Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

‘80s Lotus Excelle Dumpster rescue

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-22, 11:56 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts

Daughter scored/rescued a Lotus Excelle from a Dumpster near where she lives. She was initially going to pass on it but after a text to me, went back and picked it up. This weekend, it made its way to my garage and is awaiting a closer look and (at the very least) a fluff & buff! Checking the Asian serial # data base, found that the KN 012xx to be less than specific RE: date of manufacture. The data base says to consider Pacific, Tsunoda or Yamaguchi formats. Prolly not Pacific as the frame has a made in Japan sticker on the seat post. Seems to fit the Tsunoda format (YFxxxxx) but the data base lacks details for the Y & F. Remnants of a registration sticker shows ‘81-‘82 meaning it couldn’t be newer than 1981. I’ll post some pics later for those that can determine vintage by visual exam.
The component group is mostly Shimano. Shimano 600 friction levers (band mounted) as well as front and rear Shimano 600 derailleurs. Brakes are Shimano 500 center pulls. Odd half yoke arrangement. Stem and handlebar by SR. Super Maxy 170mm crank arms with MKS Quill K2 pedals. Shimano hubs with Shimano QR levers. Ukai 27 x 1 1/4 aluminum rims.
Don’t exactly know where the Excelle model fits into the Lotus product line but the foam grips on the handlebar and the “suicide” brake levers don’t exactly scream “top of the line”!
Comments welcome. Will post some pics later this weekend.

Last edited by sovende; 01-22-22 at 04:50 PM.
Likes For sovende:
Old 01-16-22, 03:56 PM
sovende

Here’s the “all telling” drive-side photo

Last edited by sovende; 01-16-22 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-18-22, 03:23 PM
sovende

A few more pics!

A little surprised to get no replies or comments (but did get some likes &#128077. Thought I’d add a few more pics just for fun.

Likes For sovende:
Old 01-18-22, 03:58 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Seems worth cleaning up, for sure. No braze on for FD or bottle cages, would that put it in the mid 70's?
Old 01-18-22, 04:09 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
Alright, a free Japanese Lotus from the 80's...nice. I like how clean that dropout is on what's likely a lower model.

It's probably a great ride and your daughter should love it. Good for her for bin diving!

shelbyfv I was thinking 70's as well but the vertical dropout? Not really sure when they started. The front fork reminds me of a mid 70's Fuji but they were ubiquitous.
Likes For clubman:
Old 01-18-22, 05:04 PM
sovende

The Classic Japanese Bicycles website leads me to believe that the KN 012xx s/n dates the frame either 1980 or 1981. I do suppose a frame made in late ‘80 could be for a ‘81 model. I agree this bike is closer to the “entry level” but not rock bottom of the line. The vertical dropouts and the integral derailleur hanger, IMHO, do push the frame up a notch or two. A bit surprised RE: the absence of brazed on shifter bosses and water bottle mounts. Neither are deal breakers. I don’t exactly know where the Shimano 600 group-set fits into hierarchy of that era but again I don’t believe “Rock bottom”.
I’m not sure just how “in love” my daughter will be with this bike. I think that she had my interests more in mind while Dumpster Diving. The frame is likely too small for me but perfect for her! She may have a change of heart once I get it “dolled up” .
It’s way too cold this month for most outdoor activities so now I have a indoor project! To be sure, I have other projects but this one will be fun.
Old 01-18-22, 05:59 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Isn't that the "Arabesque" group? I think it's Ultegra level.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-18-22, 06:32 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
Arabesque was '78 to '84 assuming it's original. Never low end but the brakes are. OP, there's maybe a date code on the derailleurs? Hubs?
Old 01-18-22, 08:47 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
The graphics on that one are the earlier style for Lotus. I’ve worked on an excell for a friend before and it’s a great bike. That bike, to me is definitely not low end. I’d say it’s solid mid-level. I have the lowest end Lotus America, and it is way lower end than this. Steel seat-post, stamped dropouts, RD hanger claw, etc.

I have an early 80s eclair, and it is an all around fantastic bike. The excell is similar enough, and likely equally excellent. I personally love the brand, I had 4 and kept 3 of them. The only lotus that left me cold was the pacific built sprint.
Old 01-19-22, 09:09 AM
sovende

I'm going to have to do a bit more clean up to read the info on the "inside" of the RD. The hubs are both Shimano and the rear hub has a "EF" code and found an online reference indicating a manufacturer date of 1980, June. If the KN 012xx frame code follows the possible (but not verified) rule of Y=year & F=fortnight, and believe the Classic Japanese Bicycle website's suggestion that K=1980 with N=the fourteenth fortnight (early July) then the manufacturer dates of the frame and hub would be very close and perhaps confirm the bike's 1980/1981 vintage and rule out any suggestion of '70s vintage.
While looking for these date codes on the components, I did notice some signs of neglect that may take more than a "fluff & buff" to remedy. I believe a near complete tear down wouldn't be unreasonable for this bike.
Old 01-19-22, 12:01 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
I agree with solid mid level....that is the famed Arabesque 600 derailer and shifters. should be good for your daughter if it fits. this would also make a great townie, throw on some bars like velo orange left bank or postino and brake levers, possibly thumb shifters (i would just keep the downtube...did exactly this on on a SR semi pro) add some fenders and a rack (it has the needed eyelets)

Old 01-19-22, 04:27 PM
sovende

Glad to learn that most believe that this bike isn't at the bottom of the product line! Not sure at this point just how enthused my daughter actually is about getting it back BUT for now that's the story given to the Fun Police . Daughter has three other bikes and space is an issue. Time (and just how nice it cleans up) will tell.
I know that others gauge a Dumpster rescue's prognosis on a few critical factors, so I'll start the rehab by saying that the seat post WAS NOT fused into the seat tube! The aluminum SR seat post is marked 26.0 and I'm guessing OEM. Unfortunately, it's been "decorated" with Bubba's DIY crosshatching on about half of the exposed section. I've yet to check out the "fusion" status of the stem quill/steerer tube.
The chain will likely be replaced but I usually give them a kerosene bath followed by a soak in EvapoRust just for fun. The freewheel gets the kerosene treatment too and maybe a rebuild. The kerosene soaks can occur while I free up one of my workstands. Between recent retirement, COVID and frigid Winter weather, I seem to have plenty of free time.
Old 01-20-22, 01:45 PM
sovende

Took the chain off and dropped the rear wheel out so I could remove the freewheel and get them cleaned up. Quickly realized that what I thought to be a freewheel was, in fact, a cassette type cluster! I guess I wasn't aware that cassettes were available (at least, common) in the early '80s . That will be added to growing list of other things that I'm not aware of . The cassette will, of course, be coming off the hub an enjoying a kero soak! There's some light surface rust on a few of the cogs that should come off easily. Every time I look closer at this bike, I find myself liking it even more .
Old 01-20-22, 01:49 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
Took the chain off and dropped the rear wheel out so I could remove the freewheel and get them cleaned up. Quickly realized that what I thought to be a freewheel was, in fact, a cassette type cluster! I guess I wasn't aware that cassettes were available (at least, common) in the early '80s . That will be added to growing list of other things that I'm not aware of . The cassette will, of course, be coming off the hub an enjoying a kero soak! There's some light surface rust on a few of the cogs that should come off easily. Every time I look closer at this bike, I find myself liking it even more .
again like my SR semi pro... and I am sure you know this is a 2 chainwhip removal, as the small cog screws on to hole the rest..... another indicator of hi mid level bike in my mind

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-20-22, 02:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,855 Times in 6,071 Posts
The old Vintage Lotus Bicycles website appears to be defunct, but I found this on the Wayback Machine

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-20-22, 02:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Looks like it's a 1980.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-20-22, 03:43 PM
sovende

Originally Posted by genejockey
The old Vintage Lotus Bicycles website appears to be defunct, but I found this on the Wayback Machine
Nice recap of the 1st gen Lotus Excelle model! Thank you
And yes, I concur, 1980 model.
Old 01-20-22, 03:48 PM
sovende

Originally Posted by squirtdad
again like my SR semi pro... and I am sure you know this is a 2 chainwhip removal, as the small cog screws on to hole the rest..... another indicator of hi mid level bike in my mind
on the chain whips for removal! I knew that I have two for a reason. I too, agree that the bike is higher on the "food chain" than I originally thought .
Old 01-20-22, 05:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

on the chain whips for removal! I knew that I have two for a reason. I too, agree that the bike is higher on the "food chain" than I originally thought .
Are your sure it's a cassette hub? The Excelle originally came with freewheel hubs. If it looks like there are splines, that could be for the Shimano freewheel removal tool. There would be no visible splines on inside of the hub if it were a Uniglide freehub.

Old 01-20-22, 05:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Here's a pic of the cluster.

%5BIMG%5Dhttps://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikeforums.net-vbulletin/2000x2000/80-img_0031_8b3bd1a01db5a6209cc1a68ce79340343f47687e.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

Should have taken a pic looking between the cogs. Sure looks like a cassette to me
Your pic doesn't show.

Old 01-20-22, 05:52 PM
sovende

Your pic doesn't show.
Ya, having issues. Should be able to fix it here in a few minutes.

looks like a cassette to me.
Old 01-20-22, 05:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Ya, having issues. Should be able to fix it here in a few minutes.

looks like a cassette to me.
Yep! That's a Uniglide freehub alright. So much fun to take those off.....

It's possible the wheels, or at least the rear wheel, are a later replacement. Or perhaps Lotus was inconsistent in their use of components. A lot can happen to a bike in 42 years!

Old 01-20-22, 06:10 PM
sovende

Yep! That's a Uniglide freehub alright. So much fun to take those off.....

It's possible the wheels, or at least the rear wheel, are a later replacement. Or perhaps Lotus was inconsistent in their use of components. A lot can happen to a bike in 42 years!
The rims match and both the front and rear hubs seem to match as the Shimano logos are the same. I seriously doubt that an individual that was serious enough to upgrade from a freewheel to a cassette would just dump the bike into a Dumpster. That does assume a single owner tho. Perhaps this bike was assembled late in the model year and started to get the following year’s components in a piecemeal fashion .
Old 01-20-22, 06:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The rims match and both the front and rear hubs seem to match as the Shimano logos are the same. I seriously doubt that an individual that was serious enough to upgrade from a freewheel to a cassette would just dump the bike into a Dumpster. That does assume a single owner tho. Perhaps this bike was assembled late in the model year and started to get the following year’s components in a piecemeal fashion .
There's a suggestion that Lotus did that in the description on the Excelle page I linked. I mean, "Lotus" was basically an importer, so whoever was putting the bikes together (Tsunoda?) might not have been strict in making sure all the bits matched.

But like I said, a lot can happen to a bike over the decades. My Lotus Supreme from 1982 ended up with Dia Compe brake levers instead of Dura Ace EX and Mavic MA40 clincher rims instead of the original Ukai tubulars. And a Campy headset instead of Dura Ace EX.

Old 01-20-22, 06:45 PM
sovende

There's a suggestion that Lotus did that in the description on the Excelle page I linked. I mean, "Lotus" was basically an importer, so whoever was putting the bikes together (Tsunoda?) might not have been strict in making sure all the bits matched.

But like I said, a lot can happen to a bike over the decades. My Lotus Supreme from 1982 ended up with Dia Compe brake levers instead of Dura Ace EX and Mavic MA40 clincher rims instead of the original Ukai tubulars. And a Campy headset instead of Dura Ace EX.
I’m not a “purist” in most situations so whether or not the parts on this bike are OEM is not an issue. Since most of the existing components, at the very least, appear to be in working condition, I see little need to replace anything other than perhaps cables, tires and brake shoes. If my daughter decides to keep it, I’ll leave the “suicide” brake levers in place (for some reason she likes them ). Otherwise, they’ll be going away .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.