Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving and the musings of a self-indulgent but grateful cyclist

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-26-20, 09:39 AM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts

Not I; just feeling that way.

Happy Thanksgiving all. I'm thinking that cycling has saved your year or made it better than it would otherwise be. It factors so large in my life that it is hard to contain. This has been a +5000 mile year beginning in February when I started training for Eroica California. I'd hardly ridden in 20 years but I found love on the saddle once again! I'll be 70 on my next birthday and am winding down a good career. I've used the extra time to ride and I have dropped nearly 40lbs (from an moderately (being kind) overweight 185), and am riding as well as I ever have. I love hills, flats, riding a wheel or pulling. I like cleaning my bike, tuning it....such marvelous machines (I remember a college friend remarking about the bicycle being the best machine, so efficiently powered for the movement provided). Can it really be that cycling brings such happiness?

No, I've not dropped or toked or uncorked the Thanksgiving wine and there are people who, and life's blessings that, fall higher on the list. Especially now. But, this is a cycling forum so viva la bicycle and the ability to pedal on.

Best to you and yours. Stay safe!
Old 11-26-20, 10:51 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
jleeg My job of 28 years runs out next week. For the last month I have been helping dismantle the business and equipment, my office, my home away from home and my commuting destination for nearly 30 years. Despite all the sadness and uncertainty I face, I can experience normalcy, familiarity and joy by simple saddling up and riding. Well, biking and my amazing wife and family.

I am most thankful for my family, but cycling comes in a close 2nd, with the physical and mental health it affords.

Yes, "cycling brings such happiness"!

"Viva la bicycle and the ability to pedal on" to you and everyone this holiday season and throughout the year.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-30-20, 03:49 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 420 Posts
So good to hear. I used to race a little, rode a lot thru high school and college, then for some reason, hung the bike, a 1964 Legnano Roma, on the garage wall. After 30ish years, I got it down in 2000 at the age of 50, and never looked back. I'm 71 now, and enjoying it more than ever. Solitary rides, club group rides, mass start charity rides, even Eroica, life is good. Had a few heart issues, and, with medication, enjoying bike miles again. My wife has health issues, which keeps us closer to home, but the bike is still my escape capsule, and time machine. I'm enjoying it in my 70s, like I did when I was 17. Lots of my bike friends are going electric, but so far, I'm enjoying being the 71 year old motor. Keep on riding, keep on smiling.😊

Last edited by Slightspeed; 11-30-20 at 04:52 PM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 12-01-20, 09:59 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Yes, very grateful for all I have. Cycling is my looming retirement plan.

Wish I could have ridden 5000 miles this year but an arthritic hip took me out of the game for most of this year. Bad thing is I didn't know it was a bad hip, thought I was having muscle issues so spent the majority of the year trying to work my way around the issue.

For awhile there I got super depressed thinking I was no longer capable of long rides anymore. Started to lose my will to live to be honest. Thank God it is something relatively fixable. I am getting the hip replaced next week and will hopefully be back in the saddle again riding full speed by Spring.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 12-01-20, 10:28 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
I believe life exists, in part, for our enjoyment.
Worth getting fit (a bit)
While enjoying.

Roll On!

Last edited by Wildwood; 12-01-20 at 10:32 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 12-01-20, 11:15 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
It is true that we as members of this forum we have squabbles and personal disagreements but the one thing we can all agree on is we cannot get enough bicycle riding. We all wish we did, were or could do more. All kinds of different opinions and dreams but if we could all get together for one big group ride it would be epic!
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 12-01-20, 01:59 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
All kinds of different opinions and dreams but if we could all get together for one big group ride it would be epic!
Shoot, we would end up on an episode of Cops.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 12-01-20, 03:59 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
It is true that we as members of this forum we have squabbles and personal disagreements but the one thing we can all agree on is we cannot get enough bicycle riding. We all wish we did, were or could do more. All kinds of different opinions and dreams but if we could all get together for one big group ride it would be epic!
I get the sentiment, but...
From your words it would sound like an Epic Squabble?

Take a squabble to Politics and Religion.
Or take a hike.
YMMV
Old 12-02-20, 11:19 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by jleeg

Not I; just feeling that way.

Happy Thanksgiving all. I'm thinking that cycling has saved your year or made it better than it would otherwise be. It factors so large in my life that it is hard to contain. This has been a +5000 mile year beginning in February when I started training for Eroica California. I'd hardly ridden in 20 years but I found love on the saddle once again! I'll be 70 on my next birthday and am winding down a good career. I've used the extra time to ride and I have dropped nearly 40lbs (from an moderately (being kind) overweight 185), and am riding as well as I ever have. I love hills, flats, riding a wheel or pulling. I like cleaning my bike, tuning it....such marvelous machines (I remember a college friend remarking about the bicycle being the best machine, so efficiently powered for the movement provided). Can it really be that cycling brings such happiness?

No, I've not dropped or toked or uncorked the Thanksgiving wine and there are people who, and life's blessings that, fall higher on the list. Especially now. But, this is a cycling forum so viva la bicycle and the ability to pedal on.

Best to you and yours. Stay safe!

I love posts like this. They tap into the spirit and substance of a cyclist. To me the bicycle is a vehicle that delivers me to my spiritual center, a place of peace and of harmony. In this especially crazy year it has given me a means of escaping the madness. I was chatting with a guy I met at the dog park yesterday. We talked about some of this. In our youth the bicycle represented freedom. Each time we saddle up, we reconnect with our youth and we feel free.

Thanks again for a great post.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 12-02-20, 03:35 PM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
¡Viva la bici! I remember the boyhood summer day I figured out I could balance on a bike. Wow, what a revelation! I rode up and down the street infatuated with the wind and speed and couldn’t get enough. The years have flown past just as swiftly, and the infatuation has evolved into romance. I worked at a bike shop during my college years when mountain bikes began to appear, and have tried every kind of cycling.

I just celebrated my 61st solar lap and look forward to many more!

Last edited by reconnaissance; 12-02-20 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Clarity
Likes For reconnaissance:
Old 12-04-20, 08:11 PM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
“Solar lap.” I like that.