Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

From local elite runner to cyclist. How long until the pain goes away?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

From local elite runner to cyclist. How long until the pain goes away?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-13, 07:27 PM
hhnngg1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm nowhere near as fast a runner as you but am decent for an adult AGer (18:xx 5k, 3:10ish marathon).

Your cardio exceed your bike-legs. Running seems like it requires a ton of leg strength, but in reality it doesn not, especially for lighter guys. It requires a lot of leg TURNOVER, but doesn't require gobs of actual power.

Thus, when you get on a bike, where the power produced really matters, you can't keep up because your quads aren't trained up to making that sort of power. It takes time and training. On the bright side, it'll come very fast for you as a good runner - with the cardio there already and the mental ability to train harder than pretty much any raw cycling beginner, you'll be up in the front in no time.

I probably bumped my power (estimating in retrospect, but probably pretty closely) from an FTP (1 hr max effort) of around 180 watts to 240 watts in less than 6 months of vigorous riding, while easing off a lot on the running.

Also, check out TrainerRoad - it's really good for building FTP and power, especially shorter burst stuff.
Old 03-22-13, 11:16 PM
benajah
One legged rider

Bikes: Kuota Kharma, Surly LHT, CAAD9, Bianchi fg/ss

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
I'm nowhere near as fast a runner as you but am decent for an adult AGer (18:xx 5k, 3:10ish marathon).

Your cardio exceed your bike-legs. Running seems like it requires a ton of leg strength, but in reality it doesn not, especially for lighter guys. It requires a lot of leg TURNOVER, but doesn't require gobs of actual power.

Thus, when you get on a bike, where the power produced really matters, you can't keep up because your quads aren't trained up to making that sort of power. It takes time and training. On the bright side, it'll come very fast for you as a good runner - with the cardio there already and the mental ability to train harder than pretty much any raw cycling beginner, you'll be up in the front in no time.

I probably bumped my power (estimating in retrospect, but probably pretty closely) from an FTP (1 hr max effort) of around 180 watts to 240 watts in less than 6 months of vigorous riding, while easing off a lot on the running.

Also, check out TrainerRoad - it's really good for building FTP and power, especially shorter burst stuff.
Actually a really interesting post. Humans are built from the tips of our toes to the crowns of our heads for running. We are the most efficient animal on the planet at it, and as such, our bodies are incredibly efficient at putting the stresses where they will be felt the least, relatively. Running puts a lot of stress on your bones, where it belongs, but not much stress on your muscles.
cycling is the opposite, in so many ways. In terms of calories burned versus kilometer travelled, cycling is the most efficient form of travel mankind or nature has found, more effecient than a moped or electric car, but it stresses the muscles a lot more. Just go mountain biking and see yourself get passed by joggers on steep uphills. However, cycling puts huge stresses on your muscles, but very little on your bones.My guess...you just need to ride a bit less, run a bit more, transition a bit slower into cycling. Give the muscles time to catch up. from your mileage it sounds to me you went straight into doing a fairly big amount of miles real quick. Takes time to train the muscles.
Old 03-23-13, 12:12 AM
abstractform20

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by benajah
Actually a really interesting post. Humans are built from the tips of our toes to the crowns of our heads for running. We are the most efficient animal on the planet at it, and as such, our bodies are incredibly efficient at putting the stresses where they will be felt the least, relatively. Running puts a lot of stress on your bones, where it belongs, but not much stress on your muscles.
cycling is the opposite, in so many ways. In terms of calories burned versus kilometer travelled, cycling is the most efficient form of travel mankind or nature has found, more effecient than a moped or electric car, but it stresses the muscles a lot more. Just go mountain biking and see yourself get passed by joggers on steep uphills. However, cycling puts huge stresses on your muscles, but very little on your bones.My guess...you just need to ride a bit less, run a bit more, transition a bit slower into cycling. Give the muscles time to catch up. from your mileage it sounds to me you went straight into doing a fairly big amount of miles real quick. Takes time to train the muscles.
just to clarify, for long slow distance running.
Old 03-23-13, 01:16 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Suffer like the peloton dog you are you whiny jogger.