Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

newbie needs a little advice ... thanks in advance!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-07, 12:17 PM
trigger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey there ... my first post!

I've been a casual cyclist for several years now ... I don't own a car, live in a fairly big city, and use the bike to get around. Haven't biked through the (Canadian) winter yet, but I cycle about 8 - 9 months of the year. The point is, I've never done any "serious" cycling.

I'm very seriously embarking on a mission to lose about 50lbs, and though I've tried running (got it up to 3 miles every other day), it's been a hard pursuit to make stick. I thought that cycling might be the answer ... I love being on my bike! At the moment, I ride a 2005 Marin Muirwoods (flat bar, 26inch wheels) though if I can reach my goal, I will reward myself with something nicer and more appropriate for longer rides.

I'm looking for some advice on a training program / routine to follow to help with my weight loss. I'm a vegetarian, and like to think I watch what I eat most of the time. I am giving up beer and eating after 10pm, and I have started a calorie log of the foods that I am eating to get an honest picture of things.

Realistically, how far / fast / often should I be trying to ride in order to see a drop in weight / change in body shape. I can ride 9 miles pretty easily at an average 12 - 15 mph, and have been doing this daily, but I've never gone much further (I don't think). Today I bought a cycle computer that has a cadence feature as well.

Any input would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks as well for all the tips I have picked up cruising these boards, and for the many inspiring stories here.
Old 08-11-07, 12:25 PM
(51)
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How FAR you go depends on how many calories you intake. If you eat more you'll have to ride more. Once you know how many calories you are eating, and figure out your mileage, use this calculator to see how many calories you are burning. I *THINK* 3,000 calories=about a pound. So if you burn 500 extra calories per day, in 6 days you will lose a pound.

Hope this helps until a professional gets here.
Old 08-11-07, 12:27 PM
king koeller
BIKE MECHANIC

Bikes: 1975 Full Campy N.R. Centurian Super Lemans,1984 Focus Vintage pre susp. mountain, hardtail,suntour xc sport, many treks, diamondbacks, and, 1950' crusier J.C.Higgins,triex (road) and kakakura silk (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vintage roads bike rule!!
Keep on biking!!!!!!!!!

Only one question?
Your giving up beer?
Any riding is way better than none,
Just go for it !!

Sometimes a beer (Hamm's) is the perfect thing after a long ride!
Old 08-11-07, 12:43 PM
trigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey!

Thanks for the quick replies. That calculator is handy, but how do I figure out my Power / Watts? That seems pretty essential ... I'm about 5'11 and 198lbs

BEER - yeah, well. It's summer in Canada, so that one's going to be rough, but drinking my calories is not going to help me drop the pounds. When it comes off, I will factor a few brews back in to the master plan I devise to keep it off.

Thanks again guys.
Old 08-11-07, 01:45 PM
Dr_Robert
AKA Nathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trigger
When it comes off, I will factor a few brews back in to the master plan I devise to keep it off.
Nothing wrong with a few brews every now and then - just be aware of how many calories are in that little bottle. I've been curbing my alcohol intake as well, but I still have 4-5 beers once or twice a month. It's something of a treat, and hasn't put me off my training program at all.

If you can hold 15 MPH, and you have the time, try to hold that pace for an hour. Once you've done an hour, try for two. You'll be riding 30 miles a day before you know it.

-DR
Old 08-11-07, 04:53 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hey there ... my first post!

I've been a casual cyclist for several years now ... I don't own a car, live in a fairly big city, and use the bike to get around. Haven't biked through the (Canadian) winter yet, but I cycle about 8 - 9 months of the year. The point is, I've never done any "serious" cycling.

I'm very seriously embarking on a mission to lose about 50lbs, and though I've tried running (got it up to 3 miles every other day), it's been a hard pursuit to make stick. I thought that cycling might be the answer ... I love being on my bike! At the moment, I ride a 2005 Marin Muirwoods (flat bar, 26inch wheels) though if I can reach my goal, I will reward myself with something nicer and more appropriate for longer rides.

I'm looking for some advice on a training program / routine to follow to help with my weight loss. I'm a vegetarian, and like to think I watch what I eat most of the time. I am giving up beer and eating after 10pm, and I have started a calorie log of the foods that I am eating to get an honest picture of things.

Realistically, how far / fast / often should I be trying to ride in order to see a drop in weight / change in body shape. I can ride 9 miles pretty easily at an average 12 - 15 mph, and have been doing this daily, but I've never gone much further (I don't think). Today I bought a cycle computer that has a cadence feature as well.

Any input would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks as well for all the tips I have picked up cruising these boards, and for the many inspiring stories here.
Hey another guy from Toronto, what part of the city are you in, maybe we should organize a Toronto Clyde Ride.......
Old 08-11-07, 05:17 PM
(51)
Perma-Clyde

Bikes: Trek Hybrid 7200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey!

... I'm about 5'11 and 198lbs

What are you doing here, Skinny? Beat it!
Old 08-11-07, 05:57 PM
trigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
Hey another guy from Toronto, what part of the city are you in, maybe we should organize a Toronto Clyde Ride.......
Actually, he's a girl - but I'd be up for a Toronto ride.
Old 08-11-07, 07:43 PM
Wogster

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Actually, he's a girl - but I'd be up for a Toronto ride.
Sorry about that, your handle doesn't imply gender

I think 51 made the same error though.
Old 08-11-07, 08:27 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Yea, but "she" is still skinny compared to most here. I'd loved to be 198 at 5'11. Only 100 to go.

Old 08-11-07, 09:04 PM
trigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No worries about the gender mishap ... I didn't really think about that when I chose my handle ... (always a moment of panic). I'll clear it up with an avatar at some point or other.

Nice to be called skinny, but it ain't true. I may have less weight to lose to accomplish my goals, but I face the same barriers and obstacles regarding motivation and commitment as the rest of you. I have found the stories on this board to be VERY inspiring, and they have helped to firm my resolve to finally(!) drop the weight. The sense of community and helping each other out that seems to permeate this board is bound to help, as well. Nice to have folks that understand.

Good luck to all of us!
Old 08-11-07, 09:29 PM
Wogster

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Yea, but "she" is still skinny compared to most here. I'd loved to be 198 at 5'11. Only 100 to go.
Heck I would like to be looking at the south side of 200 myself, and I am only 5'9" Mind you I only have about 16lbs to go
Old 08-13-07, 09:14 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Hey!

Thanks for the quick replies. That calculator is handy, but how do I figure out my Power / Watts? That seems pretty essential ... I'm about 5'11 and 198lbs

BEER - yeah, well. It's summer in Canada, so that one's going to be rough, but drinking my calories is not going to help me drop the pounds. When it comes off, I will factor a few brews back in to the master plan I devise to keep it off.

Thanks again guys.
Easy rule of thumb: you burn roughly 40 calories for every mile you ride. The estimate for walking is 90 calories per mile. These estimates are independent of your weight and riding speed. But figure a skosh more for hill and a tad less when you're just noodling.

(I emphasize roughly because every time I post this somebody says it isn't true. Nevertheless, it is a quick and dirty guesstimate, and close enough to the results you'll get on the complicated calculators, which are also rough estimates. All the time spent calculating an "exact" calorie figure would be better spent riding your bike!)

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-14-07, 06:38 AM
gobot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you already have a lot of the pieces in place-- as a vegetarian you are probably geting most of your calories from carbs-- which you can just burn through like nobody's business if you just add in some extra cycling!

Try cutting down on cheese and fried foods if you want to work on the diet-- that's where most vegetarians have trouble (if they have diet trouble, that is)

as far as cycling goes, I just started too, and I find that about 20 miles is a great workout-- you can probably do 50 since you already probaly have good leg muscles for it.