Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Accident Help Please

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Accident Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-22, 09:45 AM
Ridgsta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Accident Help Please

I had an [moderator edit….accident] The defendents insurers are trying to heavily discount the cost of my road bike, It's a Specialized Tarmac SL4 purchased in 2018 which Specialized replaced with a brand new 2019 frame in May19 due to a fault, I also have a carbon wheelset which was purchased just 3 months before the accident. Both bike and wheelset were pristine.

My argument is that without a costly scan/xray on the carbon frame we cannot be sure of the bike and wheels safety and either they undertake this, or fully compensate me for the bike.

My solicitor has been unable to locate any supporting case law in support of our claim for new for old.

Does anyone on the forums have any advice or point me to some case law that may be of help?

Last edited by StanSeven; 11-03-22 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Remove accident details
Old 11-03-22, 10:06 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6954 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Take it to a Specialized dealer and ask their opinion; they will tell you that they cannot guarantee the bike's safety. Ask them to put that opinion in writing and give it to your solicitor.
Old 11-03-22, 10:08 AM
Ridgsta

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks, not sure about the quote though
Old 11-03-22, 10:11 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Solicitor tells us you're likely UK based and advice needs to reflect that.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-03-22, 10:16 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://support.specialized.com/home...ed-replacement
Old 11-03-22, 10:33 AM
Ridgsta

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dedhed
Solicitor tells us you're likely UK based and advice needs to reflect that.
Yes, thanks
Old 11-03-22, 11:09 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,981 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridgsta
I had an [moderator edit…accident] The defendents insurers are trying to heavily discount the cost of my road bike, It's a Specialized Tarmac SL4 purchased in 2018 which Specialized replaced with a brand new 2019 frame in May19 due to a fault, I also have a carbon wheelset which was purchased just 3 months before the accident. Both bike and wheelset were pristine.

My argument is that without a costly scan/xray on the carbon frame we cannot be sure of the bike and wheels safety and either they undertake this, or fully compensate me for the bike.

My solicitor has been unable to locate any supporting case law in support of our claim for new for old.

Does anyone on the forums have any advice or point me to some case law that may be of help?
Take the bike to a shop they should be able to give you a quote and all of those costs should be on the ticket. If they are a good shop they will charge for their services but that cost should pass on to to the über's insurance. We do insurance quotes all the time at the shop usually everything works out pretty well, they just need a professional to look at it. I would also talk with your local Specialized dealer (which you might already do above) and they can potentially help with crash replacement and get you some off a new frame (not that the insurance needs to be involved with that they shouldn't).

Last edited by StanSeven; 11-03-22 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-03-22, 11:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Off the cuff: Unless you can demonstrate a loss you are not entitled to compensation for a loss. Sometimes, proving a loss costs you something.
Old 11-03-22, 12:31 PM
Ridgsta

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Take the bike to a shop they should be able to give you a quote and all of those costs should be on the ticket. If they are a good shop they will charge for their services but that cost should pass on to to the über's insurance. We do insurance quotes all the time at the shop usually everything works out pretty well, they just need a professional to look at it. I would also talk with your local Specialized dealer (which you might already do above) and they can potentially help with crash replacement and get you some off a new frame (not that the insurance needs to be involved with that they shouldn't).
Many thanks for the advice, probably something I should have done after the accident but my focus has been on my rehab until now👍
Likes For Ridgsta:
Old 11-03-22, 02:36 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Moderation note - don’t post details of any accidents online. All the information becomes widely available then which may impact your rights and possible liabilities. The original post was edited.
Old 11-03-22, 04:18 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
I don't know how it works in the UK, but in the US you would only be entitled to the depreciated value of the item damaged. You would not get the full replacement cost of the damaged item. This would also hold true if the repair cost of an item exceeds the depreciated value - you would not receive the repair cost, but rather the depreciated value.
Old 11-03-22, 04:43 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked 1,198 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by keithdunlop
in the US you would only be entitled to the depreciated value of the item damaged.
Assuming in the US, how is depreciated value determined?
Is it simply a calculation, BBB, or could I start finding items similar to my loss and the selling price of those items in my area?

For example BicycleBlueBook (BBB) claims 2017 Cervelo R5 Red etap = $3,500-3,600 ....... same bike on Bay Area Craigslist right now $4,750
That is a +31% difference over BBB in my neck of the woods.

In summary, can you build a case against the depreciation value?

Barry
Old 11-03-22, 04:52 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
In summary, can you build a case against the depreciation value?
Not likely. Just because someone is willing to pay more for an item in a private party transaction doesn't mean the item is necessarily more valuable.
Likes For keithdunlop:
Old 11-03-22, 05:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18370 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Ok, so I understand that there is no visible damage on either the frame or wheels. Yet you want them all replaced.

Did you say why you think they have been damaged?

I am seeing that there are inspection services. Probably several of them if you hunt.

This place lists prices:
https://carbonbikedoctor.com/inspection-diagnostics/

$450 for frame + fork inspection.
$200 for handlebars inspection
$220 for EACH wheel inspection.

Ruckus Composites apparently has some similar tools, but don't seem to list prices independently from repairs.

https://www.compositesworld.com/arti...fiber-bicycles

Say you spend $700 on inspections that end up showing nothing. Who pays?

The insurance company may still decide that is a good investment versus a few thousand dollar bill you'll try to hit them with.
Old 11-03-22, 05:35 PM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
Sorry about the misfortune. I know a little about property insurance claims and hope what I have to add to the others’ comments will be useful to you.

The principle you’re wrestling against is “indemnity”. The simple gist of it is that it is impossible to restore an individual completely to their position seconds before the loss occurred. Some things are simply unrestorable to the prior condition, and some are simply irreplaceable. So western-based legal systems allow the insurer to convert the loss to a number representing the “actual cash value” of the loss.

The actual cash value of your bicycle is what they appear to be offering you. In order to obtain a higher offer, you simply (or creatively) substantiate the value of your loss.

In this forum, we all know that personalization of a bicycle beyond the factory assembled unit has a cost. Replacing an older bicycle might also involve shipping charges, so you could include that in your claim. The value of items on your bike above and beyond stock can be claimed, but you will need to substantiate each and every item you are claiming.

Best,
Mike
Likes For reconnaissance:
Old 11-03-22, 07:48 PM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
I should add that there is a concept of diminished value, which essentially is the loss of value of a vehicle because it has been in a collision, and because it was in a collision, a potential buyer knowing it was in a collision would only be willing to buy the vehicle at a discounted price to account for the intrinsic loss of value. The difference between the the two states of the vehicle being the diminished value.
Old 11-03-22, 07:53 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts
What ever the case or loss... I am wishing you a complete and full recovery recovery...
Old 11-04-22, 08:28 AM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
I was involved in a slow speed motorcycle crash many years ago (U.S.). Due to parts replacement cost, the motorcycle was deemed a total loss. The insurance company offered a low amount for the value of the motorcycle. I found 3 completed auctions on Ebay for the same motorcycle and presented them to the insurance company as the "Market Value" for the bike. The insurance company averaged the 3 prices of the ads and offered that to me.

Hope this helps...
Old 11-04-22, 09:02 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Based on my experience with a motor vehicle accident, I think you are in for an uphill fight. I owned an older pickup truck with some expensive modifications. Insurance would only cover the value of a similar age truck without the modifications even though I had the receipts for the work and new parts. Good luck. You know that the job of insurance companies is to collect premiums and deny claims.
Old 11-04-22, 10:22 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Wouldn't your Solicitor be able to recover sufficiently on pain and suffering medical damage to offset the insurance company's cheapskate offer on the bike? Unfortunately, they depreciate it more than what current values are.