Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lesson Learned: 105 Brakes NOT compatible with Synapse

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lesson Learned: 105 Brakes NOT compatible with Synapse

Old 07-16-13, 01:45 PM
Shinjukan
Enthusiast

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Sportif One.0, 2011 Cannondale Synapse 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Lesson Learned: 105 Brakes NOT compatible with the Synapse

As the title says, I've learned through first-hand experience that upgrading the stock brakes of the Cannondale Synapse to a 'better' component such as the Shimano 105 BR-5600 or the BR-5700 is not a happy marriage. As it turned out, these 105s have a shorter reach than the optimal one required by the Synapse.

Background of my story: Decided to join the "Upgrade Bandwagon" by replacing the stock Cannondale C4 calipers with the Shimano 105s. What others have praised about these brakes are true: They are way better than the C4s in terms of brake handling, modulation and sheer stopping power. Just speculating, but maybe it's the material to which these different products were forged from. But that's the good part. When I installed these 105s I already noticed that the top 1mm portion of the brake pads were higher than the rim, but upon closer inspection, it's not touching the tire's sidewall. Or so I thought. This is the lowest setting the brake arms would allow the pads to go. Didn't give it much attention back then, and during my solo ride last Saturday (July 13th) I began noticing a distinct on-off scratching sound on my brakes, not a screeching/squeaking sound. This is during my fast descents in which I reach speeds of above 30mph. I thought then that maybe my wheels were not true that's why there's some rubbing going on. Being a lazy rider, I just checked the wheels' trueness when I got back home, but not the brakes. Then at the start of our weekly group ride yesterday, noticed to my horror that there were black tars at the top of the brake pads (more on the front than the rear). Looked at it closely, and there I saw that those 1mm portion of the pads have eaten slightly my tire's sidewall. This is when I was forced to admit the lesson that not adequately researching whether the part that's being considered to be put on the bike is a good fit or not.

As I've measured it the 105s have a reach of only 37mm-47mm whereas the Synapse needs 47mm-57mm of reach (as measured using the stock C4). The 39mm-49mm brakes would be just fine I think.

Just putting my experience out there for those who are thinking of doing the same thing to their Synapse. Someone posted that bikes that have relaxed geometry or classified as sport/endurance types require long-reach brakes. I know now that it's true at least for my Synapse, and too late for me when I read that.

Last edited by Shinjukan; 07-16-13 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-16-13, 02:01 PM
qqy
▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the tradeoff for having a bike that takes larger tires! I wish my 09 Synapse could take 28s for bigger. It's also a good example of where having a LBS do the work can save time and money.
Old 07-16-13, 02:53 PM
Shinjukan
Enthusiast

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Not only with bikes that take larger tires, but those that have provisions for fenders, such as the Trek Domane. The Synapse has fender eyelets on the fork and rear dropouts so had I known before that these bikes have different component requirements than the rest of the road bikes I would have gone a different route away from the 105.

Perhaps it's true that having the LBS do the work can save me time and money. But I like to tinker with my bike. By doing so, I become more in-tune as to how it behaves while I'm riding it and make adjustments to my liking right away.
Old 07-16-13, 02:57 PM
NRZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learned this as well trying to help a friend upgrade his Synapse. My friend from the LBS said Shimano R451 are the same brakes, longer reach, but don't say 105 on them. They are apparently cheaper as well.
Old 07-16-13, 03:02 PM
cvall91

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Side note, I have a Cannondale SS that came with the C4 brakes. I don't know if it's just me, but wow these brakes are god awful. I'm 180# so not THAT big and these brakes do not stop as much as I'd like. I ride only flat so it's not as big of an issue, but I'd like to get it fixed. There's been many times that I've been scared about running into someone while trying to stop and not skid the bike.
Old 07-16-13, 03:03 PM
Shinjukan
Enthusiast

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
You are spot-on, NRZ. The Shimano R451 is the top candidate that I've been seeing as a viable replacement to the 105s I have, now that I'm back in the market for a pair. And it's way cheaper too, I can buy a pair for the price of one 105. I hope my wife won't confront me once she sees that I'm collecting Shimano products.
Old 07-16-13, 05:54 PM
Shinjukan
Enthusiast

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Just want to share this too: Received a recommendation from a fellow cyclist that I can consider "offset brake pad holders" instead of buying a whole new brake set. It looks promising and besides I get to use my existing 105s!

But the downside I see is the price. As of this writing, the website says it's $29.99/pair (need 2 pairs for front and rear) + $7.50 S/H. The Shimano R451 can be had for roughly $30.00 with free S/H. So my dilemma is: do I really need the '105' label clearly marked on my brakes or just the anonymous 'Shimano' label? Darn this culture of "Brand Expression".