Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2017- Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-17, 03:11 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Waterford Spring Training Series #3, B race (cat 3/4)

Got a good start and somehow managed to roll off the front with another guy. A few more came up after a lap or so and I think there were 5 or 6 of us. This course has a small hill on it, and everytime we hit the hill we fell apart and we werent really working that well together. We had a few seconds on the field and I think if everyone would have been willing to work together we could have done something..at least for longer than 3.5 laps.

But I don't know how I would have done with the hill in such a small group, I need the draft of the big group leading into the hill. Especially later in the race.

Anyways, after we got caught I just hung out in the back half of the pack for most of the rest of the race. With ~3 laps to go I started to move up, and with 2 to go I let a pocket in front of me go, would have help drag me up to the front...but for some reason I didnt move up. Last lap, coming into the finish I came up the right side and passed a bunch of guys and ended up 18th.

Very happy with how this race went. I was able to actually try and animate the race, even if it was a failed attempt with the group of guys we had. And I was also able to move around and get towards the front at the end of the race, which is something ive been trying to work on.

Another race tomorrow..should be interesting. I will definitely be feeling todays race in the morning.

https://www.strava.com/activities/953523513
Old 04-22-17, 04:59 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Won a road race today. It was pouring rain. It rained so much there were extremely deep "streams" running across the road all over the place. Hit one that was almost up to my bottom bracket. Powermeter decided that was not okay and stopped working. Was supposed to be a 70 mile race but due to flooding and washed out roads and such they told us after 30 minutes in that it was going to be shortened to 40 miles. We hit a 13ish min climb and by the top there were just 5 of us with another 7 about 20 seconds back. We rolled it hard and got the gap out to a minute or so. Just as we were about to turn to make our way the three miles back to the finish they tell us we're actually going to do another lap and the race would be 83 miles. Which was great since we'd just hit the feedzone a few miles back and taken nothing due to being told it was 40 miles.

So we death-rolled it for another lap and up the climb again and somehow our gap kept extending despite our average speed dropping 1.5 mph over the second lap. No one attacked in the finale and I was very grateful for that since I haven't ridden over two hours in the last four weeks and was saving everything for the last kick to the line. So we just sprinted and that was nice. After a heinously slow start to the season where I only managed a 10th and an 11th in four weekends of racing this was a welcome relief. Yay, bike races.
Old 04-22-17, 05:01 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2615 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
awesome result @rubiksoval! Sounds like an 'epic' race!
Old 04-22-17, 05:20 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, sounds pretty horrendous. great job!
Old 04-22-17, 05:26 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
@rubiksoval - Great job in lousy conditions!

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-22-17, 06:22 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Won a road race today. It was pouring rain. It rained so much there were extremely deep "streams" running across the road all over the place. Hit one that was almost up to my bottom bracket. Powermeter decided that was not okay and stopped working. Was supposed to be a 70 mile race but due to flooding and washed out roads and such they told us after 30 minutes in that it was going to be shortened to 40 miles. We hit a 13ish min climb and by the top there were just 5 of us with another 7 about 20 seconds back. We rolled it hard and got the gap out to a minute or so. Just as we were about to turn to make our way the three miles back to the finish they tell us we're actually going to do another lap and the race would be 83 miles. Which was great since we'd just hit the feedzone a few miles back and taken nothing due to being told it was 40 miles.

So we death-rolled it for another lap and up the climb again and somehow our gap kept extending despite our average speed dropping 1.5 mph over the second lap. No one attacked in the finale and I was very grateful for that since I haven't ridden over two hours in the last four weeks and was saving everything for the last kick to the line. So we just sprinted and that was nice. After a heinously slow start to the season where I only managed a 10th and an 11th in four weekends of racing this was a welcome relief. Yay, bike races.
nice!

my race videos
Old 04-23-17, 06:36 AM
rubiksoval

Thanks! A bit more than planned, but fortunately all good.
Old 04-23-17, 06:45 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Expensive and tough race. Good job sticking it out through the 16% course addition and lack of nutrition. Fingers crossed the PM isn't completely shot or the warranty department is feeling generous.
Old 04-23-17, 06:48 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good job, sounds like a hard man day indeed.

Powermeter decided that was not okay and stopped working.
You've probably been there before but, unless it's a sealed unit, take the battery cover off, battery out, and point a fan at it for a day.
Old 04-23-17, 06:55 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by globecanvas
Good job, sounds like a hard man day indeed.

You've probably been there before but, unless it's a sealed unit, take the battery cover off, battery out, and point a fan at it for a day.
Yep, yep. Took the cover off and battery out, stuck it in front of the dehumidifier overnight with a fan on and put in a new battery today. Seems okay. Will have to ride later and double check, but should be all good.

Gotta pull apart my rear hub today. Yippee.
Old 04-23-17, 08:59 AM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts

Aaron Shafer, right? The climb on the course isn't that bad despite being on the long side, but the long descent and then rollers on the other side, man. It's a fast one. Nice job.
Old 04-23-17, 01:32 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Raced again today (and sat in the back of the B race).

Im not quite ready for back to back days of racing yet. Legs weren't terrible, but I didn't really have anything left to be able to do what I wanted to.
Old 04-23-17, 10:54 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
@aaronmcd It was a prim lap, and not just me hallucinating. lol A nice present for GF for coming out.
Old 04-23-17, 11:29 PM
mattm
**** that

Did the local Red Kite crit today - 2nd.

We had 7 out of 21 in the field. Going in to it we joked "we better win or it'll be embarrassing."

We didn't win, but we (I) lost to an ex u23 national champ/ex-pro, so I guess if you're gonna lose to anyone it would be him.. but still.

Guy who I thought was the main threat for the day went literally from the whistle, which was smart because our plan was to attack him a bunch to wear him down. Me and one other team mate went with him. Team mate worked along with Threat Guy, I sat on. Before too long Ex Pro guy bridged up, I still wasn't doing any work. After a little bit another one of my team mates bridged, and my other team mate blew up, so there were four of us in The Move.

I got to sit on, while my team mate and Threat Guy did all the work. Ex Pro sat on as well. I took him off the back a few times, but he was too smart (and strong) for that to have much effect.

We lapped with two to go, I got a good leadout from fresh guys in the field, but Ex Pro elbowed his way in just before the last corner, and I couldn't come around him. Overall it was good racing, but a frustrating result - so close!

my race videos
Old 04-24-17, 12:34 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Same race, 2/3 and 1/2 back to back after a hard 84 miles/7000 feet yesterday.

Registered for both cuz I hoped I might have something left in the 1/2 (I didn't).

First race, I have some legs, but not so much. Surf up to a few moves, all fail. Surf halfway up to one, don't finish it off, it sticks. 4 guys lap us. Teammate and 2 others are 20" up at this point, one dude chases hard for a lap, brings the gap down, teammate comes back and the other 2 are starting to sit up. I attack through them, UmneyDurak follows and pulls through at the line but turns out he was just going for the prime and sat up. I didn'tknow there was a prime lol! Another guy comes up and asks if I wanna work. II'mlike duuuuh! But I guess he also assumed I was goin for the prime. Anyway he fizzles out, big group chasing hard, I go harder, one guy bridges, pack llet's us go to focus on the real race for the 4 guys who lapped. We ride hard for 8 laps other guy beats me, I get 6th.

Next race. Not fun to start a 1/2 race with only 21 guys right after finishing a hard 20' effort. I think about quitting about 30 times, start cramping at minute 35, and am forced to sprint every few laps just to stay with the group/keep it together. 3 to go, mattm laps us, bell. I think maybe I can hang on Matt's wheel and guard it, or maybe better bbring matt to the front. But I'm barely hanging on as is, and I got dropped around turn one and slowly roll in way back in 15th.

Congrats to Matt On back to back red kite field lappings. One of these days we gotta get him the win. But I like doubling up dammit!
Old 04-24-17, 12:38 AM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Oh and I yeah, I was so tired it felt like hell to average 240/267 that second race. 183 TSS for both races, 70 for the second.
Old 04-24-17, 05:24 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Monson hurt. It was a great day but I was expecting a pretty chill field until later in the race. Not the case. Every climb we got our legs ripped off, reducing the field from 50+ to 25 halfway through, then split in half again by the first time through the finish where I got relegated to the B squad and finished 3mins down on the winner. I was cooked. Racing sick is dumb, I guess. Looking forward to Quabbin, then Standish (because it's 20mins from my house).
Old 04-24-17, 08:42 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
LUX U17 Rider wins Tour of the Gila P1-2 GC.
Old 04-24-17, 09:15 AM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harlan
Well Monson hurt. It was a great day but I was expecting a pretty chill field until later in the race. Not the case. Every climb we got our legs ripped off, reducing the field from 50+ to 25 halfway through, then split in half again by the first time through the finish where I got relegated to the B squad and finished 3mins down on the winner. I was cooked. Racing sick is dumb, I guess. Looking forward to Quabbin, then Standish (because it's 20mins from my house).
Monson was hard for everyone, and while it was a great course that section after the finishing hill was soooo gnarly. Both me and a teammate got flats there (I was able to chase back, but he wasn't because it happened on the last lap for him) Overall a cool race. I ended up nabbing 11th (one spot out of the money...grrrrr). But I am surpsied with how I fared in the finale since that was distinctly a "Not my kind of finish". Uphill 1 mile drag race = not my cup of tea.
Old 04-24-17, 11:59 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I did Monson as well. I think I used too much energy too early in the race and part of it is natural antsyness and part of it is I should've done better recon, and I definitely messed up the finish by starting it at the back of what was left of the pack. The finishing climb was a 2 stairstep type thing with flat in the middle before a 300m kickup to the finish, and after the first step I was only a second or so behind, and got to watch the pack steamroll away while CCB (presumably) setup their little noisey-cricket of a puncheur for a good finish. If I had been towards the front at the bottom I would've remained in the draft during that section and probably would've been able to stay with the pack to the line, though I highly doubt I had anything left in the legs for much more than a back of the pack finish. It's funny how you can know you should do something but you still don't do it. Don't really have an explanation for it, but I'll be sure not to repeat this mistake!
Old 04-24-17, 12:10 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I completed all 5 stages of The Tour of the Gila (UCI women). I guest rode for a team and my goal was to make the time cuts each day. I had rough stage 2 (was sick) but felt better for the final 3 stages. Finished 58/65ish GC. I will probably never do another UCI race but it was an awesome experience, from feeding from the team car, warming up next to real pros and sleeping on a floor in host housing, the whole week was surreal!
Old 04-24-17, 12:15 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice @rideaz!
Old 04-24-17, 12:55 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rideaz
I completed all 5 stages of The Tour of the Gila (UCI women). I guest rode for a team and my goal was to make the time cuts each day. I had rough stage 2 (was sick) but felt better for the final 3 stages. Finished 58/65ish GC. I will probably never do another UCI race but it was an awesome experience, from feeding from the team car, warming up next to real pros and sleeping on a floor in host housing, the whole week was surreal!
Holy cow that's awesome!

Don't take this the wrong way but... were you the oldest woman in the field?
Old 04-24-17, 01:11 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by rideaz
Wow congrats!

Why no more UCI races?

my race videos
Old 04-24-17, 01:12 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Does that make rideaz a pro?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.