Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Replacing isozone handlebar

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-22, 01:43 PM
BobA

Bikes: 1990 Giant Rincon, 2022 Trek FX 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2022 Trek FX 3 disc with the isozone grips and after a summer with it, I think either my hands/nerves have gotten significantly worse even with the isozone, or I need more variation. My hands are going numb at least twice as fast as they used to, riding the same routes/roads.

So, I'm going to try variation as I'm not sure that my hands/nerves have gotten significantly worse in one year.

On my prior flatbar hybrid, I added Ergon 2s and I really liked them. I added them 7-10 years ago and I believe they helped significantly at that time. I want to try with Ergon 2 or 3s.

T
he Trek FX 3 disc comes with 660mm wide bars and I am comfortable with that width. What I don't seem to find is options of 660mm wide bars. Most are 800mm. MoBi has 10 of 660mm width and the ones not in cruiser style are carbon. I don't want to spend at the level of carbon. MoBi has 374 at 800mm. Is the idea to just cut them (if metal) to the desired width, or do I just have to have to go to 800mm wide bars?

If it is to just cut, do I use a pipe cutter or a hacksaw?

Thanks.
Old 11-08-22, 02:18 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Pipe cutter. Be sure to measure twice and cut once. You might want to take it down in stages. Personally I like the Ergon GP3s and have them on all my flat bar bikes.
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 11-08-22, 02:23 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 241 Posts
I'm another fan of Ergon GP series and used the GP4 on my Quick1.

My biking friends would ask this question: Are you holding tight on the grips? Have you considered turning the grips so the heal of your palm sits differently on the grip itself?
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 11-08-22, 04:03 PM
BobA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks each of you.

I've tried various adjustments of the isozone grips earlier in the season. I can't say that they were the appropriate positions from when it was adjusted at time of purchase from the LBS.
Old 11-09-22, 12:26 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
new grips and/or new handlebar and/or new stem might reduce or eliminate the problem

'cushier' grips ? ... ergo-shaped ?

riser bar ? (if current bar is flat) ... more swept back ?

shorter or longer stem ? ... 'taller' stem ?
Old 11-09-22, 09:18 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
are you sure you might not be too much pressure on your hands. You might need to get a longer stem. I had a situation where the bars were too close and once I got a longer stem, that eliminated the hand buzzing. Might check that before you have to cut a set of bars up.

Old 11-11-22, 04:22 PM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,303 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by BobA
Thanks each of you.

I've tried various adjustments of the isozone grips earlier in the season. I can't say that they were the appropriate positions from when it was adjusted at time of purchase from the LBS.
The grips on my FX4 Sport were nowhere near correct when I bought the bike, and the shop never asked about it. I just realized there were two set screws I could loosen to adjust the grips. They are much better now, I rotated them so the heel of my hand rests on the flat part of the grip.

Mark
Old 11-11-22, 05:52 PM
BobA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
new grips and/or new handlebar and/or new stem might reduce or eliminate the problem

'cushier' grips ? ... ergo-shaped ?

riser bar ? (if current bar is flat) ... more swept back ?

shorter or longer stem ? ... 'taller' stem ?
Thanks, I did move my shockstop stem from my 1990 to the fx. On the 1990, I feel that the shockstop stem was an immense help, and it was moved to the fx immediately upon possession.

I have a $20 fx2 spare parts flatbar (same dimensionally as the isozone fx3 the shop says). I hope all works out once I put ergon gp3 grips on

thanks all