Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Constant creaking during pedaling solution

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-20, 02:11 PM
Richard8655

Bikes: 2007 & 2008 Specialized Tricross Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

After many attempts to identify and fix a constant creaking and sometimes clicking sound coming from my drivetrain, finally the solution. This had been going on for quite a long time. And while the noise was slight, it was irritating especially on long rides. I went through all the solutions I could find on YouTube and various diagnosis sites like Park Tools. Even cleaned and re-greased the bottom bracket and made sure the cranks were on tightly. Was starting to think maybe the bearings themselves were worn out.

It turns out to have been simply the cassette attachment to the freewheel hub. A few drops of oil in the spaces at both sides of the attachment while spinning the wheel solved the problem. The Sheldon Brown website helped confirm this:

Lubricating Freewheels

Freewheels should be oiled from time to time with a medium-weight oil.

This is easy to do, and generally requires no disassembly. Warning, though: unless the freewheel body is clean, the oil will carry grit and grime into the mechanism!

If the body is clean, do this:

Hold the bicycle with the rear wheel off the ground, and leaning to the left at about a 45 degree angle. An assistant may be helpful for this. Turn the pedals around a couple of times to get the wheel spinning fast, then let it coast (helps to be in high gear for this.)

Look inside the smallest sprocket. The sprocket will be stationary, since the wheel is coasting, but you'll see an inner part of the freewheel that is spinning with the wheel. Drip oil onto the crack between the turning part and the stationary part. Gravity and capillary action will help work oil into the freewheel.

Repeat this a few times, until you hear a change in the sound of the clicking pawls (they'll generally get quieter when the oil reaches them.)

Last edited by Richard8655; 11-08-20 at 02:16 PM.
Likes For Richard8655:
Old 11-08-20, 04:25 PM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
Nice work!

Phil Wood made a tool for injecting grease into the older style threaded freewheels. I did this on my Cannondale in awhile back, and it has been silent ever since. I thought the Phil grease would be too thick for the pawls, but apparently not because I have not been gentle with it and it has never skipped a beat.
Likes For reconnaissance:
Old 11-08-20, 04:36 PM
Richard8655

Bikes: 2007 & 2008 Specialized Tricross Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Excellent and thanks much! That Phil Wood tool sounds exactly what we need in these situation and as part of regular maintenance.
Old 11-08-20, 05:54 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Stein Tool also made a very nice one for oiling freewheels. Not sure if still made but well made. I got mine used
Likes For WGB: