Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'm getting an Orbea Orca!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 12:12 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I think it's going to happen. I've been trying to decide what bike to get for the last few months. Oh the winter months. They are made for dreaming, because the December-January riding in Toronto isn't all together enjoyable right now.

I had originally established an obsession with the Merlin Cyrene. Probably one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever seen. Titanium really does it for me, and the idea of the frame lasting a “life time” (some would say) really appealed to me. Of course, I’m the sort of guy that is going to want to get a new bike in like 3-5 years anyhow, so why spend the extra on Ti if it’s just going to become a trade in.

Well since my price point was already set high, I decided to go for a high end Carbon. Something not too many people have. I think I may have seen like two Orbeas on the road…ever. Plus, Orange is sort of my thing. Hell, Iban Mayo rides one! (Thought I would never be a ‘Lance rides it’ guy, so Orbea is a safe alternative)

So here’s the frame. It’s going to be a custom build. This will be my fourth attempt at a custom build. So satisfying! If you are going to do something right, you may as well do it right from the start.

I’ll be sure to post pics once I get it and start the build. I’m so excited. There won’t be any sleep for the next couple of weeks

I would love to hear some thoughts from people who have an Orca already.

Until next time…
Old 01-17-06, 12:19 PM
DRLski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter in NH isn't that great either, you should be happy with your choice. I myself would probably choose the Opal now that they have that.
Old 01-17-06, 12:47 PM
mermer
Which way back???

Bikes: Cannondale R700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MOST of us hate you!!! Congrats, please post pics of the build.
Old 01-17-06, 12:54 PM
joop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you have planned for wheels, grouppo, etc?
Old 01-17-06, 12:57 PM
mscycler
Orbea Crayola Rider

Bikes: '05 Orbea Onix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should really enjoy that bike. I ride an Onix myself, same orange color, a little different scheme. I have almost 1000 miles on it since June, and I can't be more satisfied. When you finally get it and get it built up, you must post pics...

mscycler
Old 01-17-06, 01:01 PM
SteveAZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice choice! There are quite a few of them around here (probably because the dealer is pretty involved in the cycling scene) and everyone seems to really like them. Myself, I'd love to have one but am too cheap and afraid I'll trash it.
Old 01-17-06, 01:28 PM
The_Convert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were you I would go with the merlin.

My friend has 2 broken orbea orca frames which had to be shipped to Calfee for serious repair. They both had very minor impacts to the top tube and cracked in similar spots. Kinda makes you think of some sort of design weakness. There really is nothing special about the frame anyways. Plus, doesn't Mayo ride the aluminum orbea most of the time anyways?
Old 01-17-06, 01:30 PM
Barcelona rider

Bikes: 2 cannondales

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Cataluña which is an autonomous region on the north east coast of the Iberian Peninsula (Spain, Europe). Orbea here does not have as you Americans say "bling". No Spanish or Catalan person I have ever spoken to like Orbeas. In the same way I have heard many North Americans on this website saying that Cannonales have no "bling" but I myself bought a six13 in November 2005 and people love it here. In general anything homegrown gets whacked. The other day when we did the coast road and there were about 200 riders I saw maybe one Orca and one Onix. The Orca is a smashing bike, chunky and mean! However I did notice in last year's VUELTA that they are twitchy and nervous whilst descending. I think that is why they introduced the OPAL. Good luck with your shiny new Orbea Orca.
Old 01-17-06, 01:58 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Bikes: '06 Orbea Orca, '03 Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, '05 Surly Steamroller, '06 Fetish Fixation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joop
What do you have planned for wheels, grouppo, etc?
Well I actually got a great deal on a set of Ksyrium SSC SL's from last season (new), so they will be a nice addition. I'm going mostly Dura-Ace except for chain and cassett (Ultegra). Hoping for a FSA K-Wing bar, with the K-force stem, and a K-Force seat post. If funds permit. I'm one of those guys who has to have everyting matching. I'm trying to find a Specialized toupe saddle too, but they are harder to find in Canada. Might have to order one in from the states. I can hear my wallet screaming "Oh my god! WHY DO YOU NEED THIS??". Shut up wallet! I leave you at home when I ride.

Anyhow, that's the plan. We'll see what really happens.
Old 01-17-06, 02:00 PM
dragonflybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Onix with orange paint. Apparently I have a thing for orange as well since my other bike is orange and carbon as well. I love my Onix and their paint details are great. I will say that if you have a thing for Ti you might also want to look at the Pedal Force Fusion which is Carbon and Ti with some sweet lug cuts. That is probably the only bike that could possibly sway me away from my Orbea.
Old 01-17-06, 02:13 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what we are working with so far. The suspence makes it all the more exciting.

Nice sign too. Where are all the ladies at?
Old 01-17-06, 03:02 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
the same logic applies to europeans who pay premium for budweiser (the cr@p american version, not budvar), or americans pay premium on hieneken (which is nasty, whether it's in the US, or here in NL).

Originally Posted by Barcelona rider
I live in Cataluña which is an autonomous region on the north east coast of the Iberian Peninsula (Spain, Europe). Orbea here does not have as you Americans say "bling". No Spanish or Catalan person I have ever spoken to like Orbeas. In the same way I have heard many North Americans on this website saying that Cannonales have no "bling" but I myself bought a six13 in November 2005 and people love it here. In general anything homegrown gets whacked.
Old 01-20-06, 04:22 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few updates. Got a quote back for the frame. Ouch! I'm still stoked about it, so there are a few downgrades from the original plan to keep it in the budget.

Keeping the Dura-Ace Brifters and Crank, because they are awesome.
Have to downgrade the Derailers and Brakes from DA to Ultegra. It hurts my pride, and I don't know why. It's silly really. Ultegra is great.

Have to downgrade from the K-force stem to the FSA OS-115. It's actually lighter, and cheeper. So no biggy.

Also have to lower the seat post and saddle a bit. No way I'm touching that K-wing bar though. It's too cool.

Anyhow, just in case anyone was as excited as I am. Will post pics really soon.
Old 01-20-06, 05:31 PM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well done, Sir; Well done. Enjoy the quality ride.
Old 01-20-06, 05:41 PM
AppStateEvan

Bikes: Giant OCR3,Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm an orange fan as well, my Dauphine gets lots of compliments.
Old 01-20-06, 10:01 PM
liasoul

Bikes: Bianchi L'una

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrobinofcoxly
So I think it's going to happen. I've been trying to decide what bike to get for the last few months. Oh the winter months. They are made for dreaming, because the December-January riding in Toronto isn't all together enjoyable right now.

I had originally established an obsession with the Merlin Cyrene. Probably one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever seen. Titanium really does it for me, and the idea of the frame lasting a “life time” (some would say) really appealed to me. Of course, I’m the sort of guy that is going to want to get a new bike in like 3-5 years anyhow, so why spend the extra on Ti if it’s just going to become a trade in.

Well since my price point was already set high, I decided to go for a high end Carbon. Something not too many people have. I think I may have seen like two Orbeas on the road…ever. Plus, Orange is sort of my thing. Hell, Iban Mayo rides one! (Thought I would never be a ‘Lance rides it’ guy, so Orbea is a safe alternative)

So here’s the frame. It’s going to be a custom build. This will be my fourth attempt at a custom build. So satisfying! If you are going to do something right, you may as well do it right from the start.

I’ll be sure to post pics once I get it and start the build. I’m so excited. There won’t be any sleep for the next couple of weeks

I would love to hear some thoughts from people who have an Orca already.

Until next time…

I was obsessed with Cyrene for a long time too. what a beauty!!
I don't own Orca but I've seen them. Cool frame!!
Old 01-20-06, 10:05 PM
blandin
if x=byh then x+1=byn

Bikes: See signature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Getting a new frame and starting a build is almost as fun as riding the finished product. Your Orbea has a striking color scheme and should make for hot bike. Keep us posted as the build progresses.
'03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
'05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
'05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--..-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force
Old 01-29-06, 06:31 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the frame has been ordered. Should arrive Wednesday
Old 01-29-06, 07:06 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrobinofcoxly
Well I actually got a great deal on a set of Ksyrium SSC SL's from last season (new), so they will be a nice addition. I'm going mostly Dura-Ace except for chain and cassett (Ultegra). Hoping for a FSA K-Wing bar, with the K-force stem, and a K-Force seat post. If funds permit. I'm one of those guys who has to have everyting matching. I'm trying to find a Specialized toupe saddle too, but they are harder to find in Canada. Might have to order one in from the states. I can hear my wallet screaming "Oh my god! WHY DO YOU NEED THIS??". Shut up wallet! I leave you at home when I ride.

Anyhow, that's the plan. We'll see what really happens.
Just out of curiousity, what do they ride there?
Old 01-29-06, 07:19 PM
brianappleby
Senior Member?

Bikes: orbea onix, Cervelo SLC, Specialzed Allez, Cervelo P3 Alu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
since the orbea guys all seem to be focusing attention here:
what's the difference between the orca, the onix, and the opal. All are full carbon frames and that's all I know.

Thanks.
B.
Old 01-29-06, 07:29 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SDRider
Just out of curiousity, what do they ride there?
I'm not sure if I understand your question, but if you mean, "what do people ride in T.O?" I can give you an idea. There's a large fixed gear culture that is quickly growing, as well as quite a few intown mountain bikers thanks to the Don Valley trails that are located right in the center of the city. There are quite a few trials and street riders as well. You don't see too many serious road riders here on the road, but that is only because you have to get out of the city to get in any serious ride. There's a little bit of everything I guess. The city is pretty flat from East to west, but fairly hilly north-south, so you can get in just about any sort of riding you want. If i was way off on your question, just let me know.
Old 01-29-06, 07:35 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianappleby
since the orbea guys all seem to be focusing attention here:
what's the difference between the orca, the onix, and the opal. All are full carbon frames and that's all I know.
From the website:

ORCA - The Orca is our flagship - a bike with an unparalleled ride quality, technology and warranty. The engineering is an art form equaled only by the hand-airbrushed paint. Underneath the paint is a precise combination of Formula 1 and aerospace grade M30S high-modulus and T700S medium-modulus carbon fibers. T700S makes the frame very durable and M30S fibers allow Orbea to make a bike that is very light and stiff. As much at home winning stages in the Pyrenees as it is riding a century * both performance and lavish comfort. A lifetime warranty (virtually unheard of for a carbon frameset) and replaceable dropouts insure your investment will pay off in miles of pleasurable rides.
1070g (54cm frame weight)
Suggested Frame Retail: $2,499

OPAL - The gem of the Orbea fleet. Oversized round tubes made entirely of stiff M30S high-modulus fibers make Opal a racer¹s dream. Formula 1 grade carbon fibers in precisely engineered layers insure that this monocoque dream bike is the lightest and most rigid frameset we make. The Opal is nearly 30 percent stiffer than our flagship Orca. Opal excels in the sprint and is devilishly precise in the corners. Carbon dropouts (with a replaceable alloy hanger) add to the stealth look of the Opal and save even more weight. The hand-airbrushed paint is minimal (for lightness) but maintains the signature Orbea look. As with all Orbea frames and forks, the Opal comes with a lifetime warranty so you can ride with confidence.
1050g (54cm frame weight)
Suggested Frame Retail: $2,299

ONIX - When it comes to exhilarating ride quality and uncommon value, nothing compares to an Onix. This frame utilizes the same superior monocoque technology and complex shaping you find in the Orca and Opal at a fraction of the cost. Whereas other bikes in this price range are designed for easy cruising, the Onix is truly capable of mastering every challenge the road serves up. The carbon we have chosen for the Onix includes M30S, T700S and other fibers in a perfectly balanced blend of stiffness, ride quality, and value. Our Spanish artisans have crafted three luxurious paint jobs for the Onix, unheard of for a bike of this price. You can count on Orbea to offer a lifetime warranty on the Onix frame and fork.
1250g (54cm frame weight)
Suggested Frame Retail: $1,599

That doesn't really give you much in the way of differneces though.
Old 01-29-06, 07:38 PM
acathi_cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know those handcuff thingys that connect to breifcases? Well, you should invest in one....in case we ever meet or something.
Old 01-29-06, 07:49 PM
Sirrobinofcoxly
Have bike. Will travel.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acathi_cyclist
You know those handcuff thingys that connect to breifcases? Well, you should invest in one....in case we ever meet or something.
I think I'll invest in a dog with no sense of humor

Last edited by Sirrobinofcoxly; 01-30-06 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-29-06, 08:12 PM
***Butch***
Butchya can't eat just 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not tyring to be jackass or anything, but the Orca would be at the bottom of my list for carbon frames. Everything that I've read indicates that they are flexy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.