Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2018 Race Plans

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-18, 02:24 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
So there was a discussion on FB about the 45’s being merged with the 35+ at Chico.

One guy was upset about it.

Then someone made this masterpiece: https://www.captiongenerator.com/882...nates-45-field

I’m tearing up just watching it!
Man I can relate but you got to bite your tongue.

3 seasons ago a team dominated all the 30+ 4/5 races. They all upgraded, and got crushed in 35+ 1/2/3 races. So they hit the phones, called the promoters and now the 30+ 4/5 races are mostly gone and we have 30+ 3/4.

That made getting to 3 is much harder (assuming you upgrade on points) for new Masters racers. There isn't a whole lot of sympathy; I'm not sure we're owed our own race (which did have at least 30 riders). Now you're racing against 3's and racers 20 years younger.

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
When it's miserable out I tell the Missus, "I'm so glad I'm not good at cycling. If I was a pro I'd be training in this stuff." I guess when I was in my 20s I thrived in inclement weather, going out for long rides when it rained or sleeted or if there was a chance of snow. But now... if it's not withing 5 deg of 70 deg and the humidity is a few points from 50% then I'll ride outside.

Not having much potential makes cycling easy for me. No pressure other than what I put on myself.

I did dream about turning pro, when I was 16-17. But when I was 18 and did a slew of road races (with hills).... yeah, no.

I suppose managing/owning a bike shop is a dream kind of thing? I pursued it, life was both tough and enjoyable, and I don't regret it, but man was it hard sometimes. I've convinced a number of friends not to buy or start a bike shop.
I've watched your video's you're not a bad cyclist. Just not the top 1%. Being a pro in this sport is crazy hard. If you were the 50th best sprinter in the world, there's a good shot you're not getting a contract.
Old 02-03-18, 03:39 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
So there was a discussion on FB about the 45’s being merged with the 35+ at Chico.

Then someone made this masterpiece: https://www.captiongenerator.com/882...nates-45-field

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when that popped up on FB.
Old 02-03-18, 04:15 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

that is fantastic.
Old 02-03-18, 11:50 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
My favorite part was the women "at least they get to do 2 laps of Paskenta"
Old 02-04-18, 10:17 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I've watched your video's you're not a bad cyclist. Just not the top 1%. Being a pro in this sport is crazy hard. If you were the 50th best sprinter in the world, there's a good shot you're not getting a contract.

Heh. I'm not that strong and it's painfully obvious when I'm on club or recreational rides. I typically get shelled early on even on those rides, using speed to chase back on. When I run out of bridge efforts it gets really ugly, many minutes back.

I like crit racing because I like tactics and strategy and I can use them to hide my weaknesses. I do get outpowered though. It's like battling a tank with an anti tank gun. It's possible but you make a mistake and you're done. At some point the tank can overpower the guy with the launcher.

In one crit in particular a Cat 1 slash former pro went to the front and drilled it. I was way over FTP, like almost 300w on my 220w at best FTP. He pulled off, drifted back a bit , looked at me, went back to the front. I was gone a few laps later. I averaged 284w until I got shelled, including the brief respite where he wasn't pulling.

Stuff like that reminds me where I belong. I was sitting, he was pulling,and he shelled me.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-04-18, 12:03 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
that is fantastic.
Even we Southeast folks are laughing at this.

"If I wanted to get stronger, I'd race elites."

"Who races in October!"
Old 02-04-18, 03:24 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts

Hilarious. Who thinks of this stuff. Great creativity and the timing of the narrative was priceless.
Old 02-04-18, 09:24 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts

lol omg
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-07-18, 08:50 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I'm guessing I'm going to get some "tough love" this year. It's my first year ever racing. Cat 5 noob.

I've done my quicker group rides and stayed up front in some "sportive" like events taking my turns and learning to ride fast in a group. Still not the same.

Training wise, should be ok. Been doing road race specific plans. I'll be right at or just over a 4w/kg by my March race. Probably there today looking at the numbers. That matters crap if you can't race. So we'll see.

I'm also dipping into trying the time trial stuff. I don't have the fanciest equipment and I'll get destroyed by the life-time Cat 5 guys who weigh like 30-40lbs more than me, but that's life. But, it'll still be fun.

-Chapel Hill Grand Prix
-CMS Time Trial Series, going for all 6 races
-may try the Boone hill climb ITT, still too big a guy for that but might be fun
-Maybe the Greensboro crit
-AOMM is confirmed
-I'm working on getting my work to sponsor a couple guys to do Haute Route, that will be SUPER painful if they approve it because I am NOT cancelling my AOMM event

I realize several of those aren't USAC pts races, but it's enough for my first year. I'll do some official XC races in fall if I can pickup a used bike for my birthday this year......wifey, oh please please.....I'll get a used one!
Old 02-07-18, 12:39 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I'm guessing I'm going to get some "tough love" this year. It's my first year ever racing. Cat 5 noob.

I've done my quicker group rides and stayed up front in some "sportive" like events taking my turns and learning to ride fast in a group. Still not the same.

Training wise, should be ok. Been doing road race specific plans. I'll be right at or just over a 4w/kg by my March race. Probably there today looking at the numbers. That matters crap if you can't race. So we'll see.

I'm also dipping into trying the time trial stuff. I don't have the fanciest equipment and I'll get destroyed by the life-time Cat 5 guys who weigh like 30-40lbs more than me, but that's life. But, it'll still be fun.

-Chapel Hill Grand Prix
-CMS Time Trial Series, going for all 6 races
-may try the Boone hill climb ITT, still too big a guy for that but might be fun
-Maybe the Greensboro crit
-AOMM is confirmed
-I'm working on getting my work to sponsor a couple guys to do Haute Route, that will be SUPER painful if they approve it because I am NOT cancelling my AOMM event

I realize several of those aren't USAC pts races, but it's enough for my first year. I'll do some official XC races in fall if I can pickup a used bike for my birthday this year......wifey, oh please please.....I'll get a used one!

I raced last year as a Cat 5 and around 2.8 w/kg. Being at 4 you should crush people, tactics be damned. I was at the back of the pack in all my races and my tactics suck. You can't have worse tactics than me, although I've never (knock on wood) caused a wreck. But again, with 4 w/kg you should be crushing it. If I had that w/kg I'd be disappointed if I didn't win a couple of races. Actually I personally wouldn't assume that but people who humblebrag about high w/kg will be disappointed. Good luck this year.
Old 02-07-18, 01:16 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Thanks!

I don't see it as anything to brag about. More of a "just is what it is" kind of thing. There is always someone faster, more talented. I just have to ride smart and work hard. I just started formally training before ever bothering to think about racing.

I think it started when I traveled for a little while to SC for business and Paris Mtn was right there. I tried it, failed miserably, and decided to do something about it. I also got picked on once on a group ride for my helmet. I was a noob and got an Evade on sale for like $45.

Talk about the humble part though......I follow some local people online who are younger than me by quite a bit and already into the Cat 4's, 3's, 2's and even one guy who's a college guy on a youth or development team for a pro team. Those folks can crush it!

I'll talk ftp or w/kg online or with a friend, but I don't say a word on a group ride or anywhere else. Ask me about my kids or why I'm wearing pro-kit when I shouldn't be. (I work for who sponsors the team and we get discounts)
Old 02-07-18, 01:56 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
BTS - based on the events you listed, there are a lot of opportunities to race in your area. Let me know if you want details on any specific events. I've done most of them at some point or another.
Old 02-07-18, 02:57 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the Greensboro crit you're referring to the Carolina Cup? If you're local and interested in crits, there are tons you can do all throughout the summer. Herbalife, Winston, Ace Speedway, etc.
Old 02-07-18, 04:55 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
My advice for a new racer: don't worry about your ftp/ w/kg. Worry about how hard you can go, tuck back in and recover, and then go again. High ftp will help the recovery, but if you're not capable of going 200+% over that multiple times you'll be spat out the back and dropped pretty quickly

Racing is either full blast or barely pedaling a lot of the time. Full blast at the start and full blast at the end, so you need to mentally and physically prepare yourself to absolutely rip your bike apart for 15-60 secs at a time, especially for crits.

Other than that, go in and watch and analyze and try new things. Don't expect to win, but be cognizant of the opportunities and what you need to do to do so. Maybe it'll happen sooner than later...
Old 02-07-18, 09:34 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Pet peeve is new racers coming in thinking they're going to immediatly crush it because of power. I say this because I was like that when I started.

I like your mindset @burnthesheep. Go read some of what @carpediemracing has written about learning to race, apply that and you'll go far!
Old 02-08-18, 08:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Yeah, all those are nearby. A bit west of me, but doable.

Ace is closest. Might be a good one to try.

Don't worry, I get that w/kg is nothing without surging hard repeatedly. Just trying to do all the homework before the first test, even if the first test isn't an A+.

It's probably way too small to read, but this has been the plan I've done twice and liked. I hit week 9 right at the first race:

But.....at the end of the day, when the topic comes up I remember this F&F meme....
Old 02-08-18, 09:13 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked 3,144 Times in 1,654 Posts
lovin' the Vin Diesel meme.
Old 02-09-18, 01:08 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
But.....at the end of the day, when the topic comes up I remember this F&F meme....
What about doing that pose where you rest your leg on the top tube and look pro, does that count for anything??

my race videos
Old 02-09-18, 04:27 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What about doing that pose where you rest your leg on the top tube and look pro, does that count for anything??
I hope so because it's kinda all I've got.
Old 02-09-18, 05:41 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Have junior beat Brandon U23 nats - and don't flat.
Reality is to focus on ITT over RR as there is no way to get the miles in for 110mile RR.
The real goal is to do well - whatever that is.

Last edited by Doge; 02-09-18 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-11-18, 06:13 PM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't renew my USAC license...yet! But I'm planning to do Strada Rosa (Redlands area), Belgian Waffle Ride and a couple other long gravel events. Going to see if I miss road racing enough this year to want to get back to it next season :-)
Old 02-12-18, 06:58 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by rideaz
I didn't renew my USAC license...yet! But I'm planning to do Strada Rosa (Redlands area), Belgian Waffle Ride and a couple other long gravel events. Going to see if I miss road racing enough this year to want to get back to it next season :-)
I can say the gran fondos I've done have been just as competitive as some long USAC road races I've been a part of. I imagine gravel races will bring your competitive urges right back!
Old 03-28-18, 11:57 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

I'm signed up for tour of Walla Walla which is in 3.5 weeks and I'm going through the whole Chico thing again. Race director claiming on facebook it's a merckx tt despite what the published tech guide has said for two months and many people's protest on his post. I'm not a huge fan of merckx tt's because I enjoy racing my tt bike and how fast I get to go. I find it actually levels the playing ground between the ustrong dudes and the smaller people who put in the time to learn how to ride in a good position.

I'll still go to the race because I've already paid my registration fee and my parents (and dog) are coming to watch, but i won't be happy about the Friday morning stage if he ends up making it merckx..
Old 03-28-18, 04:02 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I'm signed up for tour of Walla Walla which is in 3.5 weeks and I'm going through the whole Chico thing again. Race director claiming on facebook it's a merckx tt despite what the published tech guide has said for two months and many people's protest on his post. I'm not a huge fan of merckx tt's because I enjoy racing my tt bike and how fast I get to go. I find it actually levels the playing ground between the ustrong dudes and the smaller people who put in the time to learn how to ride in a good position.

I'll still go to the race because I've already paid my registration fee and my parents (and dog) are coming to watch, but i won't be happy about the Friday morning stage if he ends up making it merckx..
I'm with you there on the merckx thing; I enjoy TT'ing as well and events for it seem to be disappearing. Promoters do it for the money, eliminate the TT Bike and they get more participants. Those of us that invested a few grand in a TT are sol.

Its like the 30+ masters races. Yeah, lets put the fastest age group in cycling in the same pool as middle aged athletes.
Old 03-28-18, 07:03 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

okay. Crisis averted. Enough people complained that I he caved and is going to let the morning categories (mens 1/2, 3, and womens 1/2/3, masters?) do it on tt bikes while the lower cats have to do merckx. I feel this is a good balance, but still think tting is become a lost art. Some of my buddies from WA were complaining on that post that if they get rid of the tt at this stage race, there will only be two events left for full gear tts on the calendar. That sucks..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.