Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-17, 11:35 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I was given the green light to do GMSR at the beginning of September. I am missing sharpness and endurance from a few weeks of downtime so I don't expect any miracles, but maybe I can still pull out a good result. I think the worst case scenario is it gives me a nice boost of fitness coming into the Strava KOM season!
Old 08-14-17, 08:08 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another odd one with butthurt parties evacuating to do their own thing. 37 miles with strongest teammate and older guy who didn't have much pace on the hills. Nice mellow pace + ratcheting up the speed a couple times on the flat until our 3rd fell off. Overall a bit fatigued from the last two weeks of biting off just a bit more than I felt like chewing. See this weekend how good a job I've done of faking fitness.
Old 08-14-17, 10:08 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
EZ recovery day. Nothing special, but I got around to watching icarus afterwards. Woof, loved it.
Old 08-14-17, 11:25 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Instead of going to Suisun on Sunday cuz obviously Matt didn't need help, I did a fun 4.5 hour ride with the excess energy I saved by flatting at mile 58 with 30 remaining on Saturday.

I started out sluggish but the legs woke up wonderfully. Started by going across the golden gate and hitting the 9.5 minute climb. That was what woke up the legs. Did a little loop in Marin headland and then found a trail for another climbing effort, this time on dirt. Really nice trail for a road bike on dirt. Manageable yet a bit challenging here and there. The descent is more of a mountain bike descent but still doable on a road bike without going crazy.

Hit a dirt trail out to a beach and soaked in the view for a few minutes. Tentatively began another trail I was skeptical about. A few mountain bikes flew down past me, I fell into thorny thistles getting going again and I took the hint.

Turned to the pavement to hit a beautiful 20 mile loop I've only never done because it doesn't involve a big hill. But it was awesome for the views and a good hard 30 minute high tempo/sweet spot effort. Fun winding road as well.

Went home happy and was picking thorny splinters out of my hand for a day.

Last edited by aaronmcd; 08-15-17 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-14-17, 11:43 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
EZ recovery day. Nothing special, but I got around to watching icarus afterwards. Woof, loved it.
really gripping, eh?

as soon as they got off the track of amateur doping it heats up.
Old 08-15-17, 07:58 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by tetonrider
really gripping, eh?

as soon as they got off the track of amateur doping it heats up.
Definitely. Called my dad afterwards to recommend it to him.

I was reading some discussion on a triathlon forum afterwards and people were complaining about how rushed the first part felt and no closure on that part of the documentary. I personally felt it was paced perfectly. The focus started out being about individual doping and changed drastically to something else.

Makes me almost want to go to Sundance next year...
Old 08-15-17, 10:16 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
2hrs 133 tss for me today (5x15 sweet spot intervals). training is interesting because I basically only ride tues-wed-thurs. Something is better than nothing, but I get antsy even having 2 days in a row off.
Old 08-15-17, 12:33 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commute yesterday both 3 hours total, just zone 2 & 3. Today, either 3x10 or 2x15 minutes threshold intervals after work although it's going to be 95deg HOT. I find these to be easier to hold than VO2Max intervals but since I'm not racing till next season, i'll throw in ftp intervals. I'm happy to be where I am considering I broke my collarbone in April and 3 ribs
CTL 55, ATL 66, TSB -21
Old 08-15-17, 01:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Another 2x30' sweet spot set. FTP is coming back up, but boy the sharp edge is rusty and dull.
Old 08-15-17, 01:42 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

@globecanvas and I did 2x20 and 1x15. #3 was supposed to be another 20min thing but a combo of not eating enough and feeling a bit sore where everything is healing got me to hit the lap button early. Feeling reasonably decent all things considered!
Old 08-15-17, 04:43 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
rode the noon ride. sat in until everyone was tired then popped all but a few on a 60-sec riser. hit the downhill drag (like 3mi -2%) in a nice 2-man TT and ended up 2nd of 16,000 riders on Strava. Every group ride goes down that too, but a little tailwind and a lot of effort made for some zip.
Old 08-15-17, 08:32 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Attempted to race tonight. Riding like I did in July left me with no top end. Couldnt do all the acceleration's out of the turns and I popped. Sat in the back of the B group then finally just called it quits.

Im fine doing steady stuff..

Just in time for the last 1 or 2 races of the year. I know it wont help, but im going to try and cram some short duration intervals in during the next 2-3 weeks in the hops of salvaging something for the race on the 28th and then one I might do on sept 9th. I was racing really well earlier this year, so it sucks to be doing so awful in crits right now
Old 08-16-17, 09:30 AM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had my first real injury (eg more than just road-rash/bruises) on the bike last week. On a training ride, about halfway back in the pace line. There was a block of wood in the road that I never saw and nobody in front of me called out; took my front wheel out and I went down on my shoulder, grade 3 AC separation. It should heal up without surgery, but the timing is really frustrating as I'm going to miss several target races over the next month including the State RR.

I guess I'm going to start base early this year and focus on weight loss for a while. Had a few good results this year but missed more races than I'd like for various reasons, so it's been a frustrating year at times. Hopefully I can put together a solid 2018 season.
Old 08-16-17, 10:36 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
First gym workout of the off-season. Somehow the first set of squats gets worse and worse every year. Started super light, like 85 lbs, and within the first few reps was already feeling some soreness. It's like DOMS but without the delayed part.
Old 08-16-17, 10:46 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
@jsk - Ouch! Heal quickly and well.

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-16-17, 02:13 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back on the bike after taking over a week off to let road rash heal. Heart rate is high but so are my spirits.
I crashed at Big Bear a couple weeks ago when a car pulled out in front of us on a long descent. I didn't hit the car but I slid across the ground and took all the skin off my left side body (I posted a pic in the road rash thread incase anyone likes to look at that sort of thing). I purchased the entire first aid dept at a local walgreens, and had enough road rash to conduct an experiment: I used different products on different areas and even had a control area that I didn't put anything on. I may publish my findings one of these days :-D
Anyways, I had been feeling kinda meh about the bike this summer but a close call and a week off were enough to get my stoke back a bit.

Last edited by rideaz; 08-16-17 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-16-17, 03:08 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rideaz
Back on the bike after taking over a week off to let road rash heal. Heart rate is high but so are my spirits.
I crashed at Big Bear a couple weeks ago when a car pulled out in front of us on a long descent. I didn't hit the car but I slid across the ground and took all the skin off my left side body. I purchased the entire first aid dept at a local walgreens, and had enough road rash to conduct an experiment: I used different products on different areas and even had a control area that I didn't put anything on. I may publish my findings one of these days :-D
Anyways, I had been feeling kinda meh about the bike this summer but a close call and a week off were enough to get my stoke back a bit.
Glad to hear you're healing up - I didn't realize how bad the road rash was!

Definitely interested in hearing about the experiment.

my race videos
Old 08-16-17, 03:11 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rideaz
(I posted a pic in the road rash thread incase anyone likes to look at that sort of thing).
you know we do
Old 08-16-17, 06:54 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,656 Posts
Got up to do 2x20's this morning, and then decided to stay in bed instead. I've been too busy to ride lately and now I'll get to actually enjoy being lazy for a couple weeks before I start training again in earnest.

This whole off season concept is a weird thing - it came at the right time for me because I was swamped with work and life stuff. Still, all it takes is a month or more of relative inactivity to start itching to train again. I find myself pinching my mid section too often and also just fantasizing about training and being wiped from a hard ride while I'm at work.

Really what I'm realizing is that many bike racers (like myself) just like to ride, train, get in shape or otherwise "work out" all the time. I think as I begin to embrace this concept over time I'll feel less dramatic and hot/cold with respect to my cycling over an entire year.
Old 08-16-17, 06:55 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,656 Posts
On a separate note, I'm excited for my big MTB weekend. Took Friday off, have a primo campsite reserved at the Laguna mtns campground and a big group. I'll ride in the mornings and evenings Fri and Sat, then Sunday morning before checkout. On Saturday I'll ride Noble Canyon (expert lvl 90 min DH), then hit Sunrise highway at SST for a solid ~50 minutes back to the meadows. Stoked.
Old 08-17-17, 07:45 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Sounds sweet, TMonk. Ive got a good weekend of riding ahead. Took Friday and Monday off for the eclipse and I'm heading north to Wyoming / Idaho to put in some good time.

Due to packing up the car last night, rode the trainer for an hour to just move. Still got to bed about an hour later than I usually do so work may have to be coffee fueled this morning.
Old 08-17-17, 12:40 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

I am...quite sluggish. :-| feelsbadman
Old 08-17-17, 12:58 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1.4 hr commute zone 2 just ate a banana and drank water. This afternoon home commute, prob 2 hr with 1x20 heart rate zone 4...need get my commuter bike powermeter Good thing I had 1.5hr massage yesterday and felt kinda fresh this AM. I'm Intrigued to see my CTL get to 60 soon but my ftp still 230w after losing a 50 watts due to injury. Having no races this season just want to gain fitness and target state TT, then crits & RR will fall in somewhere

Last edited by TexMac; 08-17-17 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-17-17, 01:05 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Physical Therapist gave me a diagnosis, I tore where a tendon connects into muscle in one of the adductors called the pectineus. Because it's sorta tendon related it takes forever to heal, buuuuut it'll definitely return to 100% normal and I'm allowed to continue ramping up the training as pain allows. Also I got yelled at for being inflexible and have a list of stretches I am supposed to do on the regular for now on, the ones I currently do have been missing the hamstrings.
Best luck healing and hope you take it easy when neccessary
Old 08-17-17, 01:47 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Thanks. It's not all that big a deal, taking a few weeks mostly off was annoying but it already feels sort of normal, just sore. I'm sure I'll be back at full strength just after the racing season ends

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.