM
misterkeeper
catman

Bikes: 1981 Velosport mirage ,Gt avalanche

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Velosport mirage

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I know your bicycle pretty well. It is a Supra and came in a rose color called vermeil red. However, it should be 1983 or newer. Yes, they were almost certainly contract built. If I recall correctly, the waiting period on them and the Mirage was about 4 months. The Bloor Cycle team raced on them in the mid-1980s.
Would love to have some more information on the Mirage model . I have one with sn M1M55676 and looking for more information on the frame. Mine has shimano dropouts.