Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Old 11-29-18, 12:17 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Winter has arrived earlier than expected and the fenders I ordered are taking longer than expected to ship so I temporarily fit a spare set of fenders from an old Dutch bike in the shed. They’re too big, not the right color, and steel, they’re heavy, and every tiny pebble the tires grab pings when it comes off inside the fenders - but they’re really long and really effective. The snow/ice/salt/sand/mud of the last two days would have made a mess without them so I’m glad I put them on.

It has also made me realize a need for studded tires way sooner than I anticipated, so I’m sort of having to scramble now to get some ordered. The Black Friday sales that made them kind of instantly affordable have expired and now will just have to wait another week to order them at full price but the weather is supposed to be clearing for a few days anyway. I had expected and planned to pay full price in another few weeks so was just disappointed when a sale came up and passed before I could act on it.

Replaced the front brake with a Tektro that uses threaded post pads which after adjustment works much better than the stock unit. All the cables/housings arrived, just waiting on stem and bar ends to tackle the cockpit update, maybe this weekend.

Bike is running great, the engine is tired though. I sort of have a lot of work to do, considering starting a build thread and updating “finished” bike here.
Old 11-29-18, 12:09 PM
efleigh89

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
Winter has arrived earlier than expected and the fenders I ordered are taking longer than expected to ship so I temporarily fit a spare set of fenders from an old Dutch bike in the shed. They’re too big, not the right color, and steel, they’re heavy, and every tiny pebble the tires grab pings when it comes off inside the fenders - but they’re really long and really effective. The snow/ice/salt/sand/mud of the last two days would have made a mess without them so I’m glad I put them on.

It has also made me realize a need for studded tires way sooner than I anticipated, so I’m sort of having to scramble now to get some ordered. The Black Friday sales that made them kind of instantly affordable have expired and now will just have to wait another week to order them at full price but the weather is supposed to be clearing for a few days anyway. I had expected and planned to pay full price in another few weeks so was just disappointed when a sale came up and passed before I could act on it.

Replaced the front brake with a Tektro that uses threaded post pads which after adjustment works much better than the stock unit. All the cables/housings arrived, just waiting on stem and bar ends to tackle the cockpit update, maybe this weekend.

Bike is running great, the engine is tired though. I sort of have a lot of work to do, considering starting a build thread and updating “finished” bike here.
id be interested in seeing a build thread for a trek multitrack.
Old 11-30-18, 04:14 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Last pics before the facelift, hopefully will have time this weekend. Sorry if blurry, it may have been condensation on the lens.

Old 12-02-18, 03:18 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

I got the drop bars on and shifters and stuff. I’m not pleased with the cabling yet so I haven’t installed the new bar tape yet,
this natural cork stuff is recycled from another bike.
The combination of the stem I bought and the new brake levers put the reach about an inch longer than I anticipated so I ended up using the stock stem. I think it looks kind of goofy but it’s pretty comfortable so far, although I’ve only ridden it around the neighborhood a few times. I’ll get to try it out on the road tomorrow.
I don’t think I’ll have time for a build thread, at least not anything worth reading.
Fenders should arrive tomorrow.

Last edited by Phamilton; 12-02-18 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-02-18, 03:28 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

It’s kind of a long bike. I’m surprised to see other people’s 23” frames with saddles lower and longer stems. I’m 6’0 even and already a little long in the torso. I’m not very flexible, though.
Old 12-03-18, 05:22 PM
Maverick 13330

Bikes: 2005 GIANT STP2, 2015 ROAM3, 1993 Trek 7900 Multitrack, Critical Single Speed

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://ibb.co/QP027hM

This bike accomplished more than my Diverge.
Land Run, Gravel world and DK Lite. Bought a nice Bianchi advantage, I'll strip its drop bar this winter.

Last edited by Maverick 13330; 12-07-18 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 10:34 AM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
Attention fender users! I have a 1992 Trek 730 and I'm running 38mm tires, any fender recommendations based on your personal experience? $50-$70 seems like the range I'd like to stay within. Here's the "Wellstone" after the recent incident that inspired me to purchase better tires and fenders. I slipped so violently that the right pedal was knocked off & the thread on the crank was so stripped that I couldn't put it back on. So I hobby horsed it to a nearby café, got a cup of coffee, and made the call of shame to my wife.
Old 12-04-18, 12:27 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by Mogens
Attention fender users! I have a 1992 Trek 730 and I'm running 38mm tires, any fender recommendations based on your personal experience? $50-$70 seems like the range I'd like to stay within. Here's the "Wellstone" after the recent incident that inspired me to purchase better tires and fenders. I slipped so violently that the right pedal was knocked off & the thread on the crank was so stripped that I couldn't put it back on. So I hobby horsed it to a nearby café, got a cup of coffee, and made the call of shame to my wife.
I mounted 45mm SKS Bluemels matte to my mid-90s 700 last night. I paid $37 shipped but it was an exceptionally good price. I think they can be had for around $40-45 usually. Nice long mudflaps a la Longboards without the extra cost, but they are a little shorter. Word of caution, I could not get a 38mm tire to fit under the fenders, it was too tight at the chainstay. If not for chainstay bridge, would probably take a 38 or even a 40 under fenders. Tires were nominally 38, measured exactly 38mm wide and 34mm tall mounted. I have 35s on it now with sufficient clearance but it's still snug at the chainstay bridge, like couldn't use anything thicker than a zip tie to secure the fender to it. I believe your model will have similar chainstay length, but you can check it out.
Edit: after looking at your photo again, maybe there isn't a chainstay bridge? Maybe it's just out of view behind the chainrings.
Edit 2: If keeping road grit off your front derailer and chainrings isn't as important, you could pretty easily cut the fender off a little above the chainstay/bridge and secure the front edge to the seat tube above the FD with a reflector bracket or something similar, if you don't mind tinkering.

Last edited by Phamilton; 12-04-18 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-05-18, 05:40 PM
efleigh89

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It’s kind of a long bike. I’m surprised to see other people’s 23” frames with saddles lower and longer stems. I’m 6’0 even and already a little long in the torso. I’m not very flexible, though.
very cool build so far. have you considered trying something like the modern dirt drop type bars? i think some of the models are designed to be used on bikes with a long top tube/
Old 12-05-18, 10:40 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by efleigh89
very cool build so far. have you considered trying something like the modern dirt drop type bars? i think some of the models are designed to be used on bikes with a long top tube/
I hadn’t considered it yet, no. The reach to the hoods is about 1” closer and 2” higher than what I had been riding for the last year. But I’ve never tried one of those bars. I’ll be thinking about it for sure!
Old 12-07-18, 03:03 PM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
It's weird, I'm seeing conflicting reports on whether the 45mm SKS fenders will work with 38mm tires, I guess there are too many unknowns. I guess I'll just try to order some with a generous returns policy!
Old 12-07-18, 03:18 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by Mogens
It's weird, I'm seeing conflicting reports on whether the 45mm SKS fenders will work with 38mm tires, I guess there are too many unknowns. I guess I'll just try to order some with a generous returns policy!
The packaging from my fenders says they're compatible up to 38mm. They're flexible, so letting out the stays a little will give a wider diameter, more than enough for a 38mm tire. Coverage over the sides of a 38mm tire won't be as good as with a wider fender, but acceptable for me. I wouldn't put a 42mm fender over a 38mm tire. I think you could squeeze a 50-52mm fender in the frame and fork. Just check how much room you have in front of the rear 38mm tire of your choice. It might get pretty tight.

Here's some closeups of my install if it helps: https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...l#post20690952
Old 12-09-18, 01:48 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

As finished as I’ve ever had a commuter bike and as finished as this one will prob get. Last pic, sorry if I have hijacked the thread. I’m really enthusiastic about this bike.
Installed 100mm 25deg stem, replaced brake housings, shortened shifter housings, new bar wrap, fine-tuned brakes and shifting. Compared to the road bikes I’d been commuting on, it’s so easy to ride it’s almost a joke. It’s heavy and smooth and comfortable, like a fast couch. Great bikes, great thread.
Old 01-21-19, 10:08 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
You guys are giving me a feel; a feel for steel! Quick question; is there a difference in the frame between the different models, or is it in the components?
Old 01-21-19, 10:48 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Quick question; is there a difference in the frame between the different models, or is it in the components?
Yes, the higher the number in the 7xx series the better the frame and components. The 750 and 790 are at the top, 790 is better when comparing the lugged frame years due to it having a cassette.

A 90-93? 520 had the best frame (same as multitrack) and components, but came with a drop bar vs flat.
Old 01-21-19, 12:39 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmccoppin
What seatpost is that? I think I want one

Think my Trek 820 Antelope will fall close enough to be included, if I do a few mods ...
Old 01-21-19, 11:42 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Thanks, @katsup. As it turns out, I went and bought an old Giant steel mtb. as there are no Multitracks around. It needs a bit of work (read "more than it's actually worth"), but it rides nice and it'll be a good learning experience.

Really, around here CL mostly offers $$$$ road and mtb, rusted junk, and big box BSOs.

Last edited by Korina; 01-21-19 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-22-19, 07:49 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
Yes, the higher the number in the 7xx series the better the frame and components. The 750 and 790 are at the top, 790 is better when comparing the lugged frame years due to it having a cassette.

A 90-93? 520 had the best frame (same as multitrack) and components, but came with a drop bar vs flat.
Back when I was looking at MultiTracks to buy, I put together a little matrix on the various frame materials from the Trek catalogs on vintagetrek.com. Link here.

Definitions for some of the shorthand:

CM = Chrome Molybdenum
HT = High Tensile
DB = Double Butted
TIG = Tig Welded (vs. lugged)
TT = True Temper (brand of steel)

In some years, the 730 and 750 appear to use identical frames, and in others, they're different. Sometimes the 720 is a frame upgrade over the 700, and sometimes it's not. As the information is from their sales catalogs or technical manuals, accuracy is only as good as those. The literature was often times not exactly clear on what models used what materials, or if one was an upgrade over another. But for what it's worth...
Old 01-23-19, 01:27 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, @katsup. As it turns out, I went and bought an old Giant steel mtb. as there are no Multitracks around. It needs a bit of work (read "more than it's actually worth"), but it rides nice and it'll be a good learning experience.

Really, around here CL mostly offers $$$$ road and mtb, rusted junk, and big box BSOs.
Same here. But I have gotten some good deals off CL in the way of bikes. I just look a couple of times a week. Eventually I see something I want to pursue
Old 01-23-19, 02:01 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
I’m 5’11-1/2” and I suspect I’ll run into the same thing when I finish this MultiTrack road conversion.

I noticed the long top tube too. I set it up temporarily with this 13cm Salsa stem but it is quite apparent that I will be way too stretched out....

I’m loving the Salsa “Shaft” 26.8 polished silver seatpost I found. When I fit a shorter stem I plan to coordinate the colors and find a nice (front loading) silver anodized quill stem that doesn’t look too dorky.
Old 01-24-19, 05:45 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by BrocLuno
What seatpost is that? I think I want one

Think my Trek 820 Antelope will fall close enough to be included, if I do a few mods ...
Looks like a late 90's Titec Hellbent. Off the top of my head: downhill specific, tons of offset, some suspension bikes with short top tubes ran these (some were custom with more offset) to compensate
Old 01-24-19, 07:48 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I’m loving the Salsa “Shaft” 26.8 polished silver seatpost I found. When I fit a shorter stem I plan to coordinate the colors and find a nice (front loading) silver anodized quill stem that doesn’t look too dorky.
The stock stem from my '97 750 is very nice, and I think you'd like it if you could find one on eBay. It's anodized silver with a front cap. I don't have a very good picture of it, but you can see most of it in the picture below. It's a 22.2mm quill stem with a recessed top bolt...very classy in my opinion.

Having said that...I guess if you converted to drops, you'd need one with a 26.0mm clamp...or does your bar have a 25.4mm clamp size? The stock stem would have a 25.4mm clamp size...so it may or may not work.

IMG_20171105_142548980 by jnjadcock, on Flickr
Old 01-24-19, 10:12 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

@masi61, where did you find that stand? It's interesting.
Old 01-24-19, 10:42 AM
BrocLuno

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The rear triangle stand should be available at almost any LBS
Old 01-24-19, 12:33 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
@masi61, where did you find that stand? It's interesting.
\

i actually found the stand out at the curb as trash. I remember these stands from back in the 1970’s. They were sold through an ad in the back of bicycling magazine and it was either Steve’s Cycle Center on Salem Avenue in Dayton or International Pro Bike Shop in the back of Kettering Bike Shop that distributed them. There were 2 models - a basic model with a rubber coated hook that clamped the down tube over a cradle and the “deluxe” one you see here that clamped with a foot pedal that clamps or releases pressure on the hook when you step on the foot pedal. I think these used to sell for between 60 and 90$ BITD.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.