Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

On Your Left - Humor

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

On Your Left - Humor

Old 11-19-21, 04:47 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
On Your Left - Humor

This site could use a little levity.
https://www.newyorker.com/humor/dail...s-on-your-left
Extract
Cyclist says: On your left.
My brain says: There’s a cyclist approaching on your left, so don’t walk in that direction.
What my body does: Moves left.

Cyclist says: On your left.
My brain says: “On your left” means don’t move left.
What my body does: Moves left.
Old 11-19-21, 07:17 PM
astrodust

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Bells may not be "cool", but I've found them to work much better then yelling out on your left. I think some people get confused as to what you are saying, but everyone recognizes a bike bell. Not to mention that hearing someone yell out when you think you're alone can be scary.
Likes For astrodust:
Old 11-19-21, 07:57 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I hate that 1990”s saying. I ding my bell.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 11-19-21, 08:00 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 891 Posts
I scream "WATCH OUT WATCH OUT WATCH OUT NO BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKES!!!" And they split like the Red Sea.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-19-21, 08:01 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 891 Posts
Yes, seriously, I do this if there's a crowd. No risking them scattering like cockroaches back and forth.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 11-19-21, 10:34 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by astrodust
Bells may not be "cool", but I've found them to work much better then yelling out on your left. I think some people get confused as to what you are saying, but everyone recognizes a bike bell. Not to mention that hearing someone yell out when you think you're alone can be scary.
Not everyone can hear or even reacts to the bike bell. So you have to prepare to use your secondary warning system.

Last edited by Daniel4; 11-20-21 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-20-21, 01:28 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Not everyone can hear or even reacts to the bike bell. So you have to prepare to use your secondardy warning system.
What I find very interesting on the rail-trails here in Waterloo Region (Ontario, Canada) is that ringing a bicycle bell causes most people on the rail-trail to stop and look UP! No kidding. I told a bicycling buddy about that and he put a bell on his bike and tried it and got the same result. Do people walking on rail-trails here think that the ringing bicycle bell is from ET and his friends in the sky?

Not only that, with many walkers no wearing earbuds on a high volume setting, they don't even hear a bell. I would use a boat air-horn if not for the fact I don't want to ruin the experience of those out to see critters and/or birds.

Cheers
Old 11-20-21, 07:06 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
THANK YOU

did not know any New Yorker article could be so short. I'm used to reading page after page after page. now I'm wondering about the writer's motivation & if they ever ride a bike themselves
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-20-21, 08:12 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
THANK YOU

now I'm wondering about the writer's motivation & if they ever ride a bike themselves
This is A&S, speculate away

Be sure to include the magic buzz words that apply to almost everything here: cellphones and texting, bad drivers, clueless pedestrians, and a conspiracy theory involving law officers, government officials and powerful interests motivated by opposition or indifference to the rights of bicyclists everywhere.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 11-20-21, 10:34 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
That is why I just always yell passing. They almost always move right.
Old 11-20-21, 10:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
The one that really annoyed me was the old guy in the walker behind me that yelled "on your left"
Likes For rydabent:
Old 11-20-21, 10:59 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
I friend of mine said he was tried of the On Your Left mother f---ers on the bike paths.

I told him I resembled that remark.

When I pass someone I yell out, "On your left mother f---er!"
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 11-20-21, 05:01 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 278 Posts
I'm not fond of bells because they seem to me to be akin to honking your horn behind the car in front of you while driving, or walking up behind a fellow pedestrian and yelling "MOVE!" I would also think a voice would be less jarring than a sudden loud bell behind you. (Bell on friend's tandem is just for when voice doesn't work. Sometimes she will still ring when she hears me say "On your left!" but I did have to let her know that she didn't have to lay on the bell hard unless I told her she needed to, lol. I don't want to run over pedestrians because they're jumping out of their skins at overzealous ringing... she was having a lot of fun with that bell but it was freaking people out!)

Originally Posted by Miele Man
What I find very interesting on the rail-trails here in Waterloo Region (Ontario, Canada) is that ringing a bicycle bell causes most people on the rail-trail to stop and look UP! No kidding. I told a bicycling buddy about that and he put a bell on his bike and tried it and got the same result. Do people walking on rail-trails here think that the ringing bicycle bell is from ET and his friends in the sky?

Not only that, with many walkers no wearing earbuds on a high volume setting, they don't even hear a bell. I would use a boat air-horn if not for the fact I don't want to ruin the experience of those out to see critters and/or birds.

Cheers
That surprises me... so many phones have a "bell" notification sound, and it seems to be so popular, that I would think people would all look at their phones. (I've said this before but) when I bought my friend a bell for her tandem, I specifically bought one that sounded like a bike bell. The little "ting" bells sounded very nice, but I didn't want us trying to alert someone that we were coming and instead of moving and/or looking around, they stop and pull their phone out...
Old 11-20-21, 08:17 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
I yell, "bike behind you" and let them decide.
Old 11-21-21, 06:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
"Passing on your left". Works better than anything else. Nothing is perfect.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-21-21, 04:09 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
"Passing on your left". Works better than anything else. Nothing is perfect.
Me too. Not 100%, but pretty close.

Is it wrong to be annoyed by people who see me calmly approaching in the left lane of the MUT and scramble out of the way anyway? Half the time I ring my bell and call out to alert the dog(s); never startle the dog(s). There's plenty of room, I'm passing at 10mph or less, and they still jump off the trail like I'm an approaching SUV.
Old 11-22-21, 07:10 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
The secret to a safe and courteous interaction is to slow to a minimal speed disparity as you approach. That's what I do. If I see ear buds, I very slowly ease around them. If I don't see buds, I say in a conversational tone "I am easing around YOUR left." Then I ease around and say something polite when I do. Kids always get complimented on their bike and dogs are often told they are good doggies.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 11-22-21, 08:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
The secret to a safe and courteous interaction is to slow to a minimal speed disparity as you approach. That's what I do. If I see ear buds, I very slowly ease around them. If I don't see buds, I say in a conversational tone "I am easing around YOUR left." Then I ease around and say something polite when I do. Kids always get complimented on their bike and dogs are often told they are good doggies.

Obviously, we all basically operate from a position of n=1, so I'm not claiming you're wrong and I'm right, only that we have different approaches and let's take it as a statement of good faith that our perceptions that our methods are working are valid.

I don't rely on slowing as much as you do, what I find is the startle and annoyance is greatest when I make the announcement too close to the actual pass. I therefore announce a bit further back than other people I observe and don't slow that much unless there's a) other people on the path, b) dogs or c) children (those add too much unpredictability not to slow). Generally, I announce pretty far back in as friendly a voice as I can muster, then thank the person as I actually pass. I get a lot of thank yous back, and I don't recall any such encounter turning sour. On the other hand, I find that if I don't announce until I'm close, it doesn't matter how slow I'm going, I'm very likely to get that startled response. I've had that happen at less than 5 mph.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-22-21, 08:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
what I find is the startle and annoyance is greatest when I make the announcement too close to the actual pass. I therefore announce a bit further back than other people I observe and don't slow that much unless there's a) other people on the path, b) dogs or c) children (those add too much unpredictability not to slow). Generally, I announce pretty far back in as friendly a voice as I can muster, then thank the person as I actually pass. I get a lot of thank yous back, and I don't recall any such encounter turning sour. On the other hand, I find that if I don't announce until I'm close, it doesn't matter how slow I'm going, I'm very likely to get that startled response. I've had that happen at less than 5 mph.
I never made the connection of distance not startling the person you are passing. But with some exceptions for very noob walkers and cyclist, I think you are on to something there.

One of the benefits to me from announcing as reasonably far away as I can be heard is that I get to see their reaction in time for me to react.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-22-21, 09:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Iride01
I never made the connection of distance not startling the person you are passing. But with some exceptions for very noob walkers and cyclist, I think you are on to something there.

One of the benefits to me from announcing as reasonably far away as I can be heard is that I get to see their reaction in time for me to react.

One of the reasons I'm always so careful to say "this is what works for me" is that I've done enough public speaking and a little stage acting so that I'm very adept at announcing loudly without sounding like I'm bellowing. People's voices vary so much that I don't know whether they could announce as far back as I do and have it be effective and/or perceived as non-hostile.

I first noticed the startle effect at a street fair. The street was blocked off, and I pedaled my bike at about walking speed (definitely less than 3 mph). I was behind an old man, maybe 10 feet back before I decided I could pass him a good 7-8 feet to his left. As I passed him at maybe 5 mph, he actually yelled because he was so startled, and said something about me nearly hitting him. From his perspective, it looked like I flew out of nowhere and then slowed, I guess. Whereas, if they know I'm coming, I can pass at 20 mph, and it's a total non-event, provided the path is wide enough so we're not right next to each other.
Old 11-22-21, 10:19 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Obviously, we all basically operate from a position of n=1, so I'm not claiming you're wrong and I'm right, only that we have different approaches and let's take it as a statement of good faith that our perceptions that our methods are working are valid.

I don't rely on slowing as much as you do, what I find is the startle and annoyance is greatest when I make the announcement too close to the actual pass. I therefore announce a bit further back than other people I observe and don't slow that much unless there's a) other people on the path, b) dogs or c) children (those add too much unpredictability not to slow). Generally, I announce pretty far back in as friendly a voice as I can muster, then thank the person as I actually pass. I get a lot of thank yous back, and I don't recall any such encounter turning sour. On the other hand, I find that if I don't announce until I'm close, it doesn't matter how slow I'm going, I'm very likely to get that startled response. I've had that happen at less than 5 mph.

I do get an occasional startled response, but never an unpredictable response. I have never had anyone move left.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 11-22-21, 10:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I do get an occasional startled response, but never an unpredictable response. I have never had anyone move left.

I've had it happen a few times, but it's almost always been headphone wearers. I think the actually confused person moving the wrong way scenario has probably occurred twice in several years, and really was more amusing than dangerous. I had plenty of room to adjust to itbecause of the early announcement. I put in so many miles on MUPs that even really unlikely events are bound to occur at sometime regardless of how carefully I ride. Just a silly example--after going about 35 years without a single bee sting, I got stung by bees twice in 2 weeks this year.

Dogs and toddlers can't help being unpredictable. I generally slow to a crawl, especially with the kids on bikes or a loose or nonexistent leash on a dog.

All I'm saying re your post is that there's more than one safe and courteous way to skin this particular cat (which is a really weird expression).
Old 11-22-21, 10:58 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

All I'm saying re your post is that there's more than one safe and courteous way to skin this particular cat (which is a really weird expression).
No doubt. Different means to the same end, which is a safe, courteous interaction. I mention my method in most of these discussions so folks can consider it, and maybe try it to see how it works out for them. It's certainly not the only way to get the job done.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 11-22-21, 12:37 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
She's a comedian. I find her funny.

p.s. She's not an artist. Well, not a visual artist. But I find her funny. And prescient.

Updated Museum Etiquette for 2019 | The New Yorker

-mr. bill
Old 11-22-21, 03:10 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I say 'Hello' from a distance to give a bit of time for a reaction which is usually a look over one shoulder or the other a brief re-balancing and then a move to the side. As I approach I may have to say hello more than once.
Likes For noisebeam:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.