Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

First Toronto road fatality 2022

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

First Toronto road fatality 2022

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-22, 11:59 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
It really shouldn't matter. In other cities around the world, they have made it the driver's responsibility and as a result deaths and collisions have dropped.

But let's say that you are correct. Let's remove all the pedestrians off the road. The average annual road deaths amongst motorists pre-pandemic is 15 per year ranging from 11 to 27. During lockdowns and work from home, in 2020 that dropped to 7 because less drivers on the road means less collisions with each other. In 2021, it's gone back up to 21. Do we dare guess how many road deaths would result if we remove all motor vehicles?

Again, take a look at those vintage videos of major cities in the 1910s

The case of Duncan Xu was that he was returning home from school. He took the normal route by walking through a pedestrian thoroughfare from one street to another. His neighbourhood is near a major intersection. Many impatient drivers by-pass the intersection by cutting through Duncan Xu's neighbourhood. One day, a driver did just that. He jumped the curb and killed Duncan Xu. Although Duncan Xu had done nothing wrong, the last I know, the city closed off the pedestrian path that all the students and their caregivers use. And as far as I know, nothing had been done to stop drivers from cutting through that neighbourhood.

And I can post links showing how many cars in Toronto actually do jump curbs damaging property and killing people inside.

Prepandemic I used to ride 18kms to get to where I go on Wednesday mornings. If I ride through park trails, it would take 1 hr and 15min, the same as taking public transit. If I ride in a direct route through traffic, it would take 1 hour sometimes less. Both routes are approximately the same distance. Are you going to say that the collisions per km are the same through the park trails as through the streets? The street has way more cars on the road and that's what makes it more dangerous than the park trail.

And finally, if any driver in a collision says " I didn't even see him" that has to be an admission of guilt because operating any other dangerous piece of machinery and not paying attention is negligence.

A driver's licence means you're taking on responsibility.

Last edited by Daniel4; 02-07-22 at 12:09 PM.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 02-07-22, 12:13 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
It really shouldn't matter. In other cities around the world, they have made it the driver's responsibility and as a result deaths and collisions have dropped.
Actually, many people from such places have said that those policies (which contradict typical internationally agreed legal principles) are largely irrelevant to road safety.

What actually matters is that those societies have chosen to take non-motorized transport seriously - including in all of the supporting ways that so often lack.

In contrast, in the US, lots of showy effort goes into things that don't really make getting around without a car that much easier - and at times may even make it less safe, in dangerously unobvious ways, for example 3-season bike paths that go the wrong way for their side of a roadway, or are mis-positioned outside turning lanes..

The case of...
You are making it very clear that you are motivated by a pre-conceived agenda, when once your arguments about one situation prove contrary to the facts, you go an search up a completely different and entirely unrelated one in order to try to continue an argument.

And finally, if any driver in a collision says " I didn't even see him" that has to be an admission of guilt because operating any other dangerous piece of machinery and not paying attention is negligence.
Please, tell us how you you feel about trains that strike people who illegally cross the tracks? Sorry, train conductors (legally, the conductor is in charge)

Last edited by UniChris; 02-07-22 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-07-22, 03:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Have a look at vintage videos on youtube of some major cities around 1910. On major roads, we see tram cars, horse and buggies, cars on the road but also pedestrians walking all over the place. I looked but could not find any kind of pedestrian fatality statistics for that time. My guess is that fatalities jumped when pedestrians were moved off the roads and motor vehicles were allowed to go faster. Humans had been walking all over the roads for several thousand years. And now it's illegal because cars want to go fast and straight turning drivers into zombies.
Your guess is wrong--the fatalities shot up, so they instituted the segregation of pedestrians from the road and forced cars into lanes, instituted traffic control, and required signaling.. Prior to that, pedestrians, especially children were getting killed so fast they really couldn't keep up the count-- https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...roit/26312107/

Watch those videos on YouTube a bit closer--what you'll see is a series of close calls over and over. Getting off a streetcar in a crowded city street was, at best, a terrifying experience.
Old 02-18-22, 10:36 PM
Daniel4

The fourth pedestrian to be killed and the driver released.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...eets-1.6357076
Old 03-07-22, 04:33 PM
Daniel4

Fifth pedestrian death.
No need to state the cause of death.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...dies-1.6375018

Road deaths to date:
2 drivers
5 pedestrians
0 cyclists
Old 03-07-22, 10:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Fifth pedestrian death.
No need to state the cause of death.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...dies-1.6375018

Road deaths to date:
2 drivers
5 pedestrians
0 cyclists
Well, if you're going to turn this into a scoreboard, are cyclists winning or losing?