Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

No Helmet Trend?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

No Helmet Trend?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-09, 08:14 PM
VaultGuru

Bikes: Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No Helmet Trend?

Maybe it is just me, but I have been noticing an increasing number of riders that are not wearing helmets. Seems to be concentrated among those that can afford expensive rides. Is this the new hot fad? I rode the Auburn Century last weekend and saw three riders with no helmets by the time I got to Colfax. (They were not participating in the ride). I'm wondering if any of them either 1. work, or have worked, in a trauma center; 2. volunteer in one, 3. just visited one lately to see the carnage, and/or 4. have health insurance to prevent you, and me, (insured) for paying for their uninsured ego. Head trauma from a severe bike accident is almost a given, yet somehow, the known outcome is either ignored or there is a "it won't happen to me" mentality. Granted, the helmets cyclists wear are not the greatest, but any kind of protection is better then looking up at your favorite Neurologist, Neurosurgeon and/or Orthopedic surgeon (if you can) when you are in the Operating Room.
Your thoughts?
Old 09-14-09, 08:19 PM
Skones MickLoud
This steel horse I ride

Bikes: 1980something Schwinn Tempo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VaultGuru
4. have health insurance to prevent you, and me, (insured) for paying for their uninsured ego.
Why do people always assume that the uninsured don't pay for anything when they go to the hospital?

Last edited by Skones MickLoud; 09-14-09 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-14-09, 08:23 PM
Mitchxout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's called freedom of choice. You should feel fortunate there is such a thing left at all.
Old 09-14-09, 08:26 PM
Joe_Mo
Still Believes In Joy

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, GT Force

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're free to be idiots. As much as it makes you and I cringe, nothing we can do about it.
Old 09-14-09, 08:28 PM
king koeller
BIKE MECHANIC

Bikes: 1975 Full Campy N.R. Centurian Super Lemans,1984 Focus Vintage pre susp. mountain, hardtail,suntour xc sport, many treks, diamondbacks, and, 1950' crusier J.C.Higgins,triex (road) and kakakura silk (road)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's obvious that these so called "cool people" are so frickin' stupid!!!
This is exactly like die hard Cigarette smokers.
They know it will kill them, but they don't give a crap. Total morons...
I'm so weary of thinking ...."Look at that dumb ass on the motorcycle wearing no helmet!!!"
If you don't want to wear a helmet when you ride a century ride, Ok, I can't make you wear one, but know in your heart that you're soon to be a vegetable with some bloody brain salad surgery.
Old 09-14-09, 08:35 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, they have the right to make stupid choices. So let 'em.

Doesn't cost me a frickin' dime. If it DID, then I'd have something to say.......
Old 09-14-09, 08:37 PM
Mitchxout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe_Mo
They're free to be idiots. As much as it makes you and I cringe, nothing we can do about it.
In other words, if someone doesn't agree with your world view, they must be an idiot?
Old 09-14-09, 08:51 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Skones MickLoud
Why do people always assume that the...
To steal that opening line:

Why do people always assume that the helmet sticky thread does not apply to them?

-Kurt

Old 09-14-09, 09:10 PM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
To steal that opening line:

Why do people always assume that the helmet sticky thread does not apply to them?

-Kurt
because they don't want to be shown how ridiculous they are?

But to answer the question, what's with the no helmet trend? - I think some people have taken the time to educate themselves (perhaps through the sticky?) and made a choice after they found themselves better informed than others who may have made a choice without thinking it over too much.

But really, the sticky has to do with much of the attitude displayed here, in spite of the legitimate point of those who choose to go without, or remove a helmet

Last edited by closetbiker; 09-14-09 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-14-09, 09:11 PM
DigiK

Bikes: Kona Dr. Dew '09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure wearing a helmet can save your life, but there are also other forms of blunt force trauma that can be as equally deadly; yet you don't see people riding bikes in full body armor. I also ski avidly in the winter and only wear a helmet when I deem it appropriate; the same goes for cycling. All environments aren't equally as dangerous (although admittedly, seriously accidents can happen any time); so I use the liberty that my state's laws provide for, enjoy my outing, and remain cautious/responsible at all times.

Society has a number of much more taxing problems when it comes to high risk activitites that results in a far higher percentage of fatalities/ER time per year than fitness/leisure activities like cycling and skiing. Just a friendly reminder that things aren't always black & white.

Last edited by DigiK; 09-14-09 at 09:14 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 09-14-09, 09:23 PM
VaultGuru

Bikes: Kestrel RT1000 & Calfee Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Digik, do you consider that you will get into an accident tomorrow, thus you will put on your seatbelt or wear your helmet? An accident takes less than a blink of an eye. As with seatbelts, and helmets...you never need them until you need them. I have spent too many days in ER's not to be an advocate for all the protection you can get, including what is between your ears. When do you wear a helmet while skiing? I am fully certified PSIA and have been for more than 40 years. I now wear a helmet, not to protect myself from my abilities to ski safely, but from some idiot that is skiing beyond his/her abilities, or on drugs, might run into me. I watched a close friend of mine go through into a crevasse while heli-skiing last year. He never saw it coming because it was covered over by a snow bridge. Yes, he is also certified and has a lot of miles under his skis. Had he not had a helmet on, he would not be here today.. So back to your point...when do you "only" wear a helmet?
Old 09-14-09, 09:43 PM
Wheels2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by king koeller
It's obvious that these so called "cool people" are so frickin' stupid!!!
This is exactly like die hard Cigarette smokers.
They know it will kill them, but they don't give a crap. Total morons...
I'm so weary of thinking ...."Look at that dumb ass on the motorcycle wearing no helmet!!!"
If you don't want to wear a helmet when you ride a century ride, Ok, I can't make you wear one, but know in your heart that you're soon to be a vegetable with some bloody brain salad surgery.
Why do you people have to be told over and over again? The reason the no helmet trend tends to be among the well educated who ride expensive bikes is because those are the people who have actually studied the issue. Instead of some kneejerk moron like reaction, they have read the studies that show bicycling is relatively safe. They think it's silly to wear a helmet while cycling when they don't wear one while driving or walking across the street.

They also realize a bicycle helmet offers scant protection. I have never encountered a helmet advocate who offers anything but personal stories, usually second hand. No reference to actual data.

You might as well tell me your astrologist told you so, as tell me about your friend who whatever. Slog through the 'helmets cramp my style' thread and the others and read the studies before you sound off. If you are one of those who falls a lot and hits the top of your head, wear a helmet. Quit whining at those who are well coordinated and understand the science. They don't refrain from wearing a helmet because they think it is cool. They don't wear helmets for the same reason they don't wear them while bathing.
Old 09-14-09, 09:50 PM
DigiK

Bikes: Kona Dr. Dew '09

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vault, Your points are most certainly valid and have been well-considered on a personal basis, especially given your experience, which I certainly respect. Admittedly, the per mile risk of serious incident on a bicycle is higher than that of a motor vehicle, but the great majority of these accidents are in the presence of other vehicular activity, i.e.: your point about protecting yourself from the other idiots.

I think for those of us in the 'grey' crowd, it becomes possible to make some prudent conclusions about lower risk situations based on statistical evidence and observations about the conditions at hand: for cycling- an asphalt bike path, and for skiing- a familiar local resort on a light traffic weekday qualify for me as lower risk situations where will I forgo helmet use for the sake of purest enjoyment of the activity.
Old 09-14-09, 09:59 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't wear a helmet because I know it's more likely to fall and hit my head in the shower than it is to need it on my bike.... where's the outcry for people to wear a helmet while showering? How about making it legally REQUIRED that everybody install non-skid in their bathtub? (Don't forget the annual inspections of your bathroom to ensure that you're complying with the law!)

Or how about walking? I believe the statistic is that you're twice as likely to get hit by a car WALKING than riding your bike... Where's the outcry for mandatory helmets while walking? What about those that fall off ladders??? Yup... mandatory helmet there, too.

Check how many more people die of head injuries when involved in car accidents (yes, even inside the car!) Where's the outcry for mandatory helmets while driving?

Fact of the matter is that the countries with the lowest fatality rates among cyclists also have the lowest percentage of helmet use. Imagine that!
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 09-14-09, 10:05 PM
Joe_Mo
Still Believes In Joy

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, GT Force

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitchxout
In other words, if someone doesn't agree with your world view, they must be an idiot?
Yes.

I was in an accident this afternoon in fact. huge laceration across my chin. I left with 10 stitches. mouthful of broken teeth. I was wearing my helmet. And the fact that I fell in such a way that it wouldn't have mattered a whole lot if i wasn't wearing the helmet. I landed chin first and stayed flat on the ground. I'd still wear one if I could go back in time and do it over again.
Old 09-14-09, 10:58 PM
rjn3100

Bikes: '77 Raleigh Competition GS '95 Fuji Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm posting here because I went for a nice little ride this weekend, great weather here in Chicago, Lots of people out with the kids...and a handfull AT BEST had the helmets properly straped to their heads. I got a LOT of dirty looks from parents because I don't wear one, yet these so called "concerned " parents don't even think enough of their kids heads as to read the instructions on how to put a lid on. A lot of adults didn't even have the strap on right, lots of loose helmets. What good is a loose lid? If the kid falls off a bike, the parents sue the helmet maker and the kid ends up with SS checks because he now has a "learning disability" great parenting

Now I am going out to buy a helmet because I want to do some beginer group rides, and was "asked" to wear one, I did the first ride with out one. I will put a lid on to make other people around me feel comfortable, if everyone is concerned about me not wearing a lid, there is more chance for error & an accident.
And I want to add about the insurance thing...if something horrible long term really happens, lets say you end up a bedriden the rest of your life, private insurance has limits you won't be taken care of for life by them, you still won't be able to work, you will probably end up on government assistance anyway.
OK so if you wear a lid, wear it right, put it on your kid right & don't bug me because I don't wear one... OK my rants over
Old 09-14-09, 11:01 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I rode the Auburn Century last weekend and saw three riders with no helmets by the time I got to Colfax. (They were not participating in the ride).
Your thoughts?
Even more alarming was that there were numerous people walking around in downtown Auburn (an activity with a greater risk of serious head injury than recreational cycling) and almost none of them were wearing protective head gear. There were also helmetless people seen climbing stairs and ladders - even riskier than regular pedestrians.

Guess the citizens of Auburn are just crazy risk takers - maybe it goes back to the Gold Rush days when their ancestors were the ones who took the risk of moving west.
Old 09-14-09, 11:31 PM
leamcorp

Bikes: Fuji Team Trek FX Bianchi MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't believe in helmet but I wear one - because I'm so ugly, my helmet makes me look somewhat handsome Thats what I believe and sticking to it. Just go with the flow.
Old 09-14-09, 11:45 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
First the fixed gear trend

Now the helmetless trend

Oh lawd, the cycling world is regressing
Old 09-15-09, 12:23 AM
Totaled108
Truck Driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmets and seat belts should be a personal choice, not enforced my anyone. It only affects the one persons safety. Everyone should know the risks and do what they like on these two matters.

I for one have had seat belts save my life 2 times and a motorcycle helmet save a close friends life (at least his skull, which I'm told has some importance in ones life). So I always buckle the seat belt in any vehicle and strap the brain bucket when on 2 wheeled vehicles.

Drive/ride as if everyone is out to kill you, you'll be a great rider/driver. I should know. I ride my bike 10miles each way to work, get into a tractor trailer (10-18 wheeler) and deliver product to down town PDX and surrounding areas. Even though my feet are above a bike riders head when in the truck, I've got that belt on.

Do what you like, I'll see you all in hell.
Old 09-15-09, 01:17 AM
Ajenkins
Dogs like me.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My daughter's 16th birthday is coming up soon. For her birthday, I'm throwing away her helmet.
Old 09-15-09, 01:44 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe_Mo
I was in an accident this afternoon in fact. huge laceration across my chin. I left with 10 stitches. mouthful of broken teeth. I was wearing my helmet. And the fact that I fell in such a way that it wouldn't have mattered a whole lot if i wasn't wearing the helmet. I landed chin first and stayed flat on the ground. I'd still wear one if I could go back in time and do it over again.
Full face helmets start at $45

Originally Posted by Vault Guru sez:
consider that you will get into an accident tomorrow, thus you will put on your seatbelt or wear your helmet? An accident takes less than a blink of an eye. As with seatbelts, and helmets...you never need them until you need them.
Wearing seatbelts isn't really enough. 6-point harness, full face helmet, neck support collar and helmet straps are also suggested for high-risk driving.

When I'm low-risk bike riding, I wear no helmet. When I'm high-risk bike riding I wear one.
Old 09-15-09, 02:14 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajenkins
My daughter's 16th birthday is coming up soon. For her birthday, I'm throwing away her helmet.
Best antihelmet zealot parody ever.
Old 09-15-09, 03:57 AM
Edamameguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My motto is, better some protection then no protection. Head injury is no joke.
Old 09-15-09, 04:27 AM
Exit.
No lugs? No hugs.

Bikes: '85 Miyata 310, '06 GT Performer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have spent too many days in ER's not to be an advocate for all the protection you can get, including what is between your ears.
So I gather you wear protective head wear when showering, and when using a sidewalk or crosswalk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.