Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Did my longest ride - Queens to Nyack on 9W

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-14, 03:43 PM
Solidjake

Bikes: '14 Synapse Carbon 5 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I did this ride with my friend on Sunday and I must say it was great and crazy at the same time. For those that know the road you know how some of those hills are. But, this was indeed my longest ride, my second longest was going around Jamaica Bay twice totaling to 43 miles, this ride was 78 miles over 7 or so hours and being out of the house for 12 hours.

Bike Ride Profile | Suicide ride..... near New York | Times and Records | Strava

Started out from my place and biked to Forest Park to meet my friend (5 miles) and then made our way towards the 59th street bridge where we continued to the West Side Highway bike path which I've never been on. Headed up north to the GWB and made it to the entrance of the palisades. Hills weren't too bad until that last one before the police/courthouse at the top. My god it was tough for me and I had to stop twice to catch my breath.

Decided to continue to Nyack where my friend had her goal set to which was not a problem. The cars/traffic weren't too bad on a Sunday around 3pm which led to some good food and coffee on Main St. 45 miles was on the counter after reaching Nyack and now it was going back.

9W had two/three good inclines and the first was tough after biking for so long (the one that swoops to the right when you're going downhill going north). Finally made it back to the courthouse after feeling miserable and defeated where we took a break and spoke to some bikers. Headed back the same way through the woods to the GWB with some small slow downs on the hills.

What sucked is that heading south on the West Side the wind was going north against us slowing us down, creating more effort. By the time we got onto 54th street or so we had to take the train back to Queens since my friend had work early and it was 7 already. (Strava still counted it so that's why I said I did 78, not 88 as depicted). Decent train ride where I somehow got extra energy and biked home fast and strong most likely from knowing how close to home I was!!

Beautiful scenery, cool bikers that I spoke to, one of the most demanding things I did physically but WORTH it at the end. Will do it again for sure.

and yes new bar tape on the way!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4657.jpg (95.7 KB, 26 views)
IMG_4641.jpg (98.9 KB, 24 views)
IMG_4638.jpg (95.0 KB, 22 views)
IMG_4636.jpg (104.1 KB, 40 views)
IMG_4631.jpg (88.5 KB, 25 views)
IMG_4628.jpg (103.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-12-14, 03:59 PM
JBHoren
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Reminds me of the old joke:

Q: Tell me, Mr. Wagner, you spell your name mit a "V".
A: Nein, "W"!!
Old 07-12-14, 06:07 PM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like a great ride.
Old 07-12-14, 06:56 PM
qqy
▒▒▒▒▒▒

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just wait till you do Bear Mtn.
Old 07-13-14, 02:14 PM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qqy
+1
Old 07-13-14, 03:24 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by qqy
Originally Posted by FIVE ONE SIX
+1
+2

Drive to NJ, park car then bike from Ft. Lee to Bear Mtn. Many, MANY rides to Bear Mtn. when we lived in Bergen County and they were a the top of my list even when mechanicals caused delays or had unexpected rain.
Old 07-13-14, 06:48 PM
Solidjake

Bikes: '14 Synapse Carbon 5 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all, Bear Mtn is definitely on my list for this year!
Old 07-13-14, 06:58 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qqy
I worked at West Point from the mid to late '70's. One weekend I rode up to Bear Mountain, camped out over night and came back the next day. All I remember is some very long descents and turns, where I was keeping up with the cars. No helmet back then.
Old 07-13-14, 07:10 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11960 Post(s)
Liked 6,629 Times in 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by qqy
+3
Old 07-14-14, 01:32 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The climb to "Ranger Station," has a reputation...ha!

Get up to "The Knot," as well...Blauvelt St. Park... It's a bit more challenging than the climb up Henry Hudson Drive to Alpine..."You can tie "The Knot" many ways. To deserve the name "The Knot" a ride must come at the crossroads of Tweed Blvd and Clausland Mountain Rd from every direction. This route does not technically achieve this (who wants perfection?). However, it takes in the added climbs of Old Mountain/Christian Herald/Mountain View and Schuyler Rd. Plenty of climbing here."

Henry Hudson Park is a good place to do hill repeats, nice canopy to keep you sort of cool, beautiful scenery, drop right down to the River, turn around and go right back up...

Oh yeah, before I forget...go over to the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory...Take Washington Spring Road all the way down to Snedes Landing...then go back up, taking Ludlow Lane up through the observatory...nice hill.

Harriman St, Park has a nice 15 mile loop folks do...it's a good trip. 110 round trip for me from The Bronx.

I'll be getting to Bear soon (+4), gotta mechanical issue at the moment. 6800 FD driving me nuts.

The weather is going to be right next week hopefully.

Last edited by UnfilteredDregs; 07-14-14 at 01:39 PM.