Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

WDFW, DNR seek public feedback on eBikes

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-22, 03:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

OLYMPIA – The Washington departments of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and Natural Resources (DNR) are seeking public input on electric-assist bicycling, or e-biking, on WDFW and DNR-managed lands as part of a process directed by Senate Bill 5452, a bill that passed the state Legislature in 2021.

Members of the public are invited to two virtual public meetings scheduled for 12:30 to 2:00 p.m., Thursday, May 12, and 5:30 to 7:00 p.m., Wednesday, May 18. The departments are also taking public feedback through an online public survey, available in English and Spanish, through Friday, July 15.
https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/wdfw-dnr-se...-managed-lands
Old 04-26-22, 08:00 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
I have an 82 yr old acquaintance who wouldn't be able to ride without an ebike. He rides a class 1 ebike which gives him enough help to keep going. I'd love to see those areas oppened up to class 1 bikes.
Old 04-27-22, 10:40 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
I have an 82 yr old acquaintance who wouldn't be able to ride without an ebike. He rides a class 1 ebike which gives him enough help to keep going. I'd love to see those areas oppened up to class 1 bikes.
​​​​​​Tell them (departments of natural resources and fish and wildlife). This is why they're asking, and why I posted this. They're going to update the rules about where eBikes are allowed, and want the public's input for guidance.
Old 04-27-22, 10:59 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
I will do. - I'm in Oregon, but will still fill out the WA survey. I am hoping Oregon will follow suit. I believe there was a meeting scheduled to happen in OR a couple of years ago that was canceled due to COVID. It's a complicated issue, but could open up some areas for people who couldn't access those areas without the assist. Technically by federal law, any federal land that is closed to motorized vehicles is closed to ebikes. That means hundreds of miles of gated FS roads that are open to bicycles, but closed to e-bikes. Most e-bike riders do not realize they're breaking the law when they cross over that gate to ride free of the worry of car traffic.

I've tried to figure out the Oregon state law for gated roads, but it's a bit unclear. I'd assume that when McKenzie Pass opens up late spring to bikes it is technically closed to ebikes until the gate opens. I think my 82 yr old friend would really enjoy that ride out of Sisters. I doubt anyone would prosecute, but there should be some clarification in the law.

Last edited by mtnbud; 04-27-22 at 11:03 AM.
Likes For mtnbud: