Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Dual Sport Gen 5

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek Dual Sport Gen 5

Old 02-09-23, 06:00 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Talking Trek Dual Sport Gen 5

Some companies like Kona, Norco, Breezer etc. had come out with 650b hybrids but I did a quick search on Youtube and it looks to me like those brands don't have as many fans (looking at the # of views). I think the idea Trek would do this is fantastic. 2 inches is what they determined would give people enough suppleness with speed at the same time (although I usually posted about 2.4" tires). I could live with 2 inches though. I could also live with the internal cabling although I find it's a horrific decision to make given the amount of work it takes if you wanted to modify the bike.

Now, (talking about the rigid fork models), there's the base model with Shimano Tourney derailleurs and shifters, 46/30T crankset, aluminum frame & steel forks and Tektro mechanical brakes. The second model also has the same kind of crankset but has a mix of Altus and Acera for the shifters/derailleurs, an aluminum fork and hydraulic disc brakes. The Deore model above that has a 1x crankset and carbon fork.

I think they may not have much of a choice with pricing given the after-effects of the pandemic and the on-going Ukraine war but I was almost confused and irked that the Tourney model was so expensive. I thought the Deore model was so cheap compared to it why didn't they do the following: 1st model: same crankset, steel fork but all Acera shifters and derailleurs, Tektro mechanical disc brake, 2nd model same crankset, aluminum fork but all Alivio shifters and derailleurs and hydraulic disc brakes. The Deore model could stay the same although I could care less about 1x or the carbon fork.

I could mind buying the base model since I like the idea of simplicity with the mechanical disc brakes. Besides, if I was biking in the winter I'd prefer that solution anyway. But if the second model had Alivio, I could still live with hydraulic brakes. If I bought the 2nd model and changed the rear derailleurs and shifters to Alivio, added some fenders and front and rear racks though that would make a pretty sweet tourer.

What are your thoughts? I mean with the price you pay for the 1st model do you think they should simply switch to all Acera and raise the price? I mean even if Acera would be 9 speed as well as the Alivio model at least you wouldn't feel like you're getting screwed just because you wanted to buy a Trek. (I'm actually considering one even if it doesn't have 2.4" tires. Although on the 1st model I'd feel compelled to change to Altus shifters for 8 speed compatibility and Acera 8 speed rear derailleur).
Old 02-10-23, 01:26 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
OK, no one is perking up and discussing about the new Treks or replying to the OP. So I'm chiming in here! Actually when I came back onto the forums (today ), rather surprised that no one has yet talked about the change to the Trek DS's yet.

Well hybridbkrdr, this is only my opinion...so don't take offense or anything as fact on what I say, it's discussion only.

Looks like both the U.S. and Canadian versions of the DS Gen 5 are same, just the difference in amounts due to our currency differences.

I happen to really like the DS 1 Mercury color. At close up, the color seems rather rich looking and not just some cheaply painted bike. This is really the only thing I like about the DS 1 over the 2.

For only $100 U.S. dollars, or $150 Canadian more, the DS 2 has a number of things on it that I feel worth the bit more money.

Lighter alum fork, although, steel is supposed to handle vibration better, the DS 1 is not listing it as chromoly steel, guessing Hi ten steel? One of several reasons the DS1 is a heavier bike.

The seat post, handlebars, stem are alum on the DS 2 while steel on the DS 1. The DS 1 stem has 2 bolts holding onto the handlebar, where as the DS2 has a stronger 4 bolts to hold onto the handlebar. Take away is possible less creaking, possibly stronger depending how a rider pulls on the handlebars.

I've ridden in the past bikes that had the touring version of the 9 speed Altus/Acera and Alivio derailleur. I really couldn't tell the difference between them. The Alivio M4000 series is made to be a bit more tucked in but still shifts similar. The difference I had seen was after installing the M4000 9 speed shifter. It was a more satisfying click or shift than the lesser expensive ones had. I would prefer these over the 8 speed version of the Altus/Tourney combo for a bit smoother shifting.

I will just let it out there, I much prefer hydraulic brakes. Is it needed on a hybrid, not really, I've gotten used to them, know how to service and feel they make the bike that much more substantial. Heck, some bikes with cable, may need to make sure the brake housing is compression less for decent performance. Why worry about it and just spend a bit more for hydraulic. Although, this would be more difficult argument if Trek had the Tektro MD550's instead of the 310's this bike has. The 550's like the TRP version is a good cable brake.

All in all, I believe the DS 1 is over priced for what consumers get. The next level up seems to be a better bang for the buck.

all just an opinion

Last edited by travbikeman; 02-10-23 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-10-23, 02:11 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 220 Posts
travbikeman nice summary and I agree

I see the Gen 4 bikes (suspension forks) and Gen 5 bikes (standard forks) both listed. I'd go Gen 5 and find the DS2 to be a nice compromise in the line - the sweet spot of price/value. I'm one that will always pay more upfront for better components and have no regrets with that choice. Alivio is a nice group (on my wife's Verve 3) and I'm a fan of hydraulic discs (YMMV).
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 02-10-23, 08:11 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Do you have any comments on the 46/30 crankset?
Old 02-10-23, 10:12 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
The 46/30 in tandem with the 11-36 will give you massive range, so that is great option if you have hills. I personally would go with the rigid fork, as a shock just adds weight and if you are riding on the road, and the fork does not have a lock out, that is such a energy drain on the road. I had that on an old hybrid I used to have and it just sucked the energy out of me, so I ditched it for a rigid and it make a massive improvement. You can pick up a carbon handle bar fairly cheaply to offset some of the harshness the alloy fork might deliver , I found that a major improvement in ride quality after I change the fork out. While I have had mechanical disc.... I hated them. I much prefer the hydraulic, but you can find the TRP HY\RD mechanical\Hydraulic combos to get the best of both worlds.

However, if you are looking at the rigid fork, have you considered the FX series?

Last edited by jaxgtr; 02-10-23 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-11-23, 06:04 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Wow -- it looks like they're making the DS into something like the old Giant Toughroad. Very interesting!

Re: a double crankset, I don't really care for them personally. I'd much rather have a 3x, or even a 1x, over a double. The large gap between ranges will really impact your pedaling cadence, and I don't think a 30-46 is a terrific combination to begin with, especially for something like a DS. A 30 may not be low enough for some situations and the 46 will be useful only for the fastest of roads. My favorite drivetrain is a 22-32-42 (or close), especially for gravel/touring type riding that these bikes are designed for. The 32 (middle ring) is a good range for most riding. You can usually traverse the whole cassette without having to shift the front at all. If you need a bail-out range, you have the 22 (small ring). If you have a need for faster speeds, you have the 42 (large ring). At top speed, 42/11, is over 100 gear inches, which is plenty fast for a gravel-type hybrid like this.

If you really need the speed of a 46/11, like you get with the DS here, I think an FX would be a better choice.
Old 02-11-23, 06:11 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I'd need to ride them for sure, but the DS1 interests me, with its steel fork vs. the aluminum fork on the DS2 and above. It should offer better ride compliance. I'd consider that model and then upgrading to hydraulic brakes.

I don't like how the fork appears to be matte black on all frame colors. I think that's a limitation of suspension forks -- they don't look well integrated into the bike. Trek paints its Verve forks the frame color and I think it should do the same with its DS forks.
Old 02-11-23, 11:28 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Yeah, the blue/black combo looks a bit odd. They could also have more vibrant colors like orange or yellow.
Old 03-20-23, 07:24 AM
Photokid1970

Bikes: 2015 Trek DS 8.3, Trek Pilot 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I have a 2015 DS, and it has the shocks on it. They usually stay on lockout, but I am glad that I have the option. When I got the bike, I told the guys at the LBS that I had no idea what I wanted. The more that I ride and learn, the more that I'm glad I got the DS! I ride streets with the kids, and usually gravel or trail on my own. Need to go back to the LBS to see the new ones, but so far my 2015 is holding up fine. Even though I'm not purchasing any time soon, I think I would go with Gen 4 based on the suspension feature.
Likes For Photokid1970: