Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage-Style Saddle Bag?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-30-10, 11:05 PM
Baroudeur

Bikes: 198? Colnago Sprint (Columbus SL), 199? Specialized Allez Epic (carbon), 19?? Peugeot Optimum (Reynolds 531)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've been looking for a saddle bag for my bike, and, since I haven't fallen in love with any of the bags I've seen, I thought I'd ask for some professional advice! I'm looking for a black (leather, hopefully) saddle bag to match my saddle and bar tape... so far, I've mostly considered the Brooks Challenge, but I think it's probably smaller than I'm going to want. What saddle bag should I go for?
Old 05-30-10, 11:40 PM
shopgirl

Bikes: a heavy old steel Frankenbike Gitane, a cruiser (not something I'd buy for myself, but it was a gift, what can you do?), a Greg Lemond, a Specialized Stumpjumper(old, steel, fully rigid), and a Specialized Safire

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What do you need to carry?
Old 05-31-10, 12:27 AM
Baroudeur

Bikes: 198? Colnago Sprint (Columbus SL), 199? Specialized Allez Epic (carbon), 19?? Peugeot Optimum (Reynolds 531)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not all that much: two or three spanners, a screwdriver, a rag, and perhaps a spare tube. Hopefully I'd have room for a wallet, phone, and camera also, which is why I think I might like something larger than the Challenge... but I can carry those things elsewhere if necessary.
Old 05-31-10, 12:30 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Made my own from a 1930's school bag... fitted modern bag clips to the back and keep it secured with a bunjee cord.

It carries a ton of stuff as it expands and has three compartments inside... can carry my lunch, tools, pump, folding cane, laptop, and rain gear and still have room to spare.

Old 05-31-10, 12:44 AM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hmmm...so you want more of a "tool holder" than an actual "saddle bag", correct?

Challenge looks nice. If color and material (in your case leather) matter to you that much, I'd say go with the Challenge or (if you're game for something bigger) the Millbrook.
Old 05-31-10, 05:23 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
What about a Carradice? Design has not changed since the vintage days, they're a lot cheaper (at comparable sizing) than the Brooks, and there's a wide range of sizes. Wiggle in the UK is by far the cheapest place to order one.
Old 05-31-10, 06:33 AM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My experience with the Challenger is that it holds, 3 irons, a patch kit, my ID and a few dollars, stuff a tube in it ad it gets out of shape. I picked this old Raliegh bag up at a yard sale, not too large, leather, but required a support which I got from VO. I see these bags or simular ones on ebay from time to time. This one hold: irons, 2 tubes, wallet, cell-phone and an apple. It's still small enough that it does not bang your legs.
Old 05-31-10, 08:26 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Have you look at Acorn bags?

https://acornbags.com/

I have the medium saddlebag, which is probably bigger than you want, but it's very nicely made and very useful.

Neal
Old 05-31-10, 08:58 AM
elguicho 
Restore, ride, repeat...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made my own out of an old camera bag for my wife's peugeot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P5170016..jpg (100.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg
P5170012..jpg (86.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 05-31-10, 10:42 AM
shopgirl

Bikes: a heavy old steel Frankenbike Gitane, a cruiser (not something I'd buy for myself, but it was a gift, what can you do?), a Greg Lemond, a Specialized Stumpjumper(old, steel, fully rigid), and a Specialized Safire

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I vote for Acorn bags. Those are the ones I've been meaning to get for myself (just as soon as I stop buying bikes... after I buy the bike I'm currently looking for... yeah.)
Old 05-31-10, 11:07 AM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
And, of course, there is the Dooney & Bourke line of randonneuring saddle and handlebar bags.

Old 05-31-10, 05:24 PM
Baroudeur

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all the advice!
Old 05-31-10, 05:37 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I like my Minnehaha saddlebags - I've got two. Here's the one on my Phillips:

Wendy wanted to check it out:

I've found that it'll hold a pair of shoes, pants, shirt, belt, and breakdown equipment.
Old 05-31-10, 05:40 PM
Andrew F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the Acorn bags but they are never in stock, Velo Orange has a some nice traditonal bags. If red and white is your thing, I saw a 50's saddle bag on e-bay Saturday.
Old 05-31-10, 05:49 PM
MacCruiskeen
Junior Mint

Bikes: Trek 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elguicho
I made my own out of an old camera bag for my wife's peugeot.
Hey, I have an old camera bag exactly like that one! Must be almost 40 years old. I wish I'd thought of that before I went out and bought a trunk bag.
Old 05-31-10, 06:33 PM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have an Acorn, which I really like.
Old 06-01-10, 07:40 PM
elguicho 
Restore, ride, repeat...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MacCruiskeen
Hey, I have an old camera bag exactly like that one! Must be almost 40 years old. I wish I'd thought of that before I went out and bought a trunk bag.
I found it at a garage sale and I just thought it would look nice with the leather saddle.
Old 06-02-10, 08:14 AM
akcapbikeforums

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Here are some very cool black leather saddlebags, courtesy of Steppinthefunk. I got a pair of these, and removed the small zipper tabs that Steppinthefunk left on his -- I feel the small zipper taps detract somewhat. The bags are Willie and Max Standard Series Straight Saddlebags 11" x 12" x 3.5", msrp $120.99, I got mine for $45. They have small plastic clips at each buckle, so you never really have to "unbuckle" the saddlebags.

See this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ntage-ish-Bags

and this one too:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-100%28PICS%29

and about Steppinthefunk's beautiful rack idea:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...nd-a-rear-rack

Last edited by akcapbikeforums; 06-02-10 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-02-10, 09:17 AM
elbertus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
homebrew tool roll????

I have been searching around for a nice, small, vintage style saddle bag to hang off my vintage Brooks B72. There are some nice new ones out there that just look too new for what I was after. The brooks stuff is nice looking but pricey. Which led me to consider making one - found a source for oilcloth on line, was thinking about getting my sister in law who likes to sew to make up a simple roll. Figured I could get some simple leather dog collars to use as the straps to attach it to the saddle and provide closure.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 06-02-10, 12:48 PM
akcapbikeforums

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by elbertus
I have been searching around for a nice, small, vintage style saddle bag to hang off my vintage Brooks B72. There are some nice new ones out there that just look too new for what I was after. The brooks stuff is nice looking but pricey. Which led me to consider making one - found a source for oilcloth on line, was thinking about getting my sister in law who likes to sew to make up a simple roll. Figured I could get some simple leather dog collars to use as the straps to attach it to the saddle and provide closure.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Consider starting a thread with your question... and not threadjacking this one?
Old 06-02-10, 02:01 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
i just picked up a new carradice barley, in black, for $44 shipped from the UK. got it from wiggle.co.uk. very vintage looking, especially the black version:

here's my 1960s communist-era czechoslovakian school bag, repurposed as a pannier bag. been in my family since new. no modification necessary, the shoulder strap unbuckles leaving two short buckle loops perfect for affixing to a rack:

Old 06-02-10, 02:54 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zimbale 11 liter on mine. Haven't used it yet, other than getting it on.

So far I have put a tool kit in the left pocket, stashed some granola bars and my cable and padlock in the main compartment, along with bike tube and plan on putting a first aid kit in the right pocket. Should be able to hold my mini-laptop in the main compartment and an extra shirt/sweater. I need to get some straps to lash my jacket on the outside and a shoulder strap for the bag.
Old 06-04-10, 02:56 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by politicalgeek
Zimbale 11 liter on mine. Haven't used it yet, other than getting it on.

So far I have put a tool kit in the left pocket, stashed some granola bars and my cable and padlock in the main compartment, along with bike tube and plan on putting a first aid kit in the right pocket. Should be able to hold my mini-laptop in the main compartment and an extra shirt/sweater. I need to get some straps to lash my jacket on the outside and a shoulder strap for the bag.
I got the same bag a couple of months ago, glad I got the 11 liter instead of the 7. I don't have anything bad to say about it, the quick release type leather buckles are awesome. I have made use of the long flap a hand full of times when I stuffed the bag to the gills. One thing is for sure, the bag was unruly until I got a Carradice bagman support for it.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)