Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I'm thinking of going through the custom steel process

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-13, 01:06 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Elephant Bikes will be the maker. Here's the deal.

I'm not absurdly proportioned, off the shelf bikes fit me fine. I'll be racing m1 next year, team bike provided, so I won't need any of my current bikes.

My want is to replace my old Concorde squadra tsx with modern steel, bb30 and isp. I like the welded/filet brazed aesthetic, powder coated.

SRAM Force/red,group, I'll build some wide rim wheels on h + son archetype rims. Good plan?
Old 11-23-13, 02:00 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Excellent. I would go with the most advanced steel tubing you can afford. The stainless, ultra-high strength Reynolds if you can find any. Otherwise one of the non-stainless types but in the air hardened, heat treated, high strength variety. I don't know much about Elephant, but hopefully they know how to put together a really light frame, <3.5 lb. I would go with a carbon fork. There is some room for argument about this, but I think it only makes sense. As far as the components are concerned, the Force-Red mix is a great idea. Force derailleurs and brakes where the performance is great and the weight penalty is small. Red cassette where you can get a really nice weight savings. I'm not sure which levers to go with. You should really like the result.
Old 11-23-13, 02:04 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Excellent. I would go with the most advanced steel tubing you can afford. The stainless, ultra-high strength Reynolds if you can find any. Otherwise one of the non-stainless types but in the air hardened, heat treated, high strength variety. I don't know much about Elephant, but hopefully they know how to put together a really light frame, <3.5 lb. I would go with a carbon fork. There is some room for argument about this, but I think it only makes sense. As far as the components are concerned, the Force-Red mix is a great idea. Force derailleurs and brakes where the performance is great and the weight penalty is small. Red cassette where you can get a really nice weight savings. I'm not sure which levers to go with. You should really like the result.
Ritchey carbon fork is standard. true temper is their standard tube set with 853, OX platinum and S3 as $200 options
Old 11-23-13, 02:25 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by pdedes
Ritchey carbon fork is standard. true temper is their standard tube set with 853, OX platinum and S3 as $200 options
The Ritchey Pro fork is excellent.
Old 11-23-13, 02:48 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why steel? Why custom?

rpenmanparker is right that if you go this route, you should go high end. The modern oversized heat-treated steels ride far better than traditional 4130 or 531 and the like.
Old 11-23-13, 03:22 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Why steel? Why custom?

rpenmanparker is right that if you go this route, you should go high end. The modern oversized heat-treated steels ride far better than traditional 4130 or 531 and the like.
I have a carbon bike. My team bike will be carbon. What I want is the bit of flex that comes with an ISP like my carbon bike in steel.
Old 11-23-13, 03:58 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'd say go 853 or OX platinum from what I have read. Otherwise that sounds great. I am partial to Enve fork's myself though.
Old 11-23-13, 04:43 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
I have a carbon bike. My team bike will be carbon. What I want is the bit of flex that comes with an ISP like my carbon bike in steel.
Does an ISP on steel really make much sense? You can get as much flex as you want without it and it seems like it would be heavier than a nice aluminum seat post. No?

BTW, definitely go fillet brazed over TIG welded. It looks much nicer. After all, if you just want a nice TIG welded steel frame you may as well get a Jamis Eclipse.
Old 11-23-13, 05:00 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Glen Copus is the builder, he uses a combination of welding and filet brazing. I won't interfere in his methodology. But I have been a fan of the isp in terms of comfort, and I think it will translate in steel. If I don't like it, i can always cut it off
Old 11-23-13, 05:40 PM
qqy
▒▒▒▒▒▒

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should really ask the builder, not the internet, and have faith in the result. Each builder specializes in certain styles and materials. Tell him what you want, and he'll tell you have you need.
Old 11-23-13, 05:49 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by qqy
You should really ask the builder, not the internet, and have faith in the result. Each builder specializes in certain styles and materials. Tell him what you want, and he'll tell you have you need.
This. Go for it. I believe you will be pleased with the results.
Old 11-23-13, 05:53 PM
halfspeed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by qqy
Lots of old school builders work that way. Tell them what you want out of the bike, ride with them for a while and then they build you something. OTOH, a friend of mine let a builder run wild and ended up with this:

He loves it.
Old 11-23-13, 07:16 PM
qqy
▒▒▒▒▒▒

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is unbelievably awesome. Forget what I said and just get a custom singlespeed fatbike. The fatter, the better.
Old 11-23-13, 07:57 PM
2 wheeler
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qqy
Say what?
Old 11-23-13, 08:27 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Lots of old school builders work that way. Tell them what you want out of the bike, ride with them for a while and then they build you something. OTOH, a friend of mine let a builder run wild and ended up with this:

He loves it.
I don't think he has to worry about how much weight disc brakes adds
Old 11-24-13, 07:04 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by qqy
Umm, not exactly. There are two kinds of people... Yep, there are those who think like you and there are others who appreciate and utilize the advice of the knowledgeable builder but who want to keep control of the process themselves. I see no inherent advantage to either approach. It is all about personality. The latter are usually (hopefully) quite knowledgeable themselves. Falling into that latter category myself I appreciate how OP may not wish to just give it up to the whim of a builder, but rather express his own preferences in the process. Naturally I hope anyone going about it this way will be sensitive to such advice from the builder like for instance, "You just can't do it that way," or "At your weight, riding style, power output, etc. that gauge tubing is just not a good idea." But that is very different from just saying to someone, "Look at me and listen to me, then build me a bike!" Many folks just want to be more involved in the nitty-gritty.
Old 11-24-13, 07:07 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
if you want a non-carbon bike, wht's the advantage of steel over ti?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 11-24-13, 07:26 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
or aluminum?

You already know the answer.
Old 11-24-13, 07:29 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
or aluminum?

You already know the answer.
no i don't.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 11-24-13, 07:41 AM
rpenmanparker 

OP says he wants both steel and custom. First there is the ride quality. I am not saying one is better than the other, but their reputations are certainly different. One might simply like what one has heard about steel better than about Ti. There could be history with steel that is guiding the choice. There is a significant price differential between custom steel and custom Ti. There are also many more custom steel builders than custom Ti builders. It is easier to decorate steel than Ti. I can't say these are the reasons for OP's choice, but they are some of the factors to consider.
Old 11-24-13, 07:49 AM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go for it. Steel has an incredible, lively ride if built properly. It's one I haven't found in carbon bikes yet (I've ridden many, but not all, by any stretch).

And, the process and the idea that you have one of a kind is rewarding in itself.
Old 11-24-13, 08:19 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
no i don't.
There aren't any of consequence. Whatever differences there are in the materials can be minimized by how the frame is designed and fabricated. This has been said by others in the know countless times and it's true.
Old 11-24-13, 08:23 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
There aren't any of consequence. Whatever differences there are in the materials can be minimized by how the frame is designed and fabricated. This has been said by others in the know countless times and it's true.
i'm not in the know.

Old 11-24-13, 08:49 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ti winds up being not stiff enough for me unless it's way overbuilt, and then it's weight advantages are minimized.
Old 11-24-13, 10:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
That Peacock-thingy fat bike is sweet; the color matched calipers too outrageous! Dunno why one would want single speed, but hey, I'm sure it's not the only bike they've got!

BTW, what is this ISP you guys are talking about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.