Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stupid question about my rear derailleur

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-01-22, 06:49 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 100 Posts

I currently have a 2x10 setup with shimano deore.
i know that i must use the larger cog while on the rear the chain is near the smallest ,at the same time on other bikes i can use the combination of the smallest front cog and smallest rear cog even if is not correct. In that case i can still pedaling whitout noticing that the cogs combinations is not right , on my bike the chain seems working in a strange way amd sometimes jump (in the worst case scenario if i try to climb with the wrong combinations the chain keep jumping and the bike is not pedalable at all).
I noticed that the derailleur seems in a wrong positions , compared to other bikes with the same setup.

This is the derailleur on my bike , notice that the chain is touching himself at the point of the bigger pulley.

this other image has been taked from a random website , as you can see the derailleur is almost on the same position but the chain seems to be in a better positions.

Do you think i must adjust my derailleur (maybe adding more tension to the hanger's bolt forcing it to keep the chain more in tension) or i must shorten the chain a bit?
(or i there is another solution please write it down)

Sorry for my bad eng
Old 03-01-22, 06:55 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
There are no stupid questions and sorry for my lack of Italian, but I'm pretty sure your chain is too long. No doubt more experienced voices will chime in soon.

Here's a good chain length video
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...-length-sizing
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 03-01-22, 07:27 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
Agree with @BTinNYC that the chain appears to be too long for that specific gear combination. But the large sprocket on the cassette is pretty big, so shortening the chain may cause problems in the large-large gear combination. If that's the case, a longer derailleur cage to wrap more chain may help. Failing that, I'd leave the chain as is and just avoid the small-small combination, because too short chain risks damaging the derailleur, while too long chain is just annoying.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-01-22, 07:34 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,880 Times in 1,645 Posts
One more thing: it is best to use the smallest cogs as little as possible because they wear out the fastest. Using the big or middle ring in front with the middle cogs in back gives the same gear ratios as using the small ring in front with the smaller cogs and is best for long wear.
Old 03-01-22, 08:31 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
When in the small/small crossover combo the chin can snag on the chain pick up tabs that are on the large chainring. It's possible that one bike has just enough chain/large ring clearance to not catch on these shift tabs but another bike might not have that clearance and thus the chain will be trying to shift onto the large ring, sort of but without enough help (via the ft der being shifted). Andy
Old 03-01-22, 08:48 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Check your B screw. I'm guessing your B gap is off also.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-01-22, 09:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Your chain might be too long. However you also need to put it in the big/big combo and see what that looks like. If your rear DR cage is stretched extended or articulated to it's max with no more travel left, that will be an issue if you shorten the chain.

edit: changed stretched to extended or articulated. I knew someone would probably pounce on that saying you can't stretch a DR cage!

Last edited by Iride01; 03-01-22 at 09:06 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-01-22, 10:44 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

edit: changed stretched to extended or articulated. I knew someone would probably pounce on that saying you can't stretch a DR cage!
I’m reasonably certain he’d object to saying anything other than a rubber band can be “stretched”
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-01-22, 10:46 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Post a pic with the chain in the largest chainring and largest cog (big-big).

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-04-22, 08:48 AM
CrowSeph

Update: i adjusted the B-screw and removed 3 links from the chain (based on the parktool explaination video) now seems pretty good.

Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 03-04-22, 01:10 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
You should shift into the large-large combination and confirm that the rear derailleur can accommodate this. If the chain's too short, it will bind and stop the pedals. If the rider does this while riding, they may tear the derailleur and/or hanger off! (As me how I know! OK, I'll tell you. I set up my mountain bike with a short cage derailleur way back when to "be cool." I knew not to shift into large-large. Just a quirk of my bike. But when I let my uncle ride my bike, I didn't remember to tell him this and he had no idea about avoiding large-large, so he did it. And I had a two-piece derailleur thereafter!)
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 03-04-22, 01:41 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
+1 on making sure large/large works.

we all say "oh I know it doesn't work, but I will never use it" which is good until you slam into that position without thinking..... which can result in a bunch of things including sudden deceleration (another ask my how i know )

Old 03-04-22, 02:31 PM
CrowSeph

Originally Posted by squirtdad
+1 on making sure large/large works.

we all say "oh I know it doesn't work, but I will never use it" which is good until you slam into that position without thinking..... which can result in a bunch of things including sudden deceleration (another ask my how i know )
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
You should shift into the large-large combination and confirm that the rear derailleur can accommodate this. If the chain's too short, it will bind and stop the pedals. If the rider does this while riding, they may tear the derailleur and/or hanger off! (As me how I know! OK, I'll tell you. I set up my mountain bike with a short cage derailleur way back when to "be cool." I knew not to shift into large-large. Just a quirk of my bike. But when I let my uncle ride my bike, I didn't remember to tell him this and he had no idea about avoiding large-large, so he did it. And I had a two-piece derailleur thereafter!)
Already tested and everything seems to work correctly. But is better to test it out during a ride session.
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 03-05-22, 11:22 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,358 Times in 2,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
One more thing: it is best to use the smallest cogs as little as possible because they wear out the fastest. Using the big or middle ring in front with the middle cogs in back gives the same gear ratios as using the small ring in front with the smaller cogs and is best for long wear.
On the flip side they're the easiest to find and replace individually.