Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1968 Rene Herse Gentleman's Bicycle

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1968 Rene Herse Gentleman's Bicycle

Old 01-17-22, 04:08 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by 2flit
A Rene Herse Tandem for sale at a bicycle club in France....
​​​​​​https://tandemclubdefrance.fr/index.php/occasion/tandems-a-vendre/9-tandems-a-vendre/95-rene-hers
H**Y CRAP!

Glad its not my size.
Old 12-02-22, 05:05 PM
2flit
2Flit

Location: Orcas Washington and currently Circumnavigating in a Farrier F36 Trimaran

Bikes: 1968 Rene Herse Gentleman's Bike; 1974/5 Jim Merz Custom-built; 1984 Rodriquez tandem; 2012 Bilenky Tandem; 1967 Cinelli SC; 1984 Specialized Exp. 68cm; 1971 Holdsworth 63cm(my first bike ever and owned since new!); 1994 Bridgestone MB5; 86'Trek420

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 35 Posts
So I've returned after a five year sailing trip with my wife in our home made Farrier F36 trimaran (we didn't build it). I came back home to our property on Orcas Island . We have an unheated but fancy fully insulated barn with a nice cement floor and thermo-pane windows. I thought bicycle storage in their would be fine. I had twelve other bicycles in their (ten of them older that 1972) many with a repaint I did going back as far as 1979. They all came out looking like the day I left...
EXCEPT the Rene Herse
I am horrified but the paint on this frame aged 30 years or more while I was gone. I feel terrible about what I have done to this rare and special bicycle. There is all kinds of rust trying to show itself thru the paint and the Top Tube... Oh my god; it;s terrible. There is totally exposed 531 with surface rust over about 30% of the 1/8 top radius of that tube. And close-up pictures reveal paint that's thin and crackling/crazing all over the place.
I'm selling several of my bikes now and hoping the wife will let me spend the income on re-painting the Rene Herse (just sold a tricked out R20 for $1,030 USD on Tuesday) But looking into this..,. A proper repaint that 100% duplicates what's there now (probably) costs over $2,000.

I'm so embarased that I don't want to post pictures but I'll do just one.

And if any of you live in a humid climate and have fine vintage bicycles, I've now learned that they should be carefully cleaned and then heavily waxed before you take off.

Old 12-02-22, 07:34 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
So I've returned after a five year sailing trip with my wife in our home made Farrier F36 trimaran (we didn't build it). I came back home to our property on Orcas Island . We have an unheated but fancy fully insulated barn with a nice cement floor and thermo-pane windows. I thought bicycle storage in their would be fine. I had twelve other bicycles in their (ten of them older that 1972) many with a repaint I did going back as far as 1979. They all came out looking like the day I left...
EXCEPT the Rene Herse
I am horrified but the paint on this frame aged 30 years or more while I was gone. I feel terrible about what I have done to this rare and special bicycle. There is all kinds of rust trying to show itself thru the paint and the Top Tube... Oh my god; it;s terrible. There is totally exposed 531 with surface rust over about 30% of the 1/8 top radius of that tube. And close-up pictures reveal paint that's thin and crackling/crazing all over the place.
I'm selling several of my bikes now and hoping the wife will let me spend the income on re-painting the Rene Herse (just sold a tricked out R20 for $1,030 USD on Tuesday) But looking into this..,. A proper repaint that 100% duplicates what's there now (probably) costs over $2,000.

I'm so embarased that I don't want to post pictures but I'll do just one.

And if any of you live in a humid climate and have fine vintage bicycles, I've now learned that they should be carefully cleaned and then heavily waxed before you take off.

Don't beat yourself up too much! This is now in the past. Rust and other imperfections are part of a bikes history. It's still in good hands since you have the means and the will to resolve the issue. I am looking at your pic and I am wondering if it could mostly be cleaned up with evaporust or oxalic acid and then protected with regular waxing and/or some other clear protectant over the exposed areas. It would be a pity to lose the original finish even if it wasn't as nice as it once was. A repaint would be last resort IMO.
Likes For tricky:
Old 12-02-22, 09:37 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
There is all kinds of rust trying to show itself thru the paint and the Top Tube... Oh my god; it;s terrible. There is totally exposed 531 with surface rust over about 30% of the 1/8 top radius of that tube.
Based on the older closeups, I'd venture to say that the bare spots were probably already there due to porosity of the paint, but it oxidized quickly in its current environment.

I'd echo what tricky said - this just might come off with an OA bath, including the rust (such as on the seatstay caps) which it had when you got it. No idea if the sign paint used for the hand-painted lining or downtube decal would survive, but it's worth a try dunking an inconspicuous area as a test.

I recently picked up a Moulton Mk.1 that's in surprisingly good shape but also has a layer of surface rust throughout it - I plan to OA it to see if I can literally wash it off and keep the original finish.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-02-22, 09:48 PM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Molteni 2005, Colnago Master X-light Mapei 2020

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 201 Posts
Another surprise!

I've never seen this model of Rene Herse in Japan

Thanks millions
Likes For darkmoon:
Old 12-03-22, 01:51 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 343 Posts
Your modifications seem well thought out, except perhaps for the built-in tape dispenser on the top tube.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 12-03-22, 02:02 PM
2flit
2Flit

Location: Orcas Washington and currently Circumnavigating in a Farrier F36 Trimaran

Bikes: 1968 Rene Herse Gentleman's Bike; 1974/5 Jim Merz Custom-built; 1984 Rodriquez tandem; 2012 Bilenky Tandem; 1967 Cinelli SC; 1984 Specialized Exp. 68cm; 1971 Holdsworth 63cm(my first bike ever and owned since new!); 1994 Bridgestone MB5; 86'Trek420

DarkMoon,
This is not the original build... I tried to Private message you with an original unmolested build photo but your not set up to recieve PM's
I can't find the exact same design in the Herse Catalog either. The original owner (I'm the third) had a 69cm hiker built for him also and I suspect was a regular customer at the Herse shop.... So this was a very similar build the the 1968 "Gentleman's" bicycle without the chain guard. It was the original owners 'city bike'.
The tubing is incredibly light weight and most certainly not normal on a frame this tall.
I think allot of the Herse bicycles wound up being custom in one way or another
Old 12-03-22, 02:13 PM
2flit
2Flit

Hi Ogden,
I have all the original parts in storage, and replaced the wear items with new stuff Jan supplies.
I don't think the paint is retrievable with just wax, I live on an island surrounded by salt water in the Pacific Northwet. It's not kind to paint this thin and old. I'm working on an estimate for a period correct exact repaint with Jeff Bock.
Until then, I plan to do some cleaning and waxing... but Oxalic acid scares the daylights out of me. Have you used this on 60 year old paint on very valuable frames?

Last edited by 2flit; 12-03-22 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-03-22, 07:43 PM
darkmoon
Japan Tourism Bureau

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Molteni 2005, Colnago Master X-light Mapei 2020

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 201 Posts
DarkMoon,
This is not the original build... I tried to Private message you with an original unmolested build photo but your not set up to recieve PM's
I can't find the exact same design in the Herse Catalog either. The original owner (I'm the third) had a 69cm hiker built for him also and I suspect was a regular customer at the Herse shop.... So this was a very similar build the the 1968 "Gentleman's" bicycle without the chain guard. It was the original owners 'city bike'.
The tubing is incredibly light weight and most certainly not normal on a frame this tall.
I think allot of the Herse bicycles wound up being custom in one way or another
Hi, 2flit!

I've just checked "receive other members' PM" button.
Try it again, please.
I'm looking forward to see your pic!
Old 12-03-22, 07:53 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked 2,033 Times in 1,246 Posts
That's the first time I've seen details of the 'gusseted' 'lugged' 'reinforced' whatever mudguards. Oh my.

Last edited by clubman; 12-03-22 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-04-22, 05:50 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by jonwvara
Your modifications seem well thought out, except perhaps for the built-in tape dispenser on the top tube.
Let's not put him down in his hour of crisis; trying to figure out what to do with a Herse that's blooming rust is bad enough. Let's all help him through this with our collective knowledge.

Better some padding on the TT than a bunch of scrapes to the metal. My '46 Humber is victim of that over it's life and I pop a bit of foam insulation on it whenever moving it.

Oxalic acid scares the daylights out of me. Have you used this on 60 year old paint on very valuable frames?
The one thing I've had with OA is that when the frame comes out of the bath, the paint often has a chalky white layer on top which can be unsettling. This comes off with a polish, and in one case where I couldn't get to a fork for two days after pulling it out of a neutralized bath and wiping it, I found the original color had returned on its own.

Feel free to look at the OA baths I did in these threads:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ks-within.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post22702933 (There are multiple bikes in this thread - you want to follow the story of the Marinoni).

More than happy to guide you through it. I'd be less concerned about the paint and more concerned about how the hand lining and lettering will come out. It looks like the period equivalent of One-Shot sign paint that is still sold here IIRC. Dunking some cured One-Shot on a frame with a similar finish might be a good baseline.

-Kurt

Old 12-04-22, 07:41 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Originally Posted by cudak888
Let's not put him down in his hour of crisis; trying to figure out what to do with a Herse that's blooming rust is bad enough. Let's all help him through this with our collective knowledge.
I am rightly chastised. I didn't mean to sound snarky--I honestly couldn't figure out what the tape was all about.

I would only suggest that OP not do anything in haste. A repainted bike is repainted forever, and it's not like this one is going to crumble to dust if it isn't refinished right away. Find a drier place to store it and mull things over for a few years, preferably while out riding the bike itself. Maybe you'll decide that keeping the original paint, flaws and all, is the right move--or rather, non-move.

--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 12-04-22, 07:44 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by jonwvara
I am rightly chastised. I didn't mean to sound snarky--I honestly couldn't figure out what the tape was all about.

I would only suggest that OP not do anything in haste. A repainted bike is repainted forever, and it's not like this one is going to crumble to dust if it isn't refinished right away. Find a drier place to store it and mull things over for a few years, preferably while out fiding the bike itself.. Maybe you'll decide that keeping the original paint, flaws and all, is the right move--or rather, non-move.
No worries

Agreed that the decision can't be a rash one, whether it's taking steps to preserve the existing finish or a refinish. Has to be done right, regardless. I must confess, I'm hoping someone shares their experiences (and pictures, perhaps) with Evaporust on an existing paint job.

-Kurt

Old 12-05-22, 02:54 AM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
No worries
I must confess, I'm hoping someone shares their experiences (and pictures, perhaps) with Evaporust on an existing paint job.

-Kurt

I once partially submerged a fork in Evaporust for about 24 hours. Part of the steerer and crown race were above the water line, at an angle (I filled a wallpaper tray with a whole gallon and my intent was to get all the paint under the surface).

The Evaporust etched nice straight lines on either side of the crown race and a left a black parabola shaped discoloration (because of the angle) on the steerer.

Never again.
Old 12-05-22, 06:58 AM
jonwvara 

I have successfully used Evaporust on a couple of complete frames frames. There's a thread out there called something like "Immersing a 63 cm frame in 2 gallons of Evaporust" that describes how to do just that.. It could probably be found via Google, given that the BF search function does not actually work.

I would hesitate to try it on a historic frame like this one, though, given that others have had issues with staining, lines forming, etc.. The final results probably depend on paint chemistry and various other unknown unknowns.

PS--Here's a link to the thread mentioned above:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...evaporust.html

--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 12-05-22 at 09:15 AM.
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 12-05-22, 07:17 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,575 Times in 2,580 Posts

OA definitely improved this Pug mixte, but the finish was still pretty beat.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-05-22, 04:17 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
IMO, if the rust can be minimized, I think a repaint would be worse than letting the rust bloom in the first place. Losing paint that was applied by the maker himself would be a sad thing. That said, we haven't seen detail photos of the rust. Side note, but I would remove that tape from the top tube. It's probably holding in moisture.

You can try OA or Evaporust by dipping a bit of paper towel in the stuff and then applying it to some place inconspicuous like under the chain stay an then wrap it in saran wrap to keep it moist for the duration of the instructed treatment time. If you are considering a repaint anyways, you have nothing to lose.
Likes For tricky: