Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

cannondale r1000 or Giant TCR 3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-17-06, 04:28 PM
jwarf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Allum traditional frame with killer components/wheel set versus carbon compact frame and 105 group. I think the price is about the same. Entry level racing and rec riding would be the general use. Anyone have any expereicne riding both? Thanks.
Old 01-17-06, 04:31 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts
Steel, go for the steel!
Old 01-17-06, 04:34 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
haven't been on that c'dale, but have plenty experience with a cannondale 2.8 (i would assume it's far from the same ride).

just got a tcr comp 0, and i'm very happy with it, although it won't get any real road time until spring.

don't know the specs on the c'dale, but have you checked the tcr 1 alu w/ultegra.

while cannondale is far from a newcomer, i wouldn't use the term 'traditional' when describing it.
Old 01-17-06, 04:41 PM
james_robert
Pegger

Bikes: devinci chicane, 80's Fuji, 2006 Cannondale R1000, Cannondale Six13 Team Campy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwarf
Allum traditional frame with killer components/wheel set versus carbon compact frame and 105 group. I think the price is about the same. Entry level racing and rec riding would be the general use. Anyone have any expereicne riding both? Thanks.
it depends on how much racing vs. rec riding you will be doing. with an ultegra drivetrain, more aggressive geometry, a stiffer frame, and just generally best overall components and performance, the R1000 is far superior for racing, and also would be great for rec riding, just that for 3+ hours it may get to you because of the stiffness of the alu frame. the R1000 has the CAAD8 frame which is good enough for Damien Cunego, so i think its an amazing bike. GO FOR THE R1000 !!!
Old 01-17-06, 06:47 PM
R900
Double Secret Probation

Bikes: Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Cannondale of course. Ride both and pic your fav, while the Cannondale may not ride as smooth as the Giant, it's a SUPER bike, US built frame, great components, and awesome ride.

John

Last edited by R900; 01-18-06 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-17-06, 07:20 PM
AppStateEvan

Bikes: Giant OCR3,Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale definitely, The Giant has much inferior components. It is a nice frame, but after that your getting less bike for the $$$.
Old 01-18-06, 12:34 PM
botto 

OK, apart from supposedly having better components how is the c'dale "far superior"?

that's a pretty sweeping statement.

are you speaking from experience, having raced on both the R1000 and a tcr comp, or are you just blowing smoke because you have a c'dale?

Originally Posted by james_robert
with an ultegra drivetrain, more aggressive geometry, a stiffer frame, and just generally best overall components and performance, the R1000 is far superior for racing
Old 01-18-06, 01:05 PM
bobby c
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll dissent - I'd go for the Giant. To me the frame is the important thing - you'll most likely be wanting to swap components as go you anyhow. A good CF frame will be the basis of a great ride for many years to come. But as others mentioned, riding both may help you decide....
Old 01-18-06, 01:39 PM
Cycliste

Bikes: Surley LHT, Cannondale R1000, IBEX Ignition, Bianchi Boardwalk, KHS Milano Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding an 05 R1000 since March.

I have to disagree with the 3+ hours comment above, I have ridden 6+ hours centuries with it and did not feel the stiffness of the frame because it ain't. Cannondales frames have come a long way from their earlier models (I own one I used to ride).

If you decide to go for the R1000, look for the following component swap/upgrade:
1. Saddle: the fizik poggio that came with the bike made it back to the shop on the second day, (ouch ), the lbs trade it in for an Arione, wonderful saddle. If I am not mistaken, the 06 model should come with an Arione, not sure.
2. Depending on the choice of crankset you are getting, double or triple, the double comes with a rather agressive cassette range (11-25), I swapped this for an 11-27 which is better for climbing. This may not be an issue with the triple, but check it out.
3. The Hutchinson tires that came stock were crap, did less than 500K with them.

Other than that, everything else remained stock, wonderful bike. The wheels are bombproof. Bike came with lifetime free tuning (not sure whose life this refers to ), not all lbs/brands do that, huge savings.

I haven't riden the GT but in the purchase process I rode "softer" frames than the CAAD8 and did not like them, I guess that is really a personal preference.

One thing you may want to consider while chosing an 105 or Utegra equipped bike is the replacement cost of components, Ultegra 10 cassettes and chains are much more expensive.
Old 01-18-06, 03:37 PM
jwarf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll test em both, I'm sure I can't make a bad choice between these two.
Old 01-18-06, 03:40 PM
56/12 and 22/28
Stop it.

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Hardrock Pro w/ slicks, flipped stem and HB, 2003 Colnago Dream with full Dura-Ace 7700 double, 2001 Bianchi XL Boron/Daytona, Mavic Open Pro/Campy Centaur/DT Champion built wheels.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are they new?

If they are, then buy the 'Dale for one reason.

WARRANTY.

Cannondale's warranty rocks.

Giant's is garbage.
Old 01-18-06, 03:43 PM
djtrackie
wannabe cycling nerd

Bikes: Giant TCR Comp 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go for the Giant (i'm biased) based on the fact that frame material is superior. When you get the money, you can always spend a little money here and there to upgrade to the components that you want. Keep in mind, that the Giant frame by itself retails for over $1500.

I owned a CAAD5 bike for a week before returning and buying the Giant. I liked the look and the value of the cannondale, but when I was riding it, it was too stiff for my enjoyment. You can swap out saddles or tires, but nothing will make more of a difference for the "feel" of the bike than the frame. Keep in mind that the Cannondale has a very aggressive geometry coupled with a stiff aluminum frame. The Giant TCR also has a relatively aggressive geometry but the carbon helps out a lot with comfort and vibratioin reduction.

Also, you won't feel a huge difference in different components if you're new to road biking. You'll feel the biggest difference with a carbon frame.

I would opt for the 10 speed 105 of the 06' TCR vs the 9 speed 05' though. Sheldon brown says that it is very likely that the 06 105 groupo will outperform higher groups because of newer technology.

Ride both, see how they fit. Don't forget to take it to some uneven pavement... that's where the carbon will stand out.
Old 01-18-06, 03:48 PM
bobby c
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 56/12 and 22/28
Giant's is garbage.
From Giant:
Giant Bicycle, Inc. ("Giant") warrants the frame and rigid fork of each new Giant brand bicycle and Giant brand frameset to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the bicycle. Paint finish and all other original components, and all Giant brand repair parts, replacement parts, and accessories, are warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for a period of one year from the original date of purchase. This warranty applies only to bicycles and framesets purchased new from, and assembled by, an Authorized Giant Dealer.

From Cannondale:
FRAMES (frame, fork structure, swing arm): Cannondale frames (except freeride, see below) are warranted by Cannondale Bicycle Corporation, 16 Trowbridge Drive, Bethel, CT 06801 against manufacturing defects in materials and/or workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner.

Components: All other components, including HeadShok forks, suspension parts, frame fixtures and finishes (paint and decals) are warranted against manufacturing defects in materials and/or workmanship for a period of one year from the date of original retail purchase. Suspension forks (other than those made by Cannondale) are not covered by this warranty, but are separately covered by the stated warranty of their manufacturer.
Old 01-18-06, 03:49 PM
botto 

once again i ask - is this based on personal experience?

giant has a lifetime warranty.

Are they new?

If they are, then buy the 'Dale for one reason.

WARRANTY.

Cannondale's warranty rocks.

Giant's is garbage.
Old 01-18-06, 03:54 PM
56/12 and 22/28
Stop it.

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Hardrock Pro w/ slicks, flipped stem and HB, 2003 Colnago Dream with full Dura-Ace 7700 double, 2001 Bianchi XL Boron/Daytona, Mavic Open Pro/Campy Centaur/DT Champion built wheels.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
once again i ask - is this based on personal experience?

giant has a lifetime warranty.
From what I've seen at LBS's.

Giant takes a very long time to replace a frame if you wreck it. If they want to replace it at all.

Cannondale will ship you a new one, even you the only thing wrong with it is was that it is the wrong size.
Old 01-18-06, 03:55 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In either case you could do much worse. Go with what floats your boat.

Personally, I favor the C-dale. Not for the warranty, but because you don't hear from many C-dale Caad8 owners who aren't totally happy with the bike as a whole. It's probably about the best sub $2k race bike out of the box available.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 01-18-06, 04:01 PM
sunninho
Go Titans!!

Bikes: '04 Eddy Merckx Team SC - Record - Rolf Prima Vigor; Andy Hampsten Cinghiale - Dura Ace 7800 - Rolf Elan Aero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For your entry-level racing goals, I would go with the Cannondale for the better components and more aggressive frame geometry.

You can always save up and buy a CF bike later for more casual riding (like century or charity rides) from the likes of Giant, Look, Colnago, Trek, etc.
Old 01-18-06, 04:08 PM
56/12 and 22/28
Stop it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby c
From Giant:
Giant Bicycle, Inc. ("Giant") warrants the frame and rigid fork of each new Giant brand bicycle and Giant brand frameset to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the bicycle. Paint finish and all other original components, and all Giant brand repair parts, replacement parts, and accessories, are warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for a period of one year from the original date of purchase. This warranty applies only to bicycles and framesets purchased new from, and assembled by, an Authorized Giant Dealer.

From Cannondale:
FRAMES (frame, fork structure, swing arm): Cannondale frames (except freeride, see below) are warranted by Cannondale Bicycle Corporation, 16 Trowbridge Drive, Bethel, CT 06801 against manufacturing defects in materials and/or workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner.

Components: All other components, including HeadShok forks, suspension parts, frame fixtures and finishes (paint and decals) are warranted against manufacturing defects in materials and/or workmanship for a period of one year from the date of original retail purchase. Suspension forks (other than those made by Cannondale) are not covered by this warranty, but are separately covered by the stated warranty of their manufacturer.
There.
Old 01-18-06, 04:12 PM
sunninho
Go Titans!!

Bikes: '04 Eddy Merckx Team SC - Record - Rolf Prima Vigor; Andy Hampsten Cinghiale - Dura Ace 7800 - Rolf Elan Aero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, I wouldn't want to worry about crashing during a race or training ride and wondering if there might be any structural damage (invisible to the eye) within the CF frame, especially since you are just starting out.
Old 01-18-06, 04:16 PM
56/12 and 22/28
Stop it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sunninho
Also, I wouldn't want to worry about crashing during a race or training ride and wondering if there might be any structural damage (invisible to the eye) within the CF frame.
There's another great reason.

Not that Cannondale's CAAD 8 frames are over-built, but they are more beef-y than Giant's composite frames.

Plus, the CAAD 8 comes in a staight-up CLEARCOAT with decals.
Old 01-18-06, 04:32 PM
bobby c
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby c
From Giant:

From Cannondale:

56/12 and 22/28 - you are comparing apples & oranges. Read the warranties again, Both Giant & Cannondale offer lifetime warranties on their frames, both Giant & Cannondale offer 1 year on components. You were comparing Giant's warranty on components to Cannondale's warranty on frames.
Old 01-18-06, 06:36 PM
djtrackie
wannabe cycling nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's another great reason.

Not that Cannondale's CAAD 8 frames are over-built, but they are more beef-y than Giant's composite frames.

Plus, the CAAD 8 comes in a staight-up CLEARCOAT with decals.
All I gotta say DIAMOND SHIELD babbyyy...

Old 01-18-06, 06:39 PM
djtrackie
wannabe cycling nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are you sure you want to drop $1500 on an ALUMINUM frame? You think all the pros ride carbon fiber because it's a fad? BTW, the frame on the TCR C3 is the same one on the $5000 TCR C0.
Old 01-18-06, 09:22 PM
james_robert
Pegger

Bikes: devinci chicane, 80's Fuji, 2006 Cannondale R1000, Cannondale Six13 Team Campy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
OK, apart from supposedly having better components how is the c'dale "far superior"?

that's a pretty sweeping statement.

are you speaking from experience, having raced on both the R1000 and a tcr comp, or are you just blowing smoke because you have a c'dale?
both and also i had considered the tcr, and got the backing of my lbs and most everybody i talked to that the R1000 is the better racer. Im sorry i over exaggerated a bit though it isnt "far superior" just quite a bit better. The cannondale has a larger and stiffer bottom bracket for better power transfer, lighter (marginally however) and stiffer frame, better components, more aggressive geometry, so thats why i said it was a better racer. sorry about the over exaggeration though
Old 01-18-06, 09:24 PM
james_robert
Pegger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djtrackie
are you sure you want to drop $1500 on an ALUMINUM frame? You think all the pros ride carbon fiber because it's a fad? BTW, the frame on the TCR C3 is the same one on the $5000 TCR C0.
not all the pros have access to the high grade alu like the caad8 for example because they ride what their team is provided. also, riders like Cunego chose to ride an alu caad8 frame instead of the carbon fiber alu mix that the six13 provides, thats got to be saying something?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.