Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help! Want to change gearing and some other stuff on my 1984 Peugeot PH11

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help! Want to change gearing and some other stuff on my 1984 Peugeot PH11

Old 12-04-22, 07:41 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
pccp, you won't like to hear this but I'm going to say it anyway.

Buy a different bike. Buy one that is already set up the way you want it, or at least mostly the way you want it.

I could explain why I say this but just let that sink in first.
Old 12-05-22, 01:16 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26249 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
Originally Posted by pccp
Well that really chaps my hide. I was wondering about that... If it's not compatible they do say I can chop it down and put a campagnolo mounting claw (not sure if thats even the right one though for a modern rd) on it. I'm not entirely opposed to it. A little worried I'll mess it up. Maybe I'll buy the rd and just check it before anything else. I can always sell it.
Just to check again since no one replied to that part of my earlier message.. I can use an 8 speed rd on my current 6 speed right?
...the simplest approach to changing out the rear derailleur on a bike with Simplex (presuming you don't want to pay the exhorbitant prices asked for the Simplex used long cage ones on ebay), is to go with a Shimano Crane or a Shimano Titlist in the long cage versions. They both sork about the same, but the Crane has slightly better finish, and is lighter in weight. They have an integral stop washer that will grab the Simplex dropout on the edges. Then you just need to enlarge the 9mm hole to10mm, and therad it with a 10mm fine thread tap. then it bolts right in. But your bike is new enough that it might be originally made with a Campagnolo style dropout. I can't tell from your pictures.

I still would not do this project, because it's starting to sound like some real money in parts.

Those Stronglight cranks are worth money to someone else in the C+V world, who is more interested in originality than you. It's considered a nicer French crank.
Old 12-05-22, 05:47 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 205 Posts
pccp If you need to lower the FD more than the adjustment allows, you can use THIS from Wickwerks. it is already too high for the chainring you have, so I dont thing there is enough adjustment avaialble for a smaller large cahin ring.
I had no problems using a 48/38/28 on my DuraAce 7400 rear deraileur. the front shifting was hard and iffy , especially shifting into the inner or outer chainring. Do-able, but not anywhere near smooth...This required a new BB (too long, but I didnt have time to dial in the chain line), new TA chain rings with a tripleizer 38, and a new chain for the length needed. of course the crossover gears are more problematic than usual, but you should be avoiding those already! all together this cost me over $100, but under $200 I think. BB was cheap, but TA rings were pricey.

this took a new BB
Old 12-05-22, 06:47 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...the simplest approach to changing out the rear derailleur on a bike with Simplex (presuming you don't want to pay the exhorbitant prices asked for the Simplex used long cage ones on ebay), is to go with a Shimano Crane or a Shimano Titlist in the long cage versions. They both sork about the same, but the Crane has slightly better finish, and is lighter in weight. They have an integral stop washer that will grab the Simplex dropout on the edges. Then you just need to enlarge the 9mm hole to10mm, and therad it with a 10mm fine thread tap. then it bolts right in. But your bike is new enough that it might be originally made with a Campagnolo style dropout. I can't tell from your pictures.

I still would not do this project, because it's starting to sound like some real money in parts.

Those Stronglight cranks are worth money to someone else in the C+V world, who is more interested in originality than you. It's considered a nicer French crank.
I have never tapped and threaded a Simplex hanger myself. But my understanding is that the correct procedure is to run a 10mm tap through the existing 9mm hole. If you enlarge it and run a 10mm tap through a 10mm hole, nothing much will happen, because there's not enough material for the tap to cut threads into.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 12-05-22, 07:19 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 396 Posts
I think the Simplex equipment just makes this conversion even more difficult. I've done a few Suntour and Shimano conversions and they were not easy. With many parts changing, the possibilities for difficulties increase. You may find the chainline difficult to get right with the front triple.
I'm with nlerner , try a compact double and see how that works. You may find N+1 to be a better answer.
Old 12-05-22, 01:41 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26249 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I have never tapped and threaded a Simplex hanger myself. But my understanding is that the correct procedure is to run a 10mm tap through the existing 9mm hole. If you enlarge it and run a 10mm tap through a 10mm hole, nothing much will happen, because there's not enough material for the tap to cut threads into.

...I have done it on this bike. I just used the tap, but it was hard on the tap. You are right on that 10 mm hole, but the less stuff you need to take out with the tap, the easier it is. So maybe enlarge the hole to 9.5 mm would be a more accurate description, Or just use a tap. But get the proper fine threading for the tap, because they come in various iterations.
Old 12-07-22, 03:15 PM
pccp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I got the bottom bracket off and put on the new rear derailleur. It's english threading and the derailleur seems to work, so I'm kind of encouraged but at the same time I still need new wheels and some other things. Front derailleur might not work either as it is.
Here's a thing that I wanted to float for other people's opinions though ... I found a road bike for $170 that seems like its in decent condition. It's aluminum and I have no desire to ride it but I was thinking of stripping the parts off it to use with this bike. It's a 2006 novara carema with mavic aksium wheels and shimano 105-5600 10 speed with a triple front. I don't think I would want to even use the triple but it's a possibility... I could even swap the bb over. STI shifters alone are going for $100 or more. Think I should pull the trigger?