Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are you happy with current weight? Gain? Lose?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Are you happy with current weight? Gain? Lose?

Old 01-01-23, 03:58 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Need to drop 5 that I picked up since my mileage decreased 7 weeks ago. Decreasing mileage during the holidays does it every year.
Old 01-04-23, 06:02 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,910 Posts
At 184 cm tall I've been hovering around 80 kg for several years. I've got as low as 75 kg training for specific mountainous events and can drift as high as 85 kg in the winter if I eat whatever I feel like. Right now I'm around 82 kg and will aim to trim back to sub 80 kg by Spring.
Old 01-04-23, 06:43 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 429 Posts
I'm on my second day of 15 hours per day without eating. It might be considered intermittent fasting, I'm not sure. I did this ten years ago for approx 1-1/2 years. The results were nice. I'm not sure why I got away from it. I am going to attempt not eating between 8 PM and 11 AM. Coffee (one cup) and water only. Depending on how much I work out on weekends or if I'm racing, I will make exceptions. My goal is to lose a modest 5-8 lbs, bringing me down to 162-ish at 5'-10".
Old 01-04-23, 02:03 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
I'm 54 y.o. and 5'10" and I've crept up to 174 lbs. within the last couple of days. My ideal is 165, but rain and the holidays have kept me off the bike for a couple weeks now. I'm usually putting in appx. 120 miles a week and that's dropped to almost nil and I can see the results accumulating around my midsection. I feel pretty confident that this will self-regulate once I'm back on my routine, but it's interesting to see/feel the results of such a dynamic change in exercise.
Old 01-05-23, 09:22 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
Gain, lose, happy with weight?
"Happy" seems disingenuous; I think "Indifferent" might be more appropriate for my state of mind.

Note, we don't own a bathroom scale at home, so the only data I get is from my annual physicals.
When I first transitioned from Casual Utility Cyclist to Obsessed Recreational Cyclist 17 years ago I lost 20lbs within the first three months...but then my weight has stayed there +/- ~5lbs ever since.
At my most recent physical I weighed the lowest I've ever been in recent memory...which was significantly lower than my weight at the previous year's physical. I asked my doctor if I should be concerned by this weight loss and, after confirming there were no other issues or red flags, he said "Just consider yourself lucky."
:::shrugs:::
So I guess I'm almost "happy" ...happily indifferent, yeah.
Old 01-05-23, 12:51 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Note, we don't own a bathroom scale at home, so the only data I get is from my annual physicals.
"Just consider yourself lucky."
People who can afford to be indifferent about their weight, or don't have to actively manage their weight, are fortunate.

The second most fortunate are those of us who do have to watch it closely but manage to keep it in check.
I would be 50 pounds overweight if I let myself go.
I weigh myself three times a day - the self-help people who say only to do it once a week are not my kind of people.
I have fat calipers and body fat charts too - those don't get used as much but they do give useful data.
I think about my weight every day, and my weight goals and my weight trends.
I like data. I know what my daily fluctuations are, I know weekly averages and extremes. I can compare today's weight with the same calendar day for the last 5 years. I see how long it takes for all those Christmas goodies to show up, and how long it takes to return to normal. I know how long I need to concentrate on losing weight so I can hit the number I want on my next physical. I also can look back and see when I was losing the battle and get re-motivated by looking at the charts that followed my progress when I took control.

My doctor just says "weight looks fine". I guess wanting her to cheer for me was kind of unrealistic, but it's a lot better than "tsk tsk metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetes, and clogged arteries".
Old 01-05-23, 05:37 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
People who can afford to be indifferent about their weight, or don't have to actively manage their weight, are fortunate.

The second most fortunate are those of us who do have to watch it closely but manage to keep it in check.
I would be 50 pounds overweight if I let myself go.
I weigh myself three times a day - the self-help people who say only to do it once a week are not my kind of people.
I have fat calipers and body fat charts too - those don't get used as much but they do give useful data.
I think about my weight every day, and my weight goals and my weight trends.
I like data. I know what my daily fluctuations are, I know weekly averages and extremes. I can compare today's weight with the same calendar day for the last 5 years. I see how long it takes for all those Christmas goodies to show up, and how long it takes to return to normal. I know how long I need to concentrate on losing weight so I can hit the number I want on my next physical. I also can look back and see when I was losing the battle and get re-motivated by looking at the charts that followed my progress when I took control.

My doctor just says "weight looks fine". I guess wanting her to cheer for me was kind of unrealistic, but it's a lot better than "tsk tsk metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetes, and clogged arteries".
You do realize that most people would consider your behavior OCD. Right? But if it works for you, good on you.
Old 01-05-23, 06:56 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts
Diablo - I weigh every morning at same time. That way I can pick up any upward deviations before they get out of hand. This past year I have slowly lost weight - on purpose for a total loss of 10 pounds. I do not chart weight, just remember. I am happy with that. Much of minor daily weight change is related to amount of liquid in my body.
Old 01-05-23, 08:14 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 856 Times in 422 Posts
A few years before I got back into riding, I went from 245 to 195, mainly by fasting. One meal a day, and a lot of broth. I seldom weighed myself, but had a regular clinic appointment where they did, so I got my progress report monthly.

At around 215 now. New goal is 190.

Now, when do I start?
Old 01-06-23, 07:02 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I am not too focused on body weight. It has been steady over that past year. I am about 55# below my all time max, but well above my racing weight (that I don't expect to be again). I feel good and ride daily.
Old 01-06-23, 07:29 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
I put on about 20 pounds last year. My wife was in home hospice, so I didn't get to ride much (only 600 miles total for the year.) She passed last October, and I've managed to lose some of those pounds so far, partly due to more time on the bike (albeit indoors with Zwift) and partly due to the fact that I have to cook for myself now - and I'm not a particularly good cook. I'm hoping to get back to my 'original' weight (180 @ 5' 10") and eventually get to 175 or less.
Old 01-06-23, 12:21 PM
drz400

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Skinny fat

Still pedaling after all theese years. What I now notice is called skinny fat. Dang inner tube of belly fat, ugh. So putting more miles on my trainer but alas I am cross training with body weight exercise to help out and it's slowly working. No one ever said getting old is easy
Old 01-06-23, 12:44 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
In pseudo-scientific terms, I'm an ectomorpoh. I've put on 5-6 lbs since the end of the season in October.

That's likely a good thing, since my October BMI had dropped to 18.4, in the "unhealthy" range. This lose-gain cycle is an annual thing.

But unlike every prior year, when I would sit around and watch my waist expand, I've been doing some whole-body strength workouts, and I'm guessing that the added weight is mainly muscle. My waist measurement actually went down about 1/2 inch, and there's nothing to pinch except some skin. BMI 19.2.

My wife says I'm becoming V-shaped, in contrast to my typical I-shape (AKA "bean pole"). She likes it, so...

I'm hoping that the strength training will give me a boost on the bike, to overcome the added weight.

Old 01-08-23, 07:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I'm 5'11" and my optimal weight in top physical condition would be 145 lbs, same as when I boxed amateur in my late teens and early 20s. I grew from a string bean 132 lb lightweight to full welterweight, but when I bulked up to 155 for some light middleweight bouts I looked "fat." My body didn't change much with age so my natural weight remained around 155 for years. My dad was the same way and never became overweight, even after age and illness forced him to give up tennis and golf.

After a 2001 car wreck busted up my back and neck I was physically inactive for years, walked with a cane until 2014, and ballooned to 205 lbs. That was huge for me. My frame just can't carry that kind of weight naturally and it showed. That mostly came from junk food and beer.

After resuming cycling in 2015 and reaching peak fitness again by 2017, my weight hovered between 145-150. I looked and felt great. I still had -- and have -- a bit of a tummy pudge of loose skin from having weighed so much between 2001-2014. I like it. I don't have any visible scars despite some serious injuries, but the tummy pudge reminds me to never take for granted my diet and fitness.

After catching COVID in late 2021 my energy sagged, I developed annoying vertigo that lasted for almost a year, forcing me to quit cycling outdoors. I took up walking, then jogging, then running, as an alternative. Between less exercise and eating more junk food I gained up to 160 lbs. I'm still at 160, despite being more energized and active again. That's entirely due to a sweet tooth. And I found long distance cycling more efficient for burning fat than running. Even though I'm doing the same hours per week, month and year running, it's not as efficient as cycling, at least for me.

As long as I'm no heavier than 160, I'm satisfied with my weight. If I get serious about running as an alternative to cycling, and decide to enter more distance running events, I'll cut the junk food and sugar and drop back to 150. As long as my everyday weight is 160 without feeling like I'm sacrificing anything, it's a reasonable goal.

I know from previous experience, there's a difficult transition period in retraining the body to ignore cravings for sugar and carbs as fuel, and learn to burn fat reserves. After a few weeks the body adapts, the cravings subside, and it gets easier.

I think a key factor in weight control from diet and exercise is the "buzz" many of us get from exercise. Researchers are still trying to determine what specific brain and body chemicals produce that buzz -- over the years theories have varied from endorphins to dopamine, with a dash of serotonin and oxytocin thrown in. Whatever it is, it seems to hit the body's natural receptors identified as opioid and endocannabinoid receptors. I know my chronic pain from various injuries subside during a workout. But the pain relief is temporary and usually returns within a couple of hours after a workout. So, basically, some of us who crave that buzz from physical activities are junkies. If we don't get it from exercise, we'll go for makeshift stuff like comfort food, dope and booze, all of which are inferior substitutes.

It appears some humans never do get that buzz from exercise, so it's unrealistic to expect them to conform to our expectations.
Old 01-08-23, 08:47 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
I'm not happy or unhappy with my weight.

Forty years ago I was 5'-11" and 130 pounds. When I was in high school, I probably rode 50 to 70 miles a day and could eat a package of Oreos and wash it down with a 2 liter of Pepsi daily. Not optimal nutrition I know, but I was getting away with it. After I graduated from high school and got married, I quit riding and in less than ten years I was 200 pounds. I peaked about 10 years ago at about 240 pounds and then I started running doing two half marathons and a full marathon every year.

Now I'm 5'-10" and currently 180 pounds after the holidays. I lose weight fairly easily if I try and I will likely get back to 170-175 once the weather warms and my schedule allows me to ride and run consistently. I would like to be about 165 pounds, but my wife doesn't like that on me and nags me about it. I'm not a sexy beast at any stretch of the imagination, so if she says I don't look good, I guess I need to consider her opinion.

I straight up understand that my biggest weight and diet issue is I like pizza, steak and potatoes, bourbon and craft beer. I have gave up all soft drinks and the Oreos. But I still do not eat healthy by any standard and have a hard time saying no to doughnuts and other pastries.

Old 01-10-23, 12:14 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
No, I need to lose 20lbs easily, currently coming in at 5'11" and 195 lbs and feeling every pound when I ride up a hill ha ha. I dropped down to 185 once COVID was in full swing in 2020 but I figure some of that was muscle after not going to the gym every day and getting out on the bike a lot when the roads were empty.

Did not ride as much in 2022, been busy working from home still and eating and drinking stress relief so I'm struggling to get the weight off. I just hope things get better in retirement.
Old 01-10-23, 12:16 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
My doctor told me I need to get in shape. I told him round is a shape. Further I told him I was trying, I no longer buy cookies with sprinkles on them.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-10-23, 12:48 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 383 Posts
I rode/raced in my 20's at 205# - pretty solid at that time. Quit riding and ballooned up to 320# over the years, now at 51 I'm back down to 195. I've been stuck at 195 for a while now, better part of 6 months. I am fairly lean but could probably lose #10-15 from somewhere.

I am in the middle of a winter training cycle, not a good time to cut food intake.
Old 01-10-23, 05:13 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
I'm willing to be that pretty much nobody is happy with their weight. As for me, I'm heavier than I've ever been and would be happy with 25 pounds less than I have. COVID and a chronic illness have really made it difficult to take it off and keep it off.

Old 01-11-23, 12:54 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I need work
Old 01-11-23, 03:34 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I'm willing to be that pretty much nobody is happy with their weight.
I might be an exception. At 64 years, I weigh the same as I did in high school. 5'11", 135 lbs (± 3).

Some (many) over the years have said that's too thin. But that's the size my body wants to be, and it appears to be a healthy weight.

Old 01-11-23, 05:04 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I might be an exception. At 64 years, I weigh the same as I did in high school. 5'11", 135 lbs (± 3).

Some (many) over the years have said that's too thin. But that's the size my body wants to be, and it appears to be a healthy weight.
I hate you.

Old 01-12-23, 07:01 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts

I'm 66 and I think I would have been pretty fat if I hadn't been in endurance sports nearly all my life. Now, however, after stupidly eating too little and riding too much for a few years, I'm in the gym twice a week and pounding the protein and calories, trying to claw my way back to a baseline 150 lbs, which is about what I weighed in high school. I went down to the low 130s in college, but that would be very unhealthy for me. A week in the ICU or a few rounds of chemo would really take the pounds off and at this age I would never get them back.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-12-23, 04:23 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
My height and weight are both less than when I was in high school. I was kind of a chunky guy, and since then I've also had a couple compression fractures in vertebras.
Old 01-12-23, 08:48 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
In HS I was 5'10" and 145#. When I left the military I was 5'10" and 165#. Now I'm 5'8" and 150#. I'm good with the weight, but I sure would like to have them 2" back

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.