Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new Saddle - *Selle Italia* - Need Advice

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-29-06, 12:49 PM
Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all! Hope everyone's riding has been good. To those who are injured, get better soon. To those who are healthy, keep workin' hard and get stronger!

I'm currently in the market for a new saddle. I recently went to my LBS and had a fitting done. A few minor adjustments took place; saddle was dropped about 1mm and cleat positioning on my shoes were moved back a bit. From all this I have noticed I can take on the hills better. Anyways, last thing the fitter recommended was for me to look into a seat with a cutout. My main focus is long distances rides (4+ hours) and climbing hills. I currently own the Selle Italia Signo (https://www.probikekit.com/supersize.php?code=s3024).
It's a pretty nice saddle and my @$$ has definately got used to it.

I'm looking into the Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow Trans Am (https://www.probikekit.com/supersize.php?code=s1091), Selle Italia Gel Flow Trans Am (https://www.probikekit.com/supersize.php?code=s1086) and Selle Italia Gel Flow SLC (https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...ory_ID=10050#).

First, what are the main differences between the SLR Trans AM and the non-SLR? Is it pretty much just a weight difference? I wouldn't mind saving some cash over shaving weight off the bike. Second, would the SLC be a good saddle for the longer rides? I'm mainly looking for a saddle the is somewhat similar to my Signo but maybe even better for the long rides and lower back. Unfortunately I cannot test out the saddles before I buy. So I need to make a good choice and stick with it. Any opinions are much appreciated. And if you ride any of these saddles please chime in with how they feel.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I weigh 160lbs!
Old 08-29-06, 05:31 PM
Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone?
Old 08-29-06, 05:55 PM
Biggziff
not as fat as I was

Bikes: Trek 7000, Trek 5500, Fuji Newest 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm no expert, but from what I've read here, gel saddles are best for short rides as the gel will deform and put pressure on areas you don't want pressure on. I'm experiencing that with my current Serfas gel saddle on rides over 15 miles. I'm looking at something like a Brooks or the Selle an-atomica for longer rides. Apparently, harder saddles are best for longer rides.

Good luck
Old 08-30-06, 12:17 PM
Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No one here actually rides on any of these saddles mentioned?
Old 08-30-06, 01:39 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Harder saddles are definitely NOT best for longer rides. I've been there.
The two most common pro saddles are the Flite and the SLR gel flow. These guys spend 6 hours/day racing, and NONE use Toupes or minimal carbon saddles.
I've owned the transam and now ride the SLR gel flow (Also tried the SSM Aspide and SKN, Toupe).
The transam is wider, and heavier. SLR works for me, but so does the San Marco SKN ($45!).

You need to know what width works for you, take this from your current saddle. Next, the saddle stiffness, which will depend on your weight.

Gel is better than foam padding, it does not deform, but it does prevent abrasions.

Old 08-30-06, 01:43 PM
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Bikes: Road, mountain and folding

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have two roadbikes: one with an E3 gel and the other with an Aspide Arrowhead. The Aspide is on a new bike that I have had for less than a month. I am still trying to decide if I should replace it with the E3, which I find more comfortable.
Old 08-30-06, 02:00 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
Harder saddles are definitely NOT best for longer rides. I've been there.
The two most common pro saddles are the Flite and the SLR gel flow. These guys spend 6 hours/day racing, and NONE use Toupes or minimal carbon saddles.
I've owned the transam and now ride the SLR gel flow (Also tried the SSM Aspide and SKN, Toupe).
The transam is wider, and heavier. SLR works for me, but so does the San Marco SKN ($45!).

You need to know what width works for you, take this from your current saddle. Next, the saddle stiffness, which will depend on your weight.

Gel is better than foam padding, it does not deform, but it does prevent abrasions.
I ride the plain old SLR and I've been on the bike for many 4+ hour rides and haven't had any real problems...Any issues have been a result of the shorts and not the saddle...I never get numb and at worst there might be a slight bit of chafing that is easily taken care of...

Just pointing out that hard saddles do work...Everyone's butt is different so what works for one person won't work for the next...
Old 08-30-06, 02:07 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by rbart4506
Just pointing out that hard sadles do work...Everyone's butt is different so what works for one person won't work for the next...
Alot of people say this, but looking at what pros use will reveal some truths, like the fact that nobody uses ultralite carbon saddles for a day of racing.
Also, some people who have chronic saddle trouble need to learn better riding technique, at high cadence in the drops, you shouldn't be sitting on the saddle at all, just straddling it. Problems occur when people sit on a saddle and don't shift position by riding the drops or lifting off the saddle out of corners. Watch the pros, they are constantly off the saddle and shifting position.

oh, and price does not dictate a good saddle, and most are wayyy overpriced for plastic, 8 square inches of leather and two small tubes of ti.

Old 08-30-06, 03:51 PM
goldfish
the great shark hunt

Bikes: 2005 Cervélo Soloist w/ Campag Chorus (06/07 parts mix), 2001 Cervélo Prodigy w/ Campag Centaur '06, Giant Bowery Fixed-Gear, old steel black '70s bike waiting for FG build, trusty red SS mountain bike waiting for snow-bike build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DocRay, just for arguments sake:

Fabian Wegmann(Gerolsteiner) uses the 99g Selle Italia SLR Teknologika. (see page 21 of the most recent ProCycling mag)

Several riders on most teams sponsored by Selle Italia will ride the regular SLR...

I really agree with you that saddles are way overpriced, though it probably won't stop me from spending lots of money on my next saddle.

I ride with the standard SLR w/o any appreciable padding and have had no problems
Old 08-30-06, 04:51 PM
bikeybikebike
Economists do it w/models

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an SLR Gel Flow.
I don't find that the gel "deforms", as the gel is actually more of a thin-dense layer as opposed to a plush cushion. It offers some flex and fits me bum, so it's great for me.
Old 08-30-06, 04:53 PM
-VELOCITY-

Bikes: Giant Revel 2 & Loco Fixie "The Marley"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you really set on getting this saddle or would you consider others. I would recommend a Brooks B-17. Very comfortable for long rides.
Old 08-30-06, 04:59 PM
AppStateEvan

Bikes: Giant OCR3,Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find my Arione to be comfortable for over 4 hours. I have never gotten sore on it.
Old 08-30-06, 06:33 PM
fhall1

Bikes: Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a Selle San Marco Aspide Arrowhead Ti Saddle to replace the stock Bontrager Race saddle on my Trek 5200 which was making my nether parts numb (no cut out) At first I didn't think I was going to like the Aspide, because instead of numbness, my sit bones felt sore after about 20 miles. But after about a week or so of riding either the saddle or my butt (or both) conformed to the other and it feels great for long rides.
Old 08-30-06, 06:51 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MillCreek
I have two roadbikes: one with an E3 gel and the other with an Aspide Arrowhead. The Aspide is on a new bike that I have had for less than a month. I am still trying to decide if I should replace it with the E3, which I find more comfortable.
I have an Aspide Arrowhead in my spare parts pile. That is the least comfortable saddle I've ever tried. My SI Pro-link lite gel is very comfy for me on rides of up to 80 or so miles.
Old 10-13-06, 11:03 AM
cdr700

Bikes: trail, commuter & road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find you get used to whatever saddle you're using. I have a Selle Italia SLR gel flow, have over 4k on it and really like it even though I've been told its too narrow for me...hmm is that a compliment..or... I agree with you I understand the Trans Am is a nice saddle, I'm trying to find one too.
Old 10-13-06, 11:15 AM
Dubbayoo

Bikes: Pedal Force QS3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I found that my satisfaction level with my Selle Italia Turbomatic 3 went up drastically once I:

a. leveled the saddle out
b. started riding more

I never did like my Selle San Marco Concord.
Old 10-13-06, 12:22 PM
uberclkgtr

Bikes: 1993 Specialized Allez, 2003 Gios A70 Ultralite, 2002 Rossin Synthesis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The SLC is narrower than the two Trans-Am saddles. If you're comfortable with your current saddle, keep it, or if you have to get a new one, try one that is a similar width. That Prolink one looks really comfy.

To look at specs of the saddles (width, etc) check https://www.selleitalia.com/
Old 10-13-06, 05:09 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride the ProLink transAm and I like it. Hard, but with a cut-out.

- Will Rogers
Old 10-13-06, 06:15 PM
Mojo GoGo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In terms of finding a saddle you like I can make two recommendations. Buy from Performance (as they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee) or buy a Terry saddle. My LBS told me that Terry saddles are made by Selle Italia and that they have a customer satisfaction program where you buy their saddle, try it, and if you don't like it you can return it for credit towards a different Terry saddle.
Old 10-13-06, 09:09 PM
Scooped

Bikes: Guru new steel Lotus converted fixed Jamis sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Pro Link Gel lite I thought was great but after 4 hrs my butt was numb. I tried the SMP Strike Eveloution this saddle has the closest specs to the pro link. what a great saddle! 2 centuries in August and no numb butt and the boys were never happier!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0280.JPG (89.6 KB, 30 views)