Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bar tape

Old 11-26-22, 04:49 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Now I'm confused. It seems like you're talking about moving your saddle relative to the BB, rather than just changing to a seatpost with less setback in the cradle while keeping the same saddle-BB offset.
My point is that setting the saddle too far forward relative to the saddle rail clamp may affect a rider's balance on the saddle, regardless of what motivated said rider to slide the saddle forward in the first place, e.g., to decrease reach, to sit more forward relative to the BB, etc. The extent of this effect (of course) depends on the rider's weight and where exactly the rider sits on the saddle. You had mentioned positioning the saddle to prevent "falling forward"; this is taught in the two videos below, which I follow to set my saddle fore/aft position relative to the saddle rail clamp.

Old 11-26-22, 05:47 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
"Bar Tape" ?
Old 11-26-22, 09:06 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I should have been more specific. What I had meant above was that the saddle fore/aft position relative to the saddle rail clamp of the seat post should be set for balance, whereas the seat post offset should be used to adjust reach.

For example, if the saddle rails are clamped toward the rear of their useable range, then a rider sitting on the middle of the saddle would tend fall forward and put too much weight on his/her hands (as you had described). It may be better to get a zero offset seat post and clamp the saddle rails at (or slightly forward of) the middle of their useable range to adjust the balance while maintaining the saddle fore/aft position relative to the bike frame.
"Set for balance"? What? and "seat post offset should used to adjust reach"? No. Not how it's done.
Old 11-26-22, 09:06 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I should have been more specific. What I had meant above was that the saddle fore/aft position relative to the saddle rail clamp of the seat post should be set for balance, whereas the seat post offset should be used to adjust reach.

For example, if the saddle rails are clamped toward the rear of their useable range, then a rider sitting on the middle of the saddle would tend fall forward and put too much weight on his/her hands (as you had described). It may be better to get a zero offset seat post and clamp the saddle rails at (or slightly forward of) the middle of their useable range to adjust the balance while maintaining the saddle fore/aft position relative to the bike frame.
"Set for balance"? What? and "seat post offset should used to adjust reach"? No. Not how it's done.
Old 11-26-22, 11:05 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Perhaps I have misunderstood what the two videos I linked are describing. So how should saddle fore/aft position be set?
Old 11-26-22, 11:20 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by dreamingant
Okay, so let me start by admitting I've never changed my bar tape before. Seemed easy enough. Bought some tape, watched a couple vids. And, dammit... Did I wrap too tight or are there different lengths of bar tape? Because I came up a few inches short. (insert joke)

Anybody else also feel like the OP wrapped them backwards? I wrap heading OUTWARD (clockwise on the right, CCW on the left) as I was taught that the natural wrist motion would pull the tape taught instead of trying to unravel it. I wouldn't undo it if I were the OP, but rather take note in case it does come undone prematurely and do the next job the other way when the time comes.

Also, that adorable dog seems to want to play tug-of-war with your bike.
Old 11-26-22, 11:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10392 Post(s)
Liked 11,842 Times in 6,062 Posts
Perhaps I have misunderstood what the two videos I linked are describing. So how should saddle fore/aft position be set?
Set saddle fore/aft position as in the videos, but unless you can't get the saddle as far one way or the other as it needs to be in the seatpost you have, you don't need to change it. It's where the saddle is relative to the bottom bracket and thus the pedals that you're adjusting. Relative to the saddle clamp is mostly irrelevant - except, as I said, if you can't get it where it needs to be in that seatpost.

I have a variety of bikes with different seat tube angles, from fairly steep to fairly slack. The slackest ones, I use zero setback posts with the saddle clamped near the back of the rails, whereas on the steepest I have a seatpost with 2cm of setback clamped in the middle of the rails. But they all have the same setback relative to the bottom bracket.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-27-22, 06:39 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Hypothetically the saddle and post flex a different way with different seat tube angles and seatpost offsets but same saddle setback from BB. How much of an issue it is in practice? I can't really feel it 🤷
​​​​
Old 11-28-22, 01:51 PM
ratell

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Supacaz is a great tape, but it's on the short side. Doesn't leave a lot of margin for error. Glad you got it sorted.
Likes For ratell:
Old 11-28-22, 03:02 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
practice my son....
Old 11-28-22, 04:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Anybody else also feel like the OP wrapped them backwards?
I mentioned that in reply #13. No one seems to have been bothered about it but you and I. Maybe someone else mentioned it, but I'm not going to dig that hard to find them.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-28-22, 05:42 PM
Vinnems

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
There isn't a right or wrong way per se, but the preferred way is, when viewing the bars from above, to be moving away for the frame when you come over with the wrap, starting at the drops. That way, as your hands naturally "rev" on the handle bars, it goes in the direction of the tape.
And some tapes are naturally shorter. I used Deda tape on my bike originally, and had no choice but to overlap only a third or I'd never make it to the top, and even then it didn't come as far up as I prefer. I used Cicelli tape last time, and could've overlapped by half and would still have tape left over.
Likes For Vinnems:
Old 11-28-22, 06:37 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Iride01
I mentioned that in reply #13. No one seems to have been bothered about it but you and I. Maybe someone else mentioned it, but I'm not going to dig that hard to find them.
So you did. Sorry I (and apparently everyone else) missed it. Maybe we were too enthralled with the saddle position debate.
Old 11-28-22, 07:43 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
That's the direction I wrap, and was taught to wrap.
Old 11-28-22, 07:49 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Starting at the bar end:
I hate when the bar end tape starts getting loose. Grrr.

Here's how I start the taping: I use a narrow strip of gorilla tape to secure the end of the tape to the bar end. It's half on the bar, half for folding over inside the plug. This is way more secure than using electrical tape.
The tape end is on the bottom of the bar.
One full revolution around the bar end, no angling yet. Now I start angling up the bar, overlapping about 1/3 of the tape. Pull it pretty tight here.

~~~
I like tapes without the adhesive strips -- silicone grippers are way easier. I often have to redo the part past the shifters to get good coverage at the turn -- lots of overlap there, and still reach the middle of the bar area.
Tapes are shorter than they used to be!
Old 11-28-22, 09:48 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Starting at the bar end:
I hate when the bar end tape starts getting loose. Grrr.

Here's how I start the taping: I use a narrow strip of gorilla tape to secure the end of the tape to the bar end. It's half on the bar, half for folding over inside the plug. This is way more secure than using electrical tape.
The tape end is on the bottom of the bar.
One full revolution around the bar end, no angling yet. Now I start angling up the bar, overlapping about 1/3 of the tape. Pull it pretty tight here.

~~~
I like tapes without the adhesive strips -- silicone grippers are way easier. I often have to redo the part past the shifters to get good coverage at the turn -- lots of overlap there, and still reach the middle of the bar area.
Tapes are shorter than they used to be!
I do a full revolution with the tape hanging about halfway off the end of the bar (however much is needed to make the plug tight), then fold it in and stuff the bar end in after it. Seems to do a pretty good job of holding the tape in place, at least after I get one more revolution down.

Agree with no adhesive. Not only does it gunk up the bar (I know it's hidden, but still), but it also makes it difficult to unwind a little to make adjustments or fix a mistake. I can get picky and want both sides to have the same thickness and number of turns.
Old 11-29-22, 10:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Iride01
(raises hand)

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-29-22, 10:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I do a full revolution with the tape hanging about halfway off the end of the bar (however much is needed to make the plug tight), then fold it in and stuff the bar end in after it. Seems to do a pretty good job of holding the tape in place, at least after I get one more revolution down.

Agree with no adhesive. Not only does it gunk up the bar (I know it's hidden, but still), but it also makes it difficult to unwind a little to make adjustments or fix a mistake. I can get picky and want both sides to have the same thickness and number of turns.
I like the adhesive, because I'm forever misplacing the electrical tape or the shears I use to cut the angled end up by the stem, and I have to step away and find them, and when I come back, with the adhesive I only have to redo the last loop. But I could probably make do without it. I find that the adhesive on the Fizik tape I use isn't terribly sticky, so unwind/rewind is not that much of a problem.

Cinelli tape, OTOH - the adhesive is too strong and the tape itself too weak, so that if you're trying to adjust the wrap any time down the road, the adhesive tears up the tape. Luckily Cinelli tape is cheap - I use it for the first wrap after a build, so that if I later decide I need a different bar or stem, I'm not out the cost of good tape.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-30-22, 12:54 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

(raises hand)
Dang, post #4 even! Guess I haven't been paying attention lately.
Old 11-30-22, 01:38 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Sorry to have sidetracked with the saddle position vs. seat post offset discussion. Back to the main topic, here is my OCD way of wrapping bar tape:

Start from bar end, leaving an overhang of about half the width of the bar tape for securing bar end plugs, wrap outward (i.e., clockwise when looking at right bar end from rear and anti-clockwise when looking at left bar end from rear), overlapping by about 1/3 on the bottom (i.e., outside of curve of bar shape), because the extent of overlap on the top (i.e., insider of curve of bar shape) would change as bar curves, swap tape direction around base of STI lever, so that the tops are wrapped by pulling tape over the top toward rear of bike. Do not cut, temporarily tape bar tape in place with masking tape, then do the other side. Both sides should end with same remaining lengths; if not, redo the side with longer remainder, using slightly less tension, until both sides have same remaining lengths. Then cut and secure with finishing tape.
Old 12-01-22, 08:28 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I like the adhesive, because I'm forever misplacing the electrical tape or the shears I use to cut the angled end up by the stem, and I have to step away and find them, and when I come back, with the adhesive I only have to redo the last loop.
LOL I am reminded of the slippery plastic tape my old (70s-era) Sears bike had..... It wasn't stretchy or clingy at all so you had to keep it wound tightly the whole time until you could tape down the ends. Letting go for just a moment would cause a dozen or more loops to immediately uncoil!

I also seem to remember starting at the stem and finishing down by the bar ends. If there were mistakes to be made - I made them!
Old 12-01-22, 09:52 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
LOL I am reminded of the slippery plastic tape my old (70s-era) Sears bike had..... It wasn't stretchy or clingy at all so you had to keep it wound tightly the whole time until you could tape down the ends. Letting go for just a moment would cause a dozen or more loops to immediately uncoil!

I also seem to remember starting at the stem and finishing down by the bar ends. If there were mistakes to be made - I made them!
Some folks do wrap from stem to bar ends. Then you don't need finishing tape. I've never done that, myself.

Old 12-04-22, 02:24 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Sorry to have sidetracked with the saddle position vs. seat post offset discussion. Back to the main topic, here is my OCD way of wrapping bar tape:
OCD would count the laps - both sides the same number of wraps, both above and below the brakes. A truly OCD would be counting as they wrap and already know how many laps it was going to be.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 12-04-22, 04:05 PM
Vinnems

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Some folks do wrap from stem to bar ends. Then you don't need finishing tape. I've never done that, myself.
I'm stuck in my habits, but I don't know why starting at the stem isn't more popular. I can't see it not resulting in an equal product; you're wrapping the same, just backwards. Most tapes offer more than enough that you don't need to worry about running out.
Next time I do a wrap job, I think I'll give it a try.
Old 12-04-22, 04:29 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinnems
I'm stuck in my habits, but I don't know why starting at the stem isn't more popular. I can't see it not resulting in an equal product; you're wrapping the same, just backwards. Most tapes offer more than enough that you don't need to worry about running out.
Next time I do a wrap job, I think I'll give it a try.
I did stem to bar ends for years, in the days of cloth or thin plastic tape. No need for finishing tape, as the plugs finished it off. Then I learned that was wrong and changed my ways. Like a lemming. I understand the rationale, but must admit I dislike the look of finishing tape.

Sometimes things are done the way they are done because that's the way they are done, and justifications are imagined and argued.

Wrap your tape how you like. Buck convention. Live free or die.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.