Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Flipping a “normal” crankset for Captain?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-21, 08:03 PM
unc99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a normal Sugino crankset that I would like to use in the front/captain position on my tandem. I use Speedplay pedals, so as between the pedals and my cycling shoes, I don’t think it makes any difference if the pedals themselves are reversed from one side to the other.

But, the pedal threads in the crank arms will be reversed. Is this the only issue, or am I missing something? I haven’t tried it, but it seems like it wouldn’t be a big deal to double check to make sure the pedals aren’t loosening themselves since the threads will be reversed, Although not looking to do some thing that could create a safety issue. Any thoughts or insight are welcome. Thanks!
Old 01-03-21, 08:55 PM
headasunder

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
I once installed the bb wrong way round in the adjustable it unwound itself about 30 km from home I was stopping every 2km or so to curse and semi tighten it, as to the pedals i would use loctite thread locker on the threads and report back.
Old 01-04-21, 02:48 PM
bwebel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by unc99
I have a normal Sugino crankset that I would like to use in the front/captain position on my tandem. I use Speedplay pedals, so as between the pedals and my cycling shoes, I don’t think it makes any difference if the pedals themselves are reversed from one side to the other.

But, the pedal threads in the crank arms will be reversed. Is this the only issue, or am I missing something? I haven’t tried it, but it seems like it wouldn’t be a big deal to double check to make sure the pedals aren’t loosening themselves since the threads will be reversed, Although not looking to do some thing that could create a safety issue. Any thoughts or insight are welcome. Thanks!
In my experience, this will work fine...I have several thousand miles on such a set up. But, you absolutely have to use loctite on the pedal threads. I forgot once after switching pedals and they unscrewed within about 10 miles.
Old 01-05-21, 11:40 AM
tandem rider

Bikes: Co-Motion tandem, Serotta, and Specialized mt. bike

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
This is an interesting website that may help you.

​​​​​​https://www.bikesmithdesign.com/Short_Cranks/
Old 01-06-21, 01:25 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Gravity is the force that holds the universe together (OK, the strong nuclear force, too!) Precession is the force that makes it want to fall apart.
Old 01-06-21, 02:05 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I’d do it for a kid stoker setup but the captain on a tandem I wouldn’t screw around. The correct Sugino crank arms are not expensive. At least compared to most tandem stuff. Less than your pedals.
Old 01-06-21, 09:56 AM
diabloridr

Bikes: Co-Motion Macchiato, Calfee Dragonfly, Ancient Sun Fixie, Trek 5900

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by unc99
A well-equipped bike shop or machine shop could install helicoils in the arms to avoid this issue, if you wished to make it a permanent modification.
Old 01-06-21, 10:16 AM
MikeAndJean

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 18 Posts
Back in the old day, when pedals could be disassembled, it was common to switch pedal axles to allow the reversing of the captain's cranks (and the stokers left crank) on tandems. As several have mentioned, Loctite is useful but not essential if the pedals are properly tightened. More recently I learned that a very experienced tandem owner I know simply re-taps the threads in his cranks so that he has a broader choice of options for his cranksets. Of course, cutting a right-hand thread over a left-hand thread does not leave much metal so over tightening becomes a concern. But this rider probably has accumulated as many tandem miles as anyone on this thread (pun intended) with this usual approach.

Last edited by MikeAndJean; 01-06-21 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-06-21, 01:50 PM
rocknrollin

Bikes: PlanetX Tempest, Santana Fusion, Santana Arriva

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeAndJean
Back in the old day, when pedals could be disassembled, it was common to switch pedal axles to allow the reversing of the captain's cranks (and the stokers left crank) on tandems. As several have mentioned, Loctite is useful but not essential if the pedals are properly tightened. More recently I learned that a very experienced tandem owner I know simply re-taps the threads in his cranks so that he has a broader choice of options for his cranksets. Of course, cutting a right-hand thread over a left-hand thread does not leave much metal so over tightening becomes a concern. But this rider probably has accumulated as many tandem miles as anyone on this thread (pun intended) with this usual approach.
For most shimano pedals, spindles can still be bought separately for about ~12 Euros a piece.
But if I understand it correctly, it would not solve the problem of the spindle unwinding from the crankarm, since the thread on the crankarm still has the wrong handedness, right?
The trick with the spindle would then mainly be useful to set up the stoker crankset with 2x right crank arms (incl. spider, for both drivetrain and timing chain) and use one pair of pedals with a swapped out spindle on one of them, instead of buying 2 pairs of pedals.
Old 01-12-21, 08:32 PM
CaptainHaddock

Bikes: Custom Single, factory fixed, Cannondale RT2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is the route I've gone. I run 165 cranks as captain, and they just don't exist for LHD tandem cranks.