Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Orbea Volata

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Orbea Volata

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-05, 03:47 PM
AppStateEvan

Bikes: Giant OCR3,Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im looking at pickin one up, an 06 model. Anyone have any experience with them? the frame? The components are Campy Mirage and im not too familair with them. Im going to test ride it soon. Also looking at Felt F75, Giant TCR3 (05), and a few others.

-thanks
Old 12-22-05, 06:34 PM
dragonflybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THat is a great price for an Orbea. If there is anyway that you can get your bike shop to upgrade you to Veloce shifters and rear derailure for a little more I would do it. I am familar with Veloce componentry but not the Mirage. However my 10 - 25 yr old Veloce works like a champ and I have to believe that the 06 Mirage is just as good if not better than my old Veloce, so if you are looking at a bike as an entry level bike or a budget priced bike then go for it. All of the above is assuming that it fits you and that you think it is a cool bike. Personally I think Orbea bikes are sweet, although I don't like what they did with their paint jobs this year, but many still have nice paint jobs.
Old 12-23-05, 08:13 AM
AppStateEvan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the bike but the only thing im somewhat concerned about is the lack of 10 speed. I am a beginning racer and a poor college student so I dont have too much money to spend. But im thinking i dont really need 10 as i was able to hang with most on my sora 8. Test ride today so we shall see.
Old 12-23-05, 11:10 AM
dragonflybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The lack of 10 speed is my only real concern about the bike anymore. I just noticed that the brifters that I have are actually Mirage but the rest is Veloce so the Mirage on the bike should be fine. As far as not being able to hang with just the Sora 8 spd, the lack of the other two gears in the back is unlikely the cause. The weight of your bike and yor fitness is more likely the reason that you couldn't hang. When I went from my heavy and old Bianchi to my new light weight Orbea Onix I did notice what felt to be about a 2 - 3 mph increase in speed. The only benefit that I noticed of going from my 8 to my 10 is that I wasn't allways wanting to find that gear inbetween two gears for my spinning cadence.

When I was looking at used bikes I noticed some that had 9 spd on them so I would not even consider them. If it is still a concern then either spend the $400 to upgrade to the next level or wait a little to save some more money. You might also be able to find a 2005 with Veloce on it as it had 10 spd in 2005.
Old 12-23-05, 05:06 PM
AppStateEvan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I walked out of the shop today with an 05 Dauphine. Full Ultegra 10 for 1658 with tax. I couldnt be happier!!!!!
Old 12-23-05, 05:09 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AppStateEvan
I walked out of the shop today with an 05 Dauphine. Full Ultegra 10 for 1658 with tax. I couldnt be happier!!!!!
Great Deal! I also ride an 05 Dauphine. Great OCP bike. ( I got mine for 1700)

I believe the Volata frame is the same as the Dauphine: 7005 double butted Al with carbon seatstays.