Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Kuwahara Count - Detailed shots.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-20-22, 07:34 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts

I need an intervention. I see something cool and different and next thing you know I'm blasting over a high mountain dirt road to get to the next valley and another old bike finds it's way into my stable.This time it's a Kuwahara Count, first time I've seen one of these. According to T-Mar Asian serial number sticky it's a 1983. Picked it up from the original owner who's owned it since he was 12. He said it's sat unused for around 20 years now although a few years ago he did have it all serviced up but then still never road it. Somewhere along the way he "upgraded" the rear RD with an early Dura Ace but I'd sorta like to have seen the original Suntour on there. I do have some really nice Cyclone derailleurs and shifters that may find there way onto this one. I actually picked this up a couple of weeks ago. Took it out the next day for a wonderful 30 mile ride without really doing much of anything to it other than swapping is some different wheels until I sort out the hubs on the ones it came with. The first ride was wonderful, we connected right away. Anyway not sure where I'm going with this one but it's sure going to get it's share of rides. Paints probably the worse of any of my bikes. Lots of scuffs in the black paint that I've crudely touched up with some gloss black testors. This winter I'll wet sand the touch ups then apply a gloss over them and let it go at that. When I got it I was hoping most of the marks in the paint would wipe off or polish out but not on this way. Quite the shame as a full polish job on it brought out a beautiful overall sheen to the bike. This had to be gorgeous when it was brand new.

Anyway, how about some pics...

How I brought it home, literally from the Cherokee to the garage door for the 1st picture

How I've got it setup tonight.

The black and red is pretty cool.

Still plenty of shine left

"Upgraded" RD, notice those spoke holders?

Factory Drillium

Nice work, I don't know if the gold outlining was factory or not. That's a pretty headset.

Stem still rough after a couple of round of metal polish

Levers are in good shape with only a few marks.

Kuwahara
Old 09-20-22, 07:37 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

More shots

Suntour AR FD

Brakes got the job done just fine on the test ride

First bike I've had with these cool centering pieces that actually seem to work

Pretty lug work

Decent shine still

More lugs and lining

Suntour shifter always feel nice

Saddle and seatpost grabbed from my stash for use right now

Loving the black and red

Nitto bars
Old 09-20-22, 07:45 PM
jamesdak 

And even more

Real Headbadge

Not a bad looker from a few feet away

Not the lightest but made a wonderful riding bike if the first test ride is any indication

Yeah, had to jazz it up a bit with the colored bolts

Oops, left the red cable out of place from when I polished the stem. Bars are a bit narrow for me and I've got black tape with red perforated holes to redo things with. Top of the bars wrapped backwards

Fork detail, not fancy but pretty.

BB area detail

23 lbs 4 ozs as in all these pics so one of my heavier rides. This may get my black Brooks Swallow saddle on it combined with some 700 x 30 Vittoria Corsa G 2.0 I just got. Just make this a cushy fun riding ol' beauty of a bike.
Old 09-20-22, 09:01 PM
swen0171 

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone XO-3, 1981 Trek 613, 1988 Fisher Montare, 1986 Univega Alpina Uno, 2010 Surly Long Haul trucker, 2004 Rivendell Quickbeam. 1970s Gitane Mixtie (60cm), 1994 Diamond Back Axis TT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 21 Posts
I love this! Great find, congrats.
Old 09-20-22, 09:05 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
very nice and nice photos too!
My only thoughts are "this could use some nicer brakes..."
Old 09-20-22, 09:10 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by unworthy1
very nice and nice photos too!
My only thoughts are "this could use some nicer brakes..."
Funny thing is I just recently pulled sidepulls off a Bianchi and Peugeot because they didn't brake well nor stayed centered well. These worked great on the test ride but they do have modern pads holders on them. Right now I did a quick hand polish on them while still on the bike. Once I decide to stick with them I will take them off, take them apart, and then polish them up to a mirror shine. I just can't deny how well they worked.
Old 09-21-22, 10:54 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Very nice. 👍 Ya sure don't see many Kuwahara road bikes, huh? 🤔
Old 09-21-22, 11:17 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
Very nice! I really like that Kuwahara headset.
Old 09-21-22, 01:52 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
WOW! Beautiful bike, nice details and photos of the bike.....from now on I am sure that these will now be on a lot of folks radar, I know the make is on mine.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-22-22, 06:39 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
WOW! Beautiful bike, nice details and photos of the bike.....from now on I am sure that these will now be on a lot of folks radar, I know the make is on mine.
Best, Ben
Thanks! It does photograph better looking than it actually is, paint has a lot of honest wear to it. But man, right now it's in the garage because I've been working on it in the evenings. When I drove into the garage yesterday afternoon and the daytime running lights on my Jeep hit it the bike the shine just gleamed like a black sun. It really did polish up well and looks superb from 10 ft away. The Testor gloss black does not match up well in the sun but I'm hoping when I wet sand and blend it in and then cover it with clear coat it will help it look better.
Old 09-22-22, 07:04 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Nice find. The colorway is quite reminiscent of a Motobecane.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 09-22-22, 07:21 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
I ride a Kuwahara "sage" and it uses a similar, but not quite, headset. One thing about these types of headsets and their sawtooth interface is it makes headset bearing adjustment a little simpler. "Indexed" adjustment I guess you could say. I'm not sure if I'm their biggest fan but the fashion seems to work.
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 09-22-22, 07:34 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 2,305 Times in 1,365 Posts
A Kuwahara with similar headset was just posted on the Craigslist thread, for $100 in Kalamazoo....😘
Old 09-22-22, 07:37 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
I would have bought it just for the headset! I bought a bicycle yesterday, just for the handlebar stem (Kusuki Medallion 800)! It's a disease.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Old 09-22-22, 08:11 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3431 Post(s)
Liked 2,826 Times in 1,723 Posts
Beautiful bike!

What's that bit of braze-on on the chainstay above the cable stop in the 5th photo? I can't quite make it out.
Old 09-22-22, 08:35 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by smd4
Beautiful bike!

What's that bit of braze-on on the chainstay above the cable stop in the 5th photo? I can't quite make it out.
It's one end of the braze-on's for holding spare spokes. Other end behind the crank. If spokes are carried there it also serves to protect against chainslap.
Old 09-22-22, 08:37 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by jamesdak
It's one end of the braze-on's for holding spare spokes. Other end behind the crank. If spokes are carried there it also serves to protect against chainslap.
Cool. I thought that's what it was, but didn't see the other end. That explains it.
Old 09-24-22, 08:53 AM
jamesdak 

This morning's changes before another test ride. Put on a black Gyes leather saddle and some Vittoria Corsa G 700 x 30 tires. Usually these tires have measured larger than size but on these Mavic G 40 rims they are only 28mm right now. Hopefully they'll stretch a bit. Weird this was the tires turned my hands black working on them. That never happened with my other sets. The do look brand new and I got them from Merlins whom I trust. She put on some weight to an even 24 lbs now.

Old 09-24-22, 10:16 AM
buddiiee 

Bikes: 70's Nuovo Record Jeunet Franche Compte, '88 105 Trek 1200, '85 Victory Bianchi Vittoria, '89 Exage Bianchi Strada LX, '11 Shimano Masi Partenza

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
God darn that's a nice find. Have always loved Kuwahara. Currently restoring a Kuwahara Hopper (bmx) as we speak.

Likes For buddiiee:
Old 09-28-22, 06:10 PM
jamesdak 

Hmmm.... I think this saddle kicks it up a notch look wise.

Old 09-28-22, 06:31 PM
smd4

That saddle was made for that bike.
Old 09-28-22, 08:50 PM
ZudeJammer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Series V 1985, Motobecane Grand Touring 1982, Specialized Stumpjumper 1993, Raleigh International 1972, Raleigh Grand Prix 1972, Kuwahara Count 1983, Trek Cirrus 1987, Shogun 2001 1983, Cannondale SM700 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 96 Posts
Great pictures! I aspire to take such nice pics. You've probably seen my Count thread. I've been recently tinkering with my Count also and have been considering converting it to 650b for next summer if I can get some wheels for cheap.
One detail I don't see you posted a picture of is the two white dots on the underside of the down-tube shifter stop.
Old 09-29-22, 08:19 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by ZudeJammer
Great pictures! I aspire to take such nice pics. You've probably seen my Count thread. I've been recently tinkering with my Count also and have been considering converting it to 650b for next summer if I can get some wheels for cheap.
One detail I don't see you posted a picture of is the two white dots on the underside of the down-tube shifter stop.
Nice!

I do feel cheated though. Mine does not have the white dots. Tempted to fill them in with red now, LOL!

Old 05-06-23, 10:51 AM
jamesdak 

And another old beauty has found a new home. Really enjoyed sorting this one out and riding it last year. Just sold it to a local guy that seemed very happy with it. That's why I snag these old beauty's that languish on the local sales.