Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Inline barrel adjuster broken

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-22, 06:44 AM
utoner34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Ability to change rear gears lost on my bike. I can pull cable housing out od adjuster on bith sides, please look at the pictures. When i try to push them back in and rotate the adjuster, it seems it doesnt make a difference. My rear gear is currently stuck on lowest? gear (at the smallest chainring on cassete). Is the barrel adjuster broken? I am on the road and i am yrying to get my rear grar working, at least to the bike shop, which is not close. I have tiagra 10 speed.

Old 06-01-22, 08:22 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 264 Posts
When I fix a bikes that have seized adjusters, I simply re-do the cable at the derailler, and I am always spot on with perfect shifting, without need to touch an adjuster, working or seized.

In your case, I would get rid of the inline adjuster entirely, and get new housing.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 06-01-22, 08:22 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Can't tell if that's broken or not but are you sure your cable hasn't snapped? Could be it's only being held together by a couple strands at the shifter so check near the cable head and along the length of cable.
Old 06-01-22, 09:53 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Have you disconnected the cable at the derailleur? If not, you shouldn't be able to spread the housing at the adjuster like that, and I agree the cable may be broken, probably at the shifter.

The small sprocket in back is high gear, where the rear derailleur (RD) rests with no cable tension. If you need to ride the bike, you may be able to screw the high limit screw (marked "H" on the RD body) all the way in and shift a couple of gears lower to get an easier ride. Don't try to push the RD with the screw--shift into low gear manually while pedaling, then stop pedaling and release the RD. Another method for a lower gear, more complicated, is to knot a broken piece of cable at a frame stop or exposed housing end, manually shift into low, and tighten the RD pinch bolt in that held position.
Old 06-01-22, 12:48 PM
utoner34

Update:

yes, the cable was broken, but havent noticed at the time of writing.
I will buy a new cable tomorrow, hopefully I will not need to buy a new housing.
Old 06-01-22, 01:37 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by utoner34
Update:

yes, the cable was broken, but havent noticed at the time of writing.
I will buy a new cable tomorrow, hopefully I will not need to buy a new housing.
Unless your housing is relatively new, I’d consider replacing it while you’re doing the inner cable. New housing can make a new cable even smoother, and it only costs $1.50 a foot or so…
Old 06-01-22, 11:51 PM
utoner34

Originally Posted by Rolla
Unless your housing is relatively new, I’d consider replacing it while you’re doing the inner cable. New housing can make a new cable even smoother, and it only costs $1.50 a foot or so…
Yes, but threading it through my bike frame is a nightmare
Likes For utoner34:
Old 06-02-22, 01:15 AM
utoner34

I cannot find the end cap, is it possible if it snap near the end, for an end cap to stay inside somehow, causing further issues?
Old 06-02-22, 06:17 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
The cable end is stuck in the shifter. That's probably not good. It may rattle around in there without a problem, but more likely it will jam the shifter. Removal attempts could take hours and still be in vain. It takes fairly involved disassembly on a bench, good light, dental picks and tweezers, and good luck to get it out.

I once had one fall out after months of minor shifting problems.