Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Going tubeless on 2021 FX Sport 6

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 11-16-22, 10:40 AM
Buzzzz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Last edited by Buzzzz; 12-08-22 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-17-22, 06:59 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzzz
My first post, howdy all! I'm not sure if your familiar with the specs on a 2021 Trek FX Sport 6, but they came with tubeless ready rims but the tires are not. I bought the bike 2nd hand and not directly from the owner so I can't ask questions. I took off the tires to check for leaks in the tubes, they didn't have any. I saw a thick looking cream color tape around the rims. So my question is, to convert them to tubeless would I need to buy and change that tape inside of the rims or is that what it is? Besides watching half a dozen vids on how to convert to tubeless, I don't know much, never owned one before this. I think I'm restricted to no photos until I have enough posts or I'd snap one of the rim tape inside of the Affinity rims (and they do have a tubeless ready sticker on them).
Welcome to BF. Is it tubeless tape or the bontrager rim tape? If they are the stock Aelous wheels, I would get the Bontrager rim strips, they are super simple to install and are designed for the wheels.

check the internal rim size, but stock shows 19.5 so you would just need to get these in white, road is white, Mtn are black, in the 19.5mm size.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...strip/p/31426/

I have several sets of the Aeolus wheelsets for various bikes and run them tubeless and found the rim strips are fantastic and I liked them much better than tape.

Old 11-18-22, 09:22 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzzz
My first post, howdy all! I'm not sure if your familiar with the specs on a 2021 Trek FX Sport 6, but they came with tubeless ready rims but the tires are not. I bought the bike 2nd hand and not directly from the owner so I can't ask questions. I took off the tires to check for leaks in the tubes, they didn't have any. I saw a thick looking cream color tape around the rims. So my question is, to convert them to tubeless would I need to buy and change that tape inside of the rims or is that what it is? Besides watching half a dozen vids on how to convert to tubeless, I don't know much, never owned one before this. I think I'm restricted to no photos until I have enough posts or I'd snap one of the rim tape inside of the Affinity rims (and they do have a tubeless ready sticker on them).
If the existing rim tape is firmly adhered to the rim, smooth (any wrinkle at the edge of the tape is bad news), and covers the entire width of the inside of the rim, then it might be ready for tubeless. Use your intuition and think "is this an air tight seal?"

You can watch some videos and try to mount tubeless tires yourself, or you can take it to the bike shop and have them do it. Ask if you can watch while the bike shop does it so you understand the process.
Old 11-18-22, 09:40 AM
Buzzzz

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Last edited by Buzzzz; 12-08-22 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-18-22, 09:51 AM
Buzzzz

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Old 11-18-22, 06:57 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,060 Posts
a couple of thoughts

for tires with good flat resistance (and fairly good rolling resistance) - also consider a tire in the Schwalbe line ... Schwalbe Marathon ... etc

consider going larger than 32mm tires in the future - better for compromised road conditions and provides ability to run less air pressure (with added comfort)

weight savings with a switch from tube to tubeless might be closer to 1/2 lb (than 1 pound) ... ??? ...

standard tubes in that size will weigh around 230-300 g (pair) - and with tubeless you will need to add your favorite sealant (and likely continue to add it)
Old 11-19-22, 10:15 AM
Buzzzz

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts