Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Adjusting mechanical disc brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-22, 07:21 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,284 Times in 709 Posts

Some questions about mechanical (aka, fully cabled/wired, not hydraulic) disc brakes...specifically, TRP Spyre-C from 2018, in case that makes a difference.

- over time, the levers start to get a little mushier and have to pull closer to the bars to fully engage braking. Is this due to pad wear, cable stretch, or both?

- to compensate for ^^^that (so that the lever doesn't have to pull so close to the bar to fully engage braking) should I be tweaking the barrel adjuster, or the pad depth adjustment screws? (Or does it depend on whether the issue is caused by pad wear or cable stretch?)

Thanks.
Old 05-09-22, 07:37 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I have TRP Spyres on my Surly Midnight Special so I'm familiar with them. It's almost certainly pad wear unless you didn't tighten the cable anchor bolt adequately. Cable "stretch" happens in the first few firm brake applications and then stabilizes, it shouldn't be a continuous problem.

Adjust the major pad clearance using the pad adjustment screws, you don't want the yoke to go over center. Use the barrel adjuster only for refining the lever position.
Likes For HillRider: