Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-22, 09:12 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
I'll give it a try

I will take the advice of others and start with a new chain so it may be a while before I try it.

I've used White Lightning drip wax before. Loved how clean everything was but hated how quickly I had a squeaky chain - seemed like I had to reapply after every 30 mile ish ride. It was the noise that got to me and I went back to my tried and true Finish Line Dry.

It will be interesting to give this approach a try.

btw, I've tried using coffee and COVID mask filters to filter used mineral spirits. I've even did it multiple times in a row. Nothing seems to get it the liquid clear after a first use for me. Any suggestions? Seems like a waste to use it only once.

Thanks
Old 09-06-22, 10:12 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Another question

For those of us doing touring: if you were to start your 2000 mile ride with a freshly waxed chain, what would you use to lube it every 100ish miles when it gets squeaky? I’m not trying to be snarky: if it lasts more than that let me know. I can’t see myself reimmersing the chain in wax during a tour

thanks
Old 09-07-22, 12:33 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
btw, I've tried using coffee and COVID mask filters to filter used mineral spirits. I've even did it multiple times in a row. Nothing seems to get it the liquid clear after a first use for me. Any suggestions? Seems like a waste to use it only once.
Save those filters for their intended purposes. OMS can be reused multiple times. Just let the particulate matter settle and strain the liquid off the top slowly (so as not to stir up the particulates). OMS still works after it turns a bit yellowish.

In my experience, a waxed chain is good for between 200 and 300 miles, which (shamefully) covers my monthly mileage for most months.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 09-07-22, 12:40 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
For those of us doing touring: if you were to start your 2000 mile ride with a freshly waxed chain, what would you use to lube it every 100ish miles when it gets squeaky? I’m not trying to be snarky: if it lasts more than that let me know. I can’t see myself reimmersing the chain in wax during a tour

thanks
I think you meant to ask which pannier do you put the crock pot in?
Likes For znomit:
Old 09-07-22, 12:43 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts

thanks
In fairness, I think this is one of the main limitations of wax.

If on-road, I would use DumondTech Lite after about the first 300 miles, and would be very careful about removing the excess.

If off-road, with a lot of grit present, I would probably try Squirt.
Old 09-07-22, 10:20 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I will take the advice of others and start with a new chain so it may be a while before I try it.

I've used White Lightning drip wax before. Loved how clean everything was but hated how quickly I had a squeaky chain - seemed like I had to reapply after every 30 mile ish ride. It was the noise that got to me and I went back to my tried and true Finish Line Dry.

It will be interesting to give this approach a try.

Thanks
I bought six cheap mason jars from amazon. Since I have so many jars it allows me to let the used jar settle for a week then pour most the mineral spirits through a coffee filter into another clean jar.
Not 100% clear but 1000x times better than trying to filter right after I took out the chain from the jar.
Likes For sean.hwy:
Old 09-07-22, 02:45 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
The title merely asks why waxing isn't more popular.
While there's a question buried deep in the text of the OP, the title of this thread is 'Immersive waxing / it should be more popular' .That's a statement of opinion masquerading as a statement of fact. Seeing the title as a question is misreading it.

Lots of assertions surrounding a question says to me that the person wanted to voice their opinion, not get an answer to their question. I don't know what the OP thinks he did in his OP, but my bet is that a language scientist would parse it as a provocation. Which worked. I can't see much has been lost.

I've been waxing my chains for close to 40 years. I was an early user of Tri-flow, and it blackened everything that touched it. Wax is much cleaner, IMO, and I don't mind taking the chain off and soaking it in paraffin every so often. But I've tried only 3 processes - oil, Tri-flow, and wax; there are many approaches I haven't tried, and won't. I would not assert that wax is the best lubrication; I do think it's good enough.

Last edited by philbob57; 09-07-22 at 02:50 PM.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 09-07-22, 03:11 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

OK, the title merely asserts waxing should be more popular.
Old 09-07-22, 04:05 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
This thread is lasting longer than the wax on my chain, that's for sure!
Old 09-07-22, 04:46 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I bought six cheap mason jars from amazon. Since I have so many jars it allows me to let the used jar settle for a week then pour most the mineral spirits through a coffee filter into another clean jar.
Not 100% clear but 1000x times better than trying to filter right after I took out the chain from the jar.
There's a canning process also involved?
Old 09-08-22, 09:45 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3430 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,792 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I would not assert that wax is the best lubrication; I do think it's good enough.
If the basis for "best" is minimizing power losses and maximizing chain life, wax has been shown to be the best chain lubricant.

At least in dry conditions.

If the basis is ease of use and minimizing time between applications, not so much.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-08-22, 09:58 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
There's a canning process also involved?
No, but it can sometimes be jarring.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-09-22, 06:48 PM
Symox

I took the plunge

Bought all the goods and thoroughly degreased chainrings, cogs and jockey wheels (surprisingly dirty!).

I’ll report back

ordered a new SRAM chain but may try my used Shimano since I had it go through several mineral spirit and acetone soaks. I hear Shimano chains may not be great for this application due to wax not sticking.

im going to use straight Gulf canning wax btw
Old 09-09-22, 07:08 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I've only used Shimano chains and straight Gulf canning wax. You will be fine.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-09-22, 08:34 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark;[url=tel:22642001
22642001[/url]]I've only used Shimano chains and straight Gulf canning wax. You will be fine.
awesome, ty so much for the info
Old 09-09-22, 09:14 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
I do the same thing except (a) I use pasta sauce jars (after my wife uses the pasta sauce and I clean the jars) and (b) I only need 3 to 4 jars in rotation.
Old 09-11-22, 05:36 AM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts

thanks
I don't do this myself because I don't tour but I heard that the Silca Super Secret drip wax is well suited to top up waxed chains as the wax base is essentially the same and dries hard (unlike Squirt/Smoove). So you could start with an immersion waxed chain and drip wax it every night and have it dry and ready in the morning. That said, you could also use Squirt/Smoove without creating problems while you are out there but I would want to strip that stuff properly before the next immersion wax. So to avoid any form of additional cleaning, that Silca wax drip should do.

As for the chains, I use coated YBN and Shimano chains, no dramas.
Likes For yaw:
Old 09-11-22, 06:12 AM
Symox

First impressions

Haven’t ridden it yet but I found the process of cleaning/degreasing the drive train and chain a lot of work. The waxing of the chain wasn’t too bad actually but the loosening of the “frozen” waxed chain was annoying. The part that really was a pain was attaching the waxed quick link. I found I had to scrape off wax from several tight spots to get it to lock. Even then it took quite a while to get it to lock properly. I was using a KMC quick link. I tried and failed using SRAM’s quick link supplied with the chain.

I know there is a learning curve but so far I’m not impressed with the ease of the process. I learned a few tricks to speed it up next time.

im also not too impressed with the look of the furry” wax on the chain after breaking the wax free. I assume this will fall off as I ride.

my $0.02
Old 09-11-22, 10:25 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Haven’t ridden it yet but I found the process of cleaning/degreasing the drive train and chain a lot of work. The waxing of the chain wasn’t too bad actually but the loosening of the “frozen” waxed chain was annoying.
I clamp an old wooden broom handle in my Feedback Sports Ultralight work stand, rotate the clamp so that the broom handle is horizontal (and parallel to the ground). I drape the chain over the broom handle and drag the chain over the broom handle while holding both ends of the chain. Flip chain over and repeat.

The part that really was a pain was attaching the waxed quick link. I found I had to scrape off wax from several tight spots to get it to lock. Even then it took quite a while to get it to lock properly. I was using a KMC quick link. I tried and failed using SRAM’s quick link supplied with the chain.
I wax the chain with the quick link separately attached, by looping a wire (from the inside of a twist tie) around the groove near the protruding end of the pin. But next time I will just wax the chain with the quick link closed.

A little wax is not going to prevent the quick link from locking if you use this tool: Amazon.com : Super B 2-in-1 Master Link Pliers (The Trident) : Sports & Outdoors

im also not too impressed with the look of the furry” wax on the chain after breaking the wax free. I assume this will fall off as I ride.
Some fall off. Some stick to the RD pulleys but is easy to brush off if the bike is on the stand.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 09-11-22, 11:32 AM
Symox

Excellent ideas

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir;[url=tel:22643357
22643357[/url]]I clamp an old wooden broom handle in my Feedback Sports Ultralight work stand, rotate the clamp so that the broom handle is horizontal (and parallel to the ground). I drape the chain over the broom handle and drag the chain over the broom handle while holding both ends of the chain. Flip chain over and repeat.

I wax the chain with the quick link separately attached, by looping a wire (from the inside of a twist tie) around the groove near the protruding end of the pin. But next time I will just wax the chain with the quick link closed.

A little wax is not going to prevent the quick link from locking if you use this tool: Amazon.com : Super B 2-in-1 Master Link Pliers (The Trident) : Sports & Outdoors

Some fall off. Some stick to the RD pulleys but is easy to brush off if the bike is on the stand.
I actually used a park tool quick link tool and could not close them until scraping wax from the holes and crevices of the locking mechanism.

I like your idea about waxing with the quick links on the chain that might work better
Old 09-11-22, 12:20 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
I’ve only ever had a problem with the quick link when I was using the Silca bag in boiling water, once I switched to the crock pot method, I just hang the chains from one of the adjustment rods on my stand and break the links on the stand itself.
Old 09-11-22, 02:43 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I've never waxed the quick-link. I just remove the wax from the ends, put the pins in a few times to push out the residual wax, and then close it with the Park tool.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-11-22, 04:04 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 160 Posts
Haven’t used this wax for almost two years. It’s just been sitting in the crock pot. It used to come out sorta opaque white, today it came out brown and sorta crusty… What happened?? Yes, my chain was and stripped from all grease prior to this.
Old 09-11-22, 07:29 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Wow...that looks great.
Old 09-11-22, 07:31 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by procrit
Haven’t used this wax for almost two years. It’s just been sitting in the crock pot. It used to come out sorta opaque white, today it came out brown and sorta crusty… What happened?? Yes, my chain was and stripped from all grease prior to this.
what color was the wax in the pot before you put the chain in? It’s possible the wax was dirty in which case you should probably start over.

also, I think it is possible to overheat the wax. Not sure if that could cause this though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.