Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Brooks Colt?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Brooks Colt?

Old 05-03-17, 10:44 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Brooks Colt?

Not a lot out there on this saddle. Anyone ride one extensively? If so, will you post your thoughts?

I like the "classic" look and lines, but I'm wary of a product that was discontinued. Usually there are good reasons for discontinuing a product, especially at a place like Brooks which brags about having some lines in production for nearly a century.
Old 05-03-17, 01:16 PM
SWorksRoubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even Brooks doesn't know why it was discontinued?

The Colt was discontinued amidst mysterious circumstances a few years ago
https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/colt-2.html
Old 05-03-17, 01:49 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I had one for a few years. Very thick leather and simply would not break in. I sold it and bought a Team Pro, which I love. The Colts were listed as mtb saddles. I had mine on a roadbike.

Old 05-04-17, 06:05 PM
qqy
▒▒▒▒▒▒

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The colt is very similar to the Team Pro, but a bit shorter and has a bit more curve front to back. Both are thick and need a long break in. Brooks rereleased the Colt back in 2011.
Old 05-04-17, 08:46 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
Not a lot out there on this saddle. Anyone ride one extensively? If so, will you post your thoughts?

I like the "classic" look and lines, but I'm wary of a product that was discontinued. Usually there are good reasons for discontinuing a product, especially at a place like Brooks which brags about having some lines in production for nearly a century.
I had that one on my short list, partly due to the looks, plus the width made it appealing for me. It is a similar shape to the Cambain, I ultimately went with, which I really like. I've previously ridden b 17 standards, and was afraid I might not like the shorter length (I picked up the c17s because the lbs had a screaming deal on it), it was only 1/2 inch shorter than the Charge Spoon it replaced, so apparently the length was not an issue for myself.

If you get one, look forward to hearing your feedback.